Posted by ahashim
on January 19, 2008 at 2:08 PM PST
Geertjan Wielenga asked me this question while the interview published on JavaLobby 2 weeks ago. I will write in more details my opinion about the Java popularity in Egypt.
How Java is popular in Egypt?
In my interview with Geertjan Wielenga , he asked me this question, I think Java popularity is around 25% in Egypt. Some friends asked me verbally about the reason behind my opinion.
.net platform is very popular because of
- .net is popular in universities, very easy to learn and TA's can easily work through it. In some egypian universities, you will not find any student know Java. I did a presentation in one of those universities , check this event and see the comments of the students. Another guy telling that his university student also don't know yet about Java.
- The number of graduation projects being developed by .net is more than those developed by Java, because .net is easy to startup and can make a showy project in less time than other. As a result, guys who developed a graduation project with .net will target .net developer vacancies after graduation.
- Microsoft supports the universities and provide them with a training material and free license for the software. Sometimes they offer a free training program for all students.
- Every year, Microsoft make a celebration for honoring the students who have used .net in their graduation projects.
- The training programs we have by the government focus on .net technologies.
- Microsoft has an active office in Cairo with 100's of partners. They are doing good marketing for their products.
- In the companies I know, the .net team usually bigger than the Java team.
- Microsoft pays attention to the Egyptian market & Middle East, unlike Sun, IBM, Oracle and other Java vendors.
- Companies can easily find .net developers with differnt skills & experience, while Java developers are not easy to find and hire, speacially the senir guys.
On the other hand, it seems that the Java community more active than others, check Google Trends you will see that the search on Google about Java is more than other technologies like (C#, VB, RoR, PHP) allover the year.
Also the Java news reader are more than PHP, while .net doesn't exists! this what I noticed withing the .net developers in Egypt, almost all of them don't read blogs or articles .. the main source of knowldge is MSDN!