Posted by terrencebarr
on February 11, 2009 at 11:05 PM PST
This morning, at 6 am GMT, JavaFX Mobile was launched as part of the JavaFX SDK 1.1 release. Together with this release there were a bunch of announcements, new versions of the JavaFX tool chain and runtime, the Java 6 Update 12, as well as numerous updates to JavaFX.com content, videos, and samples.
This is exciting news. Let's look at the details:
- First, and foremost, JavaFX Mobile is now available, which brings the expressive and rich functionality of JavaFX to the most widely deployed platform in the mobile industry - the Java ME platform with nearly 3 billion devices.
- JavaFX Mobile represents the "golden bits" - the functionality and APIs in this release are final as implemented in the mobile emulator and will be the foundation of JavaFX Mobile devices going forward.
- The JavaFX SDK has been updated to version 1.1 which not only contains JavaFX Mobile but also includes several new features in the JavaFX platform along with numerous performance and stability improvements, footprint reductions, and bug fixes. Downloads and release notes are here .
- A range of key companies and partners in the mobile ecosystem are announcing their support for JavaFX Mobile. LG Electronics and SonyEricsson are committed to delivering JavaFX Mobile handsets in 2009, Orange and Sprint have begun carrier testing, and a number of cutting-edge ISVs are working on JavaFX Mobile-based content.
- At JavaOne 2009 attendees will be able to get JavaFX Mobile enabled developer handsets.
- A bunch of new samples have been posted to the JavaFX.com samples page - among them samples specifically for mobile such as a mobile video player , a client for the Yahoo! shopping API , and a sample integrating device accelerometers .
- Java 6 Update 12 has been released - adding a number of performance improvements and 64-bit Java plug-in support.
- Sang Shin and Jim Weaver are announcing a new, free "JavaFX Programming (with Passion!) Online Course"
- And finally, the videos on JavaFX.com are now actually powered by Java! ;-)
JavaFX: It's Here. It's Real.
JavaFX has gone from a vision at JavaOne 2008 to a reality. JavaFX Desktop/Web is rapidly evolving and getting traction while JavaFX Mobile is following closely on its heels - coming to mainstream devices in 2009.
More News and Info
Be sure to listen to the Java Mobile & Embedded podcast #71 - Eric Klein, VP of Java Marketing at Sun talks about "JavaFX for Mobile Devices". In the interview Eric makes a passionate case for bringing expressive content to all screens of people's lives and why handset manufacturers, operators, developers, content creators, and Sun really are all in the same boat. Also hear Eric talk about:
- The JavaFX Mobile "OTA player"
- The upcoming JavaFX developer contest
Finally, be sure to check out the Planetarium , the official JavaFX blog and watch the Java Mobile & Embedded Community home page.
And learn more about the big coming-out of JavaFX Mobile at this year's Mobile World Congress , Feb 16-19 in in Barcelona, Spain. Sun (booth - #2C12; Hall 2) will be introducing partners, early devices, and content and applications to the world.
And if you're into press releases: "Sun Launches JavaFX Mobile With Support From Industry ..."
The final word?
JavaFX is a journey - it's moving rapidly. But boy, has the world of Java become exciting again the last three months. Wouldn't you agree?