JXSE 2.6 Release Plan Proposal
Dear JXTA Community,
Many of you already know me because I have published the 'Practical JXTA' book last year and because I have answered many posts on the forum. Like most of you, I would like to see JXSE 2.6 come out whenever possible. Therefore, I have notified the board that I am interested in taking the leadership to organize this release by giving a couple of hours of my free time here and there.
The release plan I am proposing is the following:
MILESTONE I - REGISTRATION OF ENHANCEMENTS & IMPROVEMENT REQUESTS
Date: May 9nd, 2009
This milestone sets the deadline for members of the community to submit enhancement and improvement requests for release 2.6. After this date, any such new request will be targetted for after release 2.6. In the mean time, members of the community are also strongly invited to check the current issue list: https://jxta-jxse.dev.java.net/issues/query.cgi and to submit bugs and issues they have encountered and which have not been registered yet.
MILESTONE II - FIRST BETA RELEASE
Date: When fixes will have been posted for all open P1 and P2
The objective of this second milestone is to produce a first beta release of JXSE 2.6 for review by members of the community once fixes will have been posted in the trunk for all open P1 and P2. In the mean time, fixes for other issues can also be posted before milestone II is reached. The JXTA community will be given at least two months to review this release.
MILESTONE III - SECOND BETA RELEASE
Date: When fixes will have been posted for all open P1, P2 and P3 following the first beta release
The objective of this third milestone is to produce a second beta release of JXSE 2.6 for review by members of the community once fixes will have been posted in the trunk for all open P1, P2 & P3's. New issues from the first beta release may be discovered and submitted for resolution before the second beta release. The JXTA community will be given at least two months to review this release.
MILESTONE IV - FINAL 2.6 RELEASE
Date: When fixes will have been posted for all open P1, P2 and P3 following the second beta release
The objective of this fourth milestone is to produce the final JXSE 2.6 release. By then, all remaining issues which will not be resolved by release 2.6 will have been retargeted to a future release of JXTA.
- The proposed release is giving priority to quality over speed of delivery.
- The speed at which milestones will be reached and release 2.6 will become available depends on the contribution of everyone.
- Between Milestone I and III, new and existing issues will be prioritized and typed according to their nature by those participating to the release process.
- If, by Milestone III, some P3, P4 or P5 enhancements or feature issues remain unsolved, these will be retargeted for a future release of JXSE.
- All discussions about release 2.6 will happen on the dev mailing list.
- General announcements will be made on the announcement mailing list, the user mailing list and on the forum.
All types and level of contributions are welcome and needed. If you want to participe, send an email to the dev mailing list or to me describing how you want to contribute. Do not hesitate to ask questions if necessary.