Posted by rogerk
on January 4, 2007 at 10:12 AM PST
Last month, another FCS release of Seam (1.1.0.GA) was released.
This release incorporates a number of great capabilities such as a RoR-like application generator called Seam-Gen. I am happy to announce that this release of Seam runs on GlassFish with minimal setup.
To get prior releases of Seam running on GlassFish, you had to patch some Seam application modules. With this release, there is no patchwork necessary - the folks at JBoss (RedHat) have done a great job of streamlining the process. In fact, after you download and unpack the Seam 1.1.0.GA release from here ,
you will see a GlassFish sample application (which is essentially the booking application) under the "jboss-seam-1.1.0.GA\examples\glassfish" directory. In this entry, we will outline the steps to get this release of Seam running on GlassFish with Java Persistence.
- A working build environment with ant ,
at least JDK 5 ,
and GlassFish . I've run this version of Seam successfully on the GlassFish v1 FCS (v1_ur1-p01-b02) and GlassFish v2 (Build 30) builds.
- Download and install the Seam 1.1.0GA release from here .
You should see a jboss-seam-1.1.0.GA directory.
- Go to the jboss-seam-1.1.0.GA/examples/glassfish directory.
- Build the sample application using the "toplink" build target:
The "toplink" target builds the EAR file using toplink as the JPA provider.
Deploy the application:
- Start up GlassFish: <glassfish
install dir>/bin/asadmin start-domain domain1
Start the database: <glassfish
- Deploy jboss-seam-1.1.0.GA/examples/glassfish/build/jboss-seam-glassfish.ear
- Note that deploying the application will create the necessary application database tables, and undeploying the application will remove the application database tables.
Load the database:
- Get the sql script that will be used to load the database from
here and unpack it to some directory. You should see the script: import.sql
- Go to the directory that contains the import.sql script.
- Set your CLASSPATH to include:
- <glassfish install dir>/javadb/lib/derbyclient.jar
- <glassfish install dir>/javadb/lib/derbytools.jar
- <glassfish install dir>/javadb/lib/derby.jar
- Get into the "ij" utility: java org.apache.derby.tools.ij
- At the "ij>" prompt:
- ij> DRIVER 'org.apache.derby.jdbc.ClientDriver';
- ij> CONNECT 'jdbc:derby://localhost:1527/sun-appserv-samples';
- ij> run 'import.sql';
- Now the Seam application tables should be loaded.
Run the application:
- visit localhost:8080/jboss-seam-glassfish