Posted by fatbatman
on July 2, 2008 at 7:54 AM PDT
Here is a list of my thoughts/questions/feedback on Java6u10 that I compiled for a scheduled conference call with Sun that didn't happen. Instead of wasting the notes I thought I'd post them here.
All comments welcome.
1. On the install "Java Setup - Welcome" screen - why is the View Licence Agreement the biggest and most prominent button? The accept button should be. Also the default button (that pressed if I click the enter key) is focused on decline! I would re-work this screen/dialog.
2. Kernal Installer - We really need to be able to specify the set of components that will be downloaded initially if we know they're definitely going to be needed. Otherwise it just means an extra wait for the user when they think it's all finished.
3. The http://www.java.com/en/ page opened when I first opened an applet after installing Java with the Kernal installer!!!! Not nice.
4. It's not clear to the user what is happening when the Java kernal installer is downloading the extra packages. The applet appears to be doing nothing, I think something is displayed in the status bar of the browser or something but it's not obviously to the user.
5. JMC - is really, really important to us we absolutely need good media features for web cams and microphones with a good
This should not require a signed applet to use, but should prompt the user with a standard notification box if the applet attempts to access the webcam etc, when not in a signed applet.
6. Do applets now support transparency like Flash movies can?
7. Browser crashing in old versions must be prevented at all costs.
8. More done to prevent badly behaved applets slowing down a system. We you leave a webpage any processes created as a result of being on that page should be frozen or killed.
9. I had Problems when Internet Explorer and Firefox when both were open during an install.
10. Create a free Java Flash clone for creating simple vector graphics. Will JavaFX have a free Flash editor, with a timeline for making simple animation etc?
(This editor could have auto obfuscation - where compressed code is sent then the actual class files are retrieved when needed to display a StackTrace)
11. Dynamically downloading jars. Dynamically adding jars to the classpath used to require a bit of a hack where by you have a call a method using reflection.
12. 3D is probably very important as Flash doesn't have this. Leverage the casual game developers.
13. Yahoo toolbar. Needs to go.
14. System tray icon. Needs to go.
15. I believe the security permissions have now been relaxed and it's now possible to download an image from a remote server. Is that the case for other types of connections also, HTML, RSS, Streaming media etc. This is important for creating "mashable" applications.
16. For the graphics performance tests (and swing tests), perhaps you should have a standard applet with a set of standard tests that will run then auto-report on and or ask for user feedback based on what they saw.