Posted by calvinaustin
on September 21, 2010 at 2:33 PM PDT
I look forward to Javaone each year and have been trying to think what could have happened to my old friend, with the oracle/google legal case in the background, and the campaign for Oracle to make good on creating an independent foundation that they wanted years ago I wasn't entirely sure what to expect.
So here goes:
- The neighborhood isn't quite the same, as others have commented it requires a medium length walk between the two sites, a boom for the pan-handlers each way. The hugeness reminds me a little of the old comdex
- That said the tents work great as a community space, Tap and Brew, gotta to love that.
- Javaone keynotes got dressed up in a suit, and all business like. At least Apolo Ohno was allowed to not wear a suit jacket. Apolo seemed to roll with the show at the later event that night. His diet was impressive, losing 20 pounds and benchpressing 1980pounds. The Intel and Oracle keynote was a typical commercial spot I'm afraid. Came over a little flat to me.
- I would have got a better connection if Thomas Kurian said he wasn't an expert in project lambda but knew it was beneficial instead of appearing to repeat lines by rote. Maybe he does understand it, but it didn't come across that way.
- Someone spent a lot of time on the JavaFX demos, would have been nice to give a shoutout to the developers (if the developer wasn't the one showing the demo)
- It does look like there is some planned effort to single down to one VM and cross fertlize features and an improved Java on the client. Time will only tell what happens there,
Next up day two