[ADVICE] DAS best practices in production environment ?
If possible, I would need your suggestions on the best pratices to setup glassfish DAS on our production platform.
The context is the following:
- Currently, we have more than 100 webapps hosted in clustered tomcat servers (at least 2 tomcat instances are used for lb) hosted on virtualized machines,
- We are studying the migration of application servers from tomcat to glassfish, we are thinking about the following architecture:
- Group webapps together in term of functionality criteria in the same domain.
- Each webapp will be deployed in a cluster composed of 2 glassfish instances hosted in 2 different nodes (and probably with several glassfish instances on the same node).
Due to the number of webapps hosted, this will lead to the creation of multiple domains, each of them hosting several cluster instances.
I have seen that a common best practice is to separate the DAS from hosts used as glassfish instances.
I agree with this, but I would need your advices to go in the right direction to setup glassfish domain(s) adminstration.
According tou you, which option should be the best ?:
- Use only one VM for the DAS that will host multiple domains (each domain will then hosts several clusters).
Using for that asadmin "create-domain" --portbase option for each domain instance should do the job.
In our production platform, this will probably lead to the creation of more that 20 different domains.
I have read that this configuration is rather uncommon.
Moreover, if this option is chosen, this will lead a lot of domain number and in addition of the feasability it will probably difficult for Adminstration tasks (eg. deployments) to known the relationship beetwen a particular domain and its adminstration port number.
- Use one dedicated machine for each adminstration domain => will multiple the number of VM that will host each DAS but its not really an issue.
- Use only one DAS hosted on one machine and create as many as cluster instances as needed => Everything is administrated by one domain, and I fear that it could be messy over time and that the DAS instance become overloaded.
According to you, which option should be the best or maybe is there a 4th option ?