Posted by terrencebarr
on April 16, 2007 at 7:18 AM PDT
- 4/20/2007: Added TS-7498
- 4/24/2007: Removed duplicated session
- 4/25/2007: Added BlackBerry sessions & party
- 4/26/2007: Updated CommunityOne session times and order
- 5/04/2007: Added robosapiens contest, announcements, participation in CommunityOne talk
JavaOne 2007 in San Francisco is almost upon us (May 8 - 11). It is again shaping up to packed with information and exciting events including some new things like the "Day 0" CommunityOne event on May 7 (see below for more info).
This being year 1 of Java ME open source we have worked especially hard to expand the Java ME footprint at JavaOne to include as much relevant and interesting mobile and embedded content, expertise, and events as possible and to give you a chance to mix and mingle with the community and catch up with all the things going on in the Java ME space.
Since JavaOne is so big it is easy to miss out on something or overlook an interesting event or talk. I thought it would be useful to collect all the various bits and pieces related to Java ME and the Mobile & Embedded Community and create a "Java ME Guide to JavaOne 2007" for overview and quick reference.
Please be aware that, as with any such event, all information is subject to last minute changes. I've tried to include all relevant URLs so be sure to check those before the event to make sure you're up-to-date.
Also, please leave comments or email me if you have changes or additions to this guide. I will try to continuously update it to make sure it provides the latest information.
Enjoy JavaOne 2007 . Hope to see you there!
Java ME Guide to JavaOne 2007
CommunityOne , May 7 (Monday), 10:30 am - 7:30 pm ("Day 0" - the day before JavaOne)
- General Session (10:00 am -11:00 pm)
Break-out Sessions (11:00 am - 6:00 pm, lunch will be served)
OpenJDK and Mobile & Embedded Break-out (four combined talks with OpenJDK and M&E)
- Getting Started in the OpenJDK and Mobile & Embedded Communities (11:05 am - 12:00 noon)
- Six Month Report: Project and Progress in OpenJDK and Mobile & Embedded (12:10 pm - 1:20 pm)
- How to Open Source in 6 Months Or Less - The Java Platform Case Study (1:30 pm - 2:30 pm)
- OpenJDK and Mobile & Embedded Fishbowl Discussion (4:00 pm - 4:50 pm)
- Plus: Presentations by Vodafone Betavine and OpenLaszlo
- Community Reception (6:00 pm -7:30 pm)
Plus: .Org Zone Pavilion
CommunityOne is a free event! Register here .
JavaOne, May 8 - 11 (Tuesday - Friday)
- Announcements: Throughout the week you will hear several important announcements around Java ME and the Mobile & Embedded Community. Stay tuned for exciting news.
- "Robosapiens Developer Contest": Write MIDlets to make a Robosapiens robot dance and escape the "Room of Doom". The contest details are here.
- "Device of Show": Sorry, I can't divulge any details - but I think you'll like it. Definitely a geek toy. Will be available to JavaOne attendees at a special show price.
- "JavaOne Special" podcast planned a few days before JavaOne. Check the Mobile & Embedded Community page for details at that time
- JavaOne "Rock Stars" awards highlighting popular speakers and their sessions, for example Rodney Aiglstorfer with his talk TS-5927 "Troubleshooting Java ME Technology: Tips from the Pros"
- Meet & Greet/Un-BoF and Bloggers Social, Thirsty Bear Restaurant, Wednesday, May 9 (6:00 pm - onwards)
- CommunityOne reception (see above), Monday, May 7 (6:00 pm -7:30 pm)
General Sessions with Java ME interest
Tuesday, May 8
- Sun General Session with Jonathan Schwarz and Rich Green (8:30 am - 10:00 am)
- Sun General Session with Robert Brewin (1:30 pm - 3:00 pm)
- Mobility and Device General Session with Laurie Tolson (3:20 pm - 4:20 pm)
Thursday, May 10
- Motorola General Session with Padmasree Warrior and Christy Wyatt (8:30 am - 9:15 am)
Friday, May 11
- James Gosling's "The Toy Show" (8:30 am - 10:30 am)
- Java Technology in TV Day , Thursday, May 10 (complete list of TV-related sessions)
- NetBeans Day , Monday, May 7 (11:00 am - 7:00 pm)
- "Learning How Java ME Development Works Best for Mobile Devices" class at Java University
JavaOne Business Day , Tuesday, May 8
- Open source panel discussion with Simon Phipps, Vivek Mody (Java ME), and others
- Marketing, branding, and certification
- Partner programs
RIM BlackBerry Developer Program sponsored sessions & events
- "Developing Java ME Applications for BlackBerry", May 9th (12:05 - 12:25) and repeated