Posted by evanx
on October 25, 2006 at 4:53 PM PDT
I'm so irritated with all these Top Ten bookmarks. If you can't squish 'em then join 'em.
I really am so IRRITATED by now with all these Top Ten bookmarks, Goddamn! But if you can't squish 'em like a bug then join 'em like a feature?! "Be the change you want to see in the world." I tried that, doesn't work! Heh heh
So I'll start with C++ and then move on to, um, er, whatsit? The other C... No, not Objective-C! The C shh... um... oh frell it, i can't remember!
OK, this is a easy one, i mean C/C++ vs Java, it's not even fair comparing a modern language over a legacy one. Actually compared to FORTRAN and BASIC i think C/C++ is FANTASTIC ;) Actually, to be honest, C is my first love, and if it wasn't for C, NOTHING would even exist, so...
We owe so much to so few - Dennis, Brian, Bjarne that certainly includes you, dude!
Notwithstanding that, here are my Top Ten Reasons Why to Choose Java over C/C++.
- Beauty. Let's face it, Java's the hottest babe in this room!
- Develop, don't debug! Actually this should be Number One.
- Don't port, deploy! Mmmmm... WebStart.
- Netbeans. And Eclipse. Yes, you can use them for C/C++, but don't go ruin my argument!
- Java Libraries. Sweeet. What would life be without Collections? A boring singleton.
- Swing. The sweeetest, GUI'est thing!
- Frameworks. What you want? You got it. Goto Apache, Spring, Google, or the guy sitting next to you in the bus.
- Enterprise-ready stacks? Take your pick!
- You always wanted to upgrade to 1Gb RAM - now you have to!
- java.net, jcp.org. The community's tight, man. Thank goodness they invested so many zillions, otherwise it would be like... Not this good!
So what's your number one reason?