Posted by nidaley
on March 22, 2006 at 11:36 AM PST
As a software quality engineer for a number of advanced technologies for distributed systems, I can't think of a better test bed for qualifying my distributed applications than a pre-installed, pre-networked, pay-as-you-go compute grid.
It's a great day! It was just announced
that the Sun Grid Compute Utility
is open to the public.
As a software quality engineer for a number of advanced technologies for distributed systems, I can't think of a better test bed for qualifying my distributed applications! Just think of all the mundane things I don't need to do anymore...
- I don't need to submit and wait for large purchase order approvals
- I don't need to order, receive, or track test equipment assets
- I don't need to install and patch operating systems on that test equipment
- I don't need to troubleshoot problems or service test equipment
- I don't need to manage power, a/c, or space requirements for test equipment
In a matter of a couple hours or less, I can have access to hundreds of CPUs. Obtaining resources for meaningful stress tests, performance tests -- even unit tests -- have never been so quick and easy!
Granted, it's not as simple as just uploading my application-under-test, my JUnit
test suites, and letting it rip...but stay tuned! Something might be coming to make it just that easy...