Skip to main content

how to run squawk suite app from jdk 1.5

5 replies [Last post]
tcolakov
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-29
Points: 0

Hi there,

I'm wondering, if there is way, to run an suite application (the application build by squawk) through standard java class).

Something like:
...
public MyClass() {
someProxyClass.runSquawkApp(Suite,ClassPath,Class);
}
...

And that ProxyClass would instantiate the squawk jvm, loaded app.

Thanks
Todor

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
eric_arseneau
Offline
Joined: 2004-07-15
Points: 0

The squawk tools create a squawk.exe, so you should be able to do it via using the
java.lang.Runtime.exec

Try that?

Why do you need to do this?

tcolakov
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-29
Points: 0

Hi,

-i was hopping for something more elegant :/ I wanted to try embed squawk into jvm (without squawk.exe if possible).
-i wonder how he delegating mode works... does it really starts a separate jvm for io operations?
Thanks
Todor

eric_arseneau
Offline
Joined: 2004-07-15
Points: 0

At the moment the interpreter is not written in Java as intended. It is a separate exe so must be launched independently. You can also get access to the processes System.out and System.in.

You could run the application in JSE if you wanted to also, it requires some glue that we dont have, but it would be more elegant as it would run at the JSE speed.

Delegating mode is not something I am aware of, can you explain.

tcolakov
Offline
Joined: 2009-06-29
Points: 0

>At the moment the interpreter is not written in Java as intended.
And, just by your oppinion, this when will this happend? Is there a way to help you?

>It is a separate exe so must be launched independently. You can also get access to the processes System.out and System.in.
You mean in case I run it through exec? Or you meant other way?

>You could run the application in JSE if you wanted to also, it requires some glue that we dont have, but it would be more elegant as it would run at the JSE speed.
This glue, has it to be the replacement for squawk.exe? I mean - all the functions, which use the low lever operations (in C and asm) has to be mapped to JSE?

>Delegating mode is not something I am aware of, can you explain
I meant platform_type as selectable in build.properties

Todor

eric_arseneau
Offline
Joined: 2004-07-15
Points: 0

> >At the moment the interpreter is not written in Java
> as intended.
> And, just by your oppinion, this when will this
> happend?
Have been hoping to work on it for the past 24 months :(

> Is there a way to help you?
>
> >It is a separate exe so must be launched
> independently. You can also get access to the
> processes System.out and System.in.
> You mean in case I run it through exec? Or you meant
> other way?
If you run it as exe.

>
> >You could run the application in JSE if you wanted
> to also, it requires some glue that we dont have, but
> it would be more elegant as it would run at the JSE
> speed.
> This glue, has it to be the replacement for
> squawk.exe? I mean - all the functions, which use the
> low lever operations (in C and asm) has to be mapped
> to JSE?
No it would be to run the Squawk code as source/class files inside of Java.

> >Delegating mode is not something I am aware of, can
> you explain
> I meant platform_type as selectable in
> build.properties
> -i wonder how he delegating mode works... does it really starts a separate jvm for io operations?

Squawk trunk starts a new Java VM to handle IO and other operations. In the native branch, this is not the case anymore I believe. The netowrking and file access is done through native implementations.