[Bug] JXTA under Linux (multicast socket problem)
I am project maintainer of dSM (distributed Service Manager), an open-source research initiative for service mobility.
The current prototype is based on JXTA, initially developed on Windows (XP, Vista), everything worked correctly but when we decided to test it on Linux (Ubuntu 8), we encountered a problem: Linux-hosted peers could discover windows-hosted ones but couldn't been discovered.
After analyzing the network logs, we found that the only problem was that remote multicast discovery requests were not answered/received by the Linux peer. (Note that we work in full ad-hoc mode -- no rdv --, no NAT, no firewall, multicast enabled, only one network interface).
We debugged the prototype and the JXTA library and we found (according to various forums such as http://ubuntuforums.org/archive/index.php/t-516815.html) that the multicast socket is bound to "address and port" but should only be associated to a port. (class net.jxta.impl.endpoint.mcast.McastTransport.java, line 386). So we fixed it accordingly and now it works perfectly.
I don't know if it is a known bug or not a bug at all.. but I didn't know where to report it, so I though that using the forum would help people who may encounter the same issues. I could also fix the JXTA source if necessary but I think that JXTA developers would know better than anyone how to do it.
Vincent Verdot, (https://launchpad.net/dsm)