Skip to main content

Is JDIC browser project dead?

14 replies [Last post]
athlon1600
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-17

it looks like browser project is dying. Why? As I know, you are the only ones who have browser libraries for java so why give up?

Is there anything similar to JDIC available?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
athlon1600
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-17

but why is it dying? Why developers gave up?

oh and by the way, DJ native swing browser IS NOT cross-platform. it only works on Windows

zombi
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-26

Because no one want to contribute ...

Tony Anecito

Love to if we can just compile the project JDICPlus. No instructions and missing libraries make it impossible to contribute.

--- On Wed, 11/26/08, jdic@javadesktop.org wrote:

> From: jdic@javadesktop.org
> Subject: [JDIC] Re: Is JDIC browser project dead?
> To: jdic@jdic.dev.java.net
> Date: Wednesday, November 26, 2008, 2:02 PM
> Because no one want to contribute ...
> [Message sent by forum member 'zombi' (zombi)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=318894
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net

zombi
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-26

Unfortunately, as I see, JDICPlus is only buildable with windows, and I don't have a windows dev machine near to me to test it. (And the java code refers to some internal windows only JVM classes too), so the java build fails also.
Probably you can go further ... :)

tdanecito
Offline
Joined: 2005-10-10

I tried very hard to do that. In the end I had problems with the java.lib. They (Sun) did not supply it and when I build my own using the JDK 6 java.dll it did not work. What I discovered during the whole process is since they built JDICPlus on a MAC that is probably the only way to build it using the java for a MAC.

I heard Sun uses MACs alot for project development and JDICPlus seems to be no exception.

So it would be great if Sun provided a build with instructions that works. Only then can anyone support it outside of Sun.

In regards to the WebKit from what I have read about what Sun is doing it may never work properly for JavaFX. Replacing page controls with thier own and who knows what else may be violating copywrites. I still remember what Belgium did to Google for just taking pieces of the html. Even Google may invoke TOS on Sun if the format has been considered violated. Hate to see what will happen if someone replaces the html and the look and feel are not what source site likes.

I also wonder if Activex and Applets inside of html will be supported? Also flash?
By doing what JDIC has done those are possible an effort to reproduce all that capability in java without using JNI or JNA seems impossible to me.

Just my 2cents.

-Tony

zombi
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-26

I'm not sure that 'uta' is a sun employee, or not, but I'm sure, that he used 'Visual Studio' for development and building in a windows machine (from the VS project files), without a make file. It's a pretty sad thing anyway. I don't get what you referring as java.dll, can you explain ?
I don't think that modifying WebKit cause any copy right problem to anyone. It's a free software, and till it's stay free, you can do what you want. It's the same as JDIC.

tdanecito
Offline
Joined: 2005-10-10

Not sure how uta came into the picture but he was an Sun Research Engineer at the time. He did an interview for a group if you Google for uta you will see. He is or was a Professor at a University in Russa so not sure if he was only working on the project during the summer. He did a good job it just needs some updates like the one I suggested to get rid of JavaScript errors and make them silent like the 0.9x does.

As far as the MAC reference is concerned the source files are in MAC format. The first time you try to compile using Visual Studio it will ask to convert them to windows format. That combined with comments on the java.net forums about how the Sun developers like to use MAC for their development made me arrive at that conclusion.

As far as java.dll if you try to compile to compile the JDICPlus project it will not compile without the java.lib and jvm.lib which is mentioned in the notes in one of the header or CPP files. Those two files are created from the dlls only found in the jdk source download again mentioned in the .h or CPP files somewhere. Problem is the linker fails when using those dlls. Would have been great if there were detailed compile instructions.

I am guessing the lack of support from whoever the dev team that did the work got pulled off onto 6u10 then javaFX. With javaFX being released that this project will have no support from Sun or anyone else. I stopped working with JDIC because I beleieve it is a dead end for that reason. If Sun can produce a replacement for Windows and UNIX why continue even to give anyone the idea they will support JDIC?

I made not have made myself clear but the html we all view via a viewer (browser) is usually copywrited somewhere. If the new browser component does not display the html like the browser does and replaces controls and other html objects with java like components and it does not please the html owners at least in Europe there might be some interesting feedback. At least 0.9.x and JDICPlus paint the browser window. I am not concerned about the webkit at all it is how the html is rendered that matters to some.

Guess on Dec 2nd we will see what happens. I for one am eager to see the media issues resolved for java and the browser issue. I just hope Sun gets it right so we all can provide a better desktop experience for our users. I will stop using JDIC as quickly as I can change my code hopefully within a couple of days if JavaFX and maybe Swing are what Sun will only support.

Regards,
-Tony

zombi
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-26

I've just checked the commit logs, and see 'uta' the one, who commited the JDICPlus project. I don't know what operating system he is using, but I have never see or heard any success running Visual Studio in Mac or Linux with Wine. So I have doubt that it happened, and this is the cause of some of the Mac-like line ending.
Yes, the html's are copywrited, somehow, but it would be very strange, at least in Europe, to deny someone to view in some mobile browsers, text only browser, or in a java browser, just because it doesn't look like as in IE 6. That would be strange in the USA too, but I don't know the law in that detail :)
In fact, a project, without developers are dead end, but it's open source, anyone can work on it, and help it to advance, it's very sad that no one come in the recent years, who want to spend some hours to fix the modules, just a lot of crying 'developer'.

Tony Anecito

As I have said there are no instructions and libraries are missing.

If you try compiling yourself you would see what I mean.

--- On Sat, 11/29/08, jdic@javadesktop.org wrote:

> From: jdic@javadesktop.org
> Subject: Re: [JDIC] Re: Is JDIC browser project dead?
> To: jdic@jdic.dev.java.net
> Date: Saturday, November 29, 2008, 7:14 AM
> I've just checked the commit logs, and see 'uta'
> the one, who commited the JDICPlus project. I don't know
> what operating system he is using, but I have never see or
> heard any success running Visual Studio in Mac or Linux with
> Wine. So I have doubt that it happened, and this is the
> cause of some of the Mac-like line ending.
> Yes, the html's are copywrited, somehow, but it would
> be very strange, at least in Europe, to deny someone to view
> in some mobile browsers, text only browser, or in a java
> browser, just because it doesn't look like as in IE 6.
> That would be strange in the USA too, but I don't know
> the law in that detail :)
> In fact, a project, without developers are dead end, but
> it's open source, anyone can work on it, and help it to
> advance, it's very sad that no one come in the recent
> years, who want to spend some hours to fix the modules, just
> a lot of crying 'developer'.
> [Message sent by forum member 'zombi' (zombi)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=319172
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail:
> jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net

jcd
Offline
Joined: 2005-06-06

Yes, it seems the JDIC project is dying.

We are all desperately waiting for the new JWebPane component based upon WebKit and developed for JavaFX:

See:

http://weblogs.java.net/blog/ixmal/archive/2008/05/introducing_jwe.html
http://forums.sun.com/thread.jspa?threadID=5327759

Let's hope that Sun will realize the importance of JWebPane

All the best,
jcd

danyboy85
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-05

If i can help you, i think that the best Embeded Webbrowser is : http://djproject.sourceforge.net/main/index.html

Never bugs...

Dany the french

Alex Ng'ang'a

Hi, I have the same feeling too. Thats why I went searching and found
http://djproject.sourceforge.net/ns/. I think I have an easier time with it
than with JDIC.
rgds,
Alex.

On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:23 PM, wrote:

> it looks like browser project is dying. Why? As I know, you are the only
> ones who have browser libraries for java so why give up?
>
> Is there anything similar to JDIC available?
> [Message sent by forum member 'athlon1600' (athlon1600)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=318322
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net
>
>
[att1.html]

Tony Anecito

Actually DJ does really good work. Problem is the control he uses for the browser does not support cookies and I am not sure what else it does not support. It is not his html control (Eclipse project?) so he does not control enhancements but if you find out that is fixed it would be a good replacement.

Regards,
-Tony

--- On Sun, 11/23/08, Alex Ng'ang'a wrote:

> From: Alex Ng'ang'a
> Subject: Re: [JDIC] Is JDIC browser project dead?
> To: jdic@jdic.dev.java.net
> Date: Sunday, November 23, 2008, 11:27 PM
> Hi, I have the same feeling too. Thats why I went searching
> and found
> http://djproject.sourceforge.net/ns/. I think I have an
> easier time with it
> than with JDIC.
> rgds,
> Alex.
>
> On Sun, Nov 23, 2008 at 10:23 PM,
> wrote:
>
> > it looks like browser project is dying. Why? As I
> know, you are the only
> > ones who have browser libraries for java so why give
> up?
> >
> > Is there anything similar to JDIC available?
> > [Message sent by forum member 'athlon1600'
> (athlon1600)]
> >
> >
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=318322
> >
> >
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
> jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
> > For additional commands, e-mail:
> jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net
> >
> >

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net

athlon1600
Offline
Joined: 2008-11-17

I don't think it's cross platform though

when I right click on pages I get the usual internet explorer right click.

am I right? otherwise it looks good and i think cookies are supported