Skip to main content

[webtier] how to deploy 2 rails app AND web start servelet

2 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

GF developers,

Is there a way to use the GF V3 prelude gem to deploy 2 rails apps
AND a java web start servlet?

Or if I can't do this with the gem is there another way? Can the gem
be hacked to do this?

Can I embed GF in another application and serve the 2 rails apps AND
a java web start servlet when the application starts?

Thanks

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: webtier-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: webtier-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Vivek Pandey

Stephen Bannasch wrote:
> GF developers,
>
> Is there a way to use the GF V3 prelude gem to deploy 2 rails apps AND
> a java web start servlet?
>
No. You would use gem to run your rails application rather than deploy
it :-) and no servlet support thre, it is only to host ruby/rack based
application frameworks.

> Or if I can't do this with the gem is there another way? Can the gem
> be hacked to do this?
>
I am curious. From what you are trying to do, it looks like you should
be using GlassFish v3 Prelude server instead of glassfish gem. Any
reason you don't want to go this route?

As far as deploying multiple rails applications on a single running gem.
This feature/support is not there. Although, we currently bundle asadmin
command as part of gem. So maybe asadmin dpeloy will work but there is
no guarantee and no future compatibility as far as deploying multiple
applications are concerned.

> Can I embed GF in another application and serve the 2 rails apps AND a
> java web start servlet when the application starts?

Yes. You may want to use GlasssFish v3 Embedded API.

Here is a blog entry that uses most recent version of embedded API:

http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp/entry/bundling_glassfish_v3_prelude_xwiki1

-vivek.
>
> Thanks
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: webtier-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: webtier-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: webtier-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: webtier-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

Stephen Bannasch

>Stephen Bannasch wrote:
>>GF developers,
>>
>>Is there a way to use the GF V3 prelude gem to deploy 2 rails apps AND a java web start servlet?
>>
>No. You would use gem to run your rails application rather than deploy it :-) and no servlet support thre, it is only to host ruby/rack based application frameworks.
>
>>Or if I can't do this with the gem is there another way? Can the gem be hacked to do this?
>>
>I am curious. From what you are trying to do, it looks like you should be using GlassFish v3 Prelude server instead of glassfish gem. Any reason you don't want to go this route?

No, using the server is an option -- however I like to use Ruby as much as possible to manage the compilation and deployment so perhaps some parts of how the gem manages this will be informative.

>As far as deploying multiple rails applications on a single running gem. This feature/support is not there.

Is it planned for the future?

>Although, we currently bundle asadmin command as part of gem. So maybe asadmin dpeloy will work but there is no guarantee and no future compatibility as far as deploying multiple applications are concerned.

OK, thanks for the info.

>>Can I embed GF in another application and serve the 2 rails apps AND a java web start servlet when the application starts?
>
>Yes. You may want to use GlasssFish v3 Embedded API.
>
>Here is a blog entry that uses most recent version of embedded API:
>
>http://blogs.sun.com/alexismp/entry/bundling_glassfish_v3_prelude_xwiki1

Thanks, I'll take a look.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: webtier-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: webtier-help@glassfish.dev.java.net