Different versions with the same name, and different behavior.
I download the newest release of Java when it comes out.
As precaution, I run with the newest versions for a while prior to recommending my clients to upgrade.
The first week with 1.6_21 was hell.Tomcat was running out memory, both NetBeans and Eclipse routinely died.
I patched my environments by setting with -XX:MaxPermSize set to 512m.
I found out the cause of my problems:http://tinyurl.com/38nr6v8 A bug arose when Oracle changed the company field name in Java from "Sun Microsystems, Inc" to "Oracle Corporation".
I went to Java.com to see if I was running the latest/greatest. The nice little display said I was running the latest.
I used Java –version to verify, which returned Java 1.6_21-b06.
Reading the articles and blogs, 1.6_21-b06 was incorrect.The latest was 1.6_21-b07.
I went the JDK route, which uninstalled, and then installed the latest.Now my environment says Java 1.6_21-b07.
It would be nice if Oracle would have Java.com actually look at subversions, or had this patch actually Java 1.6_22.Yes, it’s embarrassing, I’m embarrassed for Oracle, but don’t let Java 1.6_21-b06 hanging out there by simply not updating the Java.com site.
Your use of this web site or any of its content or software indicates your agreement to be bound by these Terms of Participation.