Posted by arungupta
on October 30, 2007 at 8:19 AM PDT
Rama and I
presented on Metro and
jMaki in Silicon Valley Code Camp last
Saturday. Here are the pictures
It was good to meet Peter Kellner
(SVCC Orgaznier, Aaron Houston (Program Coordinator for JUGs),
Van Riper (Silicon
Valley JUG Founder), Kevin Nelson (Silicon
Valley Web JUG Founder),
(of iDesign) and many others.
And here is a recap of the question/answers asked during the two sessions:
- Takes 2 Tango: Java and .NET Interoperability
- jMaki: Multiple Languages, Multiple Toolkits
- Are slides available ?
Yes, very well. They are available
here . A link to the demos shown in the talk is available at:
- How can the messages in jMaki be localized ?
Client-side localization is achieved using JSON on the client and is
described here .
Server-side localization will use property files and will be
delivered in the next release.
- What part of Flash is supported ?
Flash can be wrapped and the only example we have is
jMaki sound . In
general, jMaki strives to be 100% plug-in free.
- How much support is available in Eclipse ?
The jMaki plugin for Eclipse is available
here . A
detailed screencast showing all the steps clearly is available
separate .js file ?
There is easy way in a platform neutral way around this to allow for
multiple calls back to the server. There is a complicated
alternative that requires more steps and that's why not followed.
- Can custom layouts be used for index.jsp ?
Yes, jMaki layouts are CSS-based and can be replaced with any
- How much drag/drop support is available in NetBeans/PHP ?
NetBeans PHP support
is available in
Daily Build . Once PHP support is baked, jMaki modules will be
- What are minimum browser requirements for jMaki ?
jMaki runs on all current generation of browsers as mentioned
here .Here is
- IE 6 and 7 on Windows XP and Vista
- Firefox 1.5 and 2.x on Solaris, Linux, Windows XP/Vista
- Safari 2.x and Firefox 1.5 on Mac OS X
- Can jMaki CSS layouts be used instead of Rails layouts ?
This functionality is not available in jMaki 1.0. However you can
create a Stylized RHTML using jMaki CSS layouts.
Day @ Beijing .