Posted by kohsuke
on November 17, 2006 at 11:36 AM PST
I just implemented one work around in the java.net maven1 repository, so that maven2 users can access the source jars hosted in the maven1 repository.
We have the java.net maven repository which hosts a bunch of interesting artifacts for our java.net projects. One of the things I liked about it is that many projects have source jars hosted (which improves the development experience because you can see the source from IDE.)
This morning, I noticed that my maven 2.0.4 isn't downloading source jars from there, whereas my Maven 1 works just fine. After a bit of research, I found out that apparently Maven 2 is broken with this regard. It simply looks for a wrong place in the source file.
While (hopefully!) this is being fixed on M2 side, I modified the java.net maven1 repository daemon so that it publishes the source jars in two places, so that both M1 clients and M2 clients can see the source jars.
What I don't like about this whole thing is that this is really a common theme with Maven — you get a lot of productivity boost, but then you'd also have to do a lot of troubleshooting, and your productivity comes right back to where you were before (or sometimes even worse, because of the added frustration.)
Anyway, if you've been using Maven 2 to access our java.net maven1 repository, you can now download the source jars.