Skip to main content

pMEA - PP / bluetooth problem; the requested protocol does not exist ?

3 replies [Last post]
Joined: 2009-03-11

Hi All,
I'm writing a WM5 CDC Personal Profile app using

Davy's WM5 phoneME advanced build: phoneME Advanced - Personal Profile b116 (zip) (cab)
and the BlueCove implementation of JSR 82 (bluecove-2.1.0.jar).

My app works fine on my PC when using a bluetooth dongle (don't use pMEA for this) and successfully connects to another bluetooth device to read wireless serial port data. When I put the application on a
DAP MicroFlex 2240x PDA however, it finds the bluetooth device, detects the required service (wireless serial services 0x1101) but fails to connect with the error

------------------------------------- Error Msg ------------------------------------- The requested protocol does not exist //008098E7A4F1:1;authenticate=false;encrypt=false;master=false
at Source)
at Source)
------------------------------------- End of Error Msg -------------------------------------

When the service is discovered, it successfully retrieves the connection URL:


but fails with the above error on the command

StreamConnection connection = (StreamConnection)

Would anyone have any ideas on this?
Many thanks, John.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Joined: 2009-03-11

Oh dear. Problem solved.
I had the bluecove-2.1.0.jar after -cp, but it should have been after -Xbootclasspath/a, i.e.
"-Xopt:stdioPrefix=\My Documents\MyApp" "-Xbootclasspath/a:\My Documents\MyApp\jdbc.jar;\My Documents\MyApp\bluecove-2.1.0.jar" -cp "\My Documents\MyApp\derby.jar;\My Documents\MyApp\MyApp.jar"
Happy days though, at least it works now. So bluecove works perfectly with pMEA, Personal Profile. I wasn't sure and thought it might be just for the Dual Stack.

Many thanks to everyone who gave this a look. I hope I didn't waste too much of your time, considering it was my mistake.

Joined: 2007-01-03

Hi John,

Normal libraries are not allowed to use the javax.* namespace and that is what
the bluecove.jar jar is doing. By adding it to the bootclasspath instead of to the
classpath, you can work around this problem.

While for an older version, I had some more info about the use of BlueCove on
this page:

Anyway, glad to hear you were able to fix your problem.


Joined: 2009-03-11

Hi Davy,

Thanks for the info - I didn't know why it worked, but now I do.

PS - those builds of yours are a godsend. Don't know what I would have done without them.