Posted by mhadley
on February 3, 2009 at 8:38 AM PST
Its been just over two years since the last version of WADL was published and, in the intervening time, a number of issues have accumulated. I've held off making regular updates for reasons of stability but I think there's sufficient backlog now to require a new version. First drafts of the updated specification and schemas are available at:
Changes since the November 2006 Publication:
- The XML namespace name was changed to http://wadl.dev.java.net/2009/02 .
- Resolved issue 13 . The status attribute was moved from the representation element to the response element. The cardinality of the response element was changed from 0–1 to 0–many. The fault element was removed.
- Resolved issue 17 . Allow parameters at top level and parameter references to prevent repetition when a parameter is used in multiple places.
- Resolved issue 18 . A resource type element may now contain resource child elements.
- Resolved issue 20 . Allow multiple resources elements within an application.
- Updated the Atompub example to RFC syntax.
Unfortunately the changes required by issue 13 are not backwards compatible hence the namespace change. Existing WADL docs will require minor edits as a result.
All feedback on the new draft is welcome. Now would be a good time to file bug reports or request enhancements .