Skip to main content

Eclipse/Glassfish problem "Missing classpath entry /modules/glassfish.jar"

6 replies [Last post]
emitchell
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-04

I'm running Ganymede:
Version: 3.4.1
Build id: M20080911-1700
on Fedora 9 and I was interested in trying out Glassfish.

In the Servers tab, I right-clicked, went to New->Servers and did the "Download additional server adapters" thing.

That installed Glassfish, but when I go to start an instance of Glassfish (doesn't matter if I try to start GlassFish v2 Java EE 5 or GlassFish v3 Prelude) I see the attached error.

Lastly, the dialog is asking for the Application Server Directory, but since Eclipse installed this, I have no idea where that directory might be, and searching has found absolutely nothing -- does anyone know where Eclipse would put it?

Thanks for any hints

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Ludovic Champenois

glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
> I'm running Ganymede:
> Version: 3.4.1
> Build id: M20080911-1700
> on Fedora 9 and I was interested in trying out Glassfish.
>
> In the Servers tab, I right-clicked, went to New->Servers and did the "Download additional server adapters" thing.
>
> That installed Glassfish,
No, that installed the Glassfish server plugin, not the server itself.
You also need to install separately GlassFish under a directory and
select this directory in step 1 of
https://glassfishplugins.dev.java.net/eclipse34/index.html#1
Hope this help,
Ludo

> but when I go to start an instance of Glassfish (doesn't matter if I try to start GlassFish v2 Java EE 5 or GlassFish v3 Prelude) I see the attached error.
>
> Lastly, the dialog is asking for the Application Server Directory, but since Eclipse installed this, I have no idea where that directory might be, and searching has found absolutely nothing -- does anyone know where Eclipse would put it?
>
> Thanks for any hints
> [Message sent by forum member 'emitchell' (emitchell)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=320129
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

emitchell
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-04

Thanks, Ludo

Looks like I'm not out of the woods yet.

I installed Glassfish following these steps:
# Download one of the bundles to disk, set JAVA_HOME to the JDK you have installed on your system.
# Run:

% java -Xmx256m -jar filename.jar

This command will unbundle GlassFish and create a new directory structure rooted under a directory named 'glassfish'.
#

% cd glassfish

# If you are using a machine with an operating system that is a derivative of UNIX(tm), set the execute permission for the Ant binaries that are included with the GlassFish bundle.

% chmod -R +x lib/ant/bin

% lib/ant/bin/ant -f setup.xml

from https://glassfish.dev.java.net/downloads/v2ur1-b09d.html.

They went without a hitch.

Now when I try to do the new -> server thing, I'm getting the attached error message. In my glassfish dir, there is no modules subdir.

Should I re-download and re-install?

Thanks for your help

emitchell
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-04

Update for Ludo:

Looks like different downloads and instructions on your page -- I'll uninstall and follow those instructions now -- thanks!

emitchell
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-04

Final update:

Ludo's page worked like a charm -- it's all my fault for going to the wrong page for my 411

Thanks much

Rochelle Raccah

The New Servers download additional adapters does not install glassfish,
it installs the glassfish plugin for eclipse. You still have to install
the glassfish server yourself and point to it in this wizard. We are
working on adding the capability to also download the server from within
this wizard, but it is not there yet.

Rochelle

glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
> I'm running Ganymede:
> Version: 3.4.1
> Build id: M20080911-1700
> on Fedora 9 and I was interested in trying out Glassfish.
>
> In the Servers tab, I right-clicked, went to New->Servers and did the "Download additional server adapters" thing.
>
> That installed Glassfish, but when I go to start an instance of Glassfish (doesn't matter if I try to start GlassFish v2 Java EE 5 or GlassFish v3 Prelude) I see the attached error.
>
> Lastly, the dialog is asking for the Application Server Directory, but since Eclipse installed this, I have no idea where that directory might be, and searching has found absolutely nothing -- does anyone know where Eclipse would put it?
>
> Thanks for any hints
> [Message sent by forum member 'emitchell' (emitchell)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=320129
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

emitchell
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-04

Thanks, Rochelle!