Skip to main content

phoneME regressions

8 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

Hi,

Over the past few days (maybe weeks), there have been several commits in the
subversion repository that broke my builds for phoneME Feature for Windows
Mobile, in the sense that midlets no longer work like they used to:

-Vertical scrollbar at the wrong place (not at the right edge of the display)
-TextArea input boxes that no longer work with certain applications (such
Opera Mini)
-Unsane default implementations of new methods causing runtime exceptions

One of the new methods for example was lfjport_get_display_capabilities().
This new method is used to check whether a device has the required
capabilities to run a midlet. For javacall and linux_fb platforms it has a
proper implementation returning 255 (supporting every feature), but several
other platforms have dummy implementations where the method returns 0
(supporting nothing).

int lfjport_get_display_capabilities(int hardwareId) {
(void)hardwareId;
// Not implemented
return 0;
}

Are changes (which are surely going to break some platform builds) documented
somewhere? I was told before that pMEF for the Windows Mobile platform is not
officially supported by Sun, so I know I am more or less on my own when
creating these builds. But there appears to be commercial implementations of
pMEF for the HP iPaq and the Java ME SDK 3.0 Early Access toolkit has
binaries for Windows Mobile too, so I guess Sun is relying on this code to
work too.

Are there better channels than this forum to report bugs? If you need more
information about some of the regressions, let me know.

Thanks,
Davy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Hinkmond Wong

Davy Preuveneers wrote:
> Hi,
>
> Over the past few days (maybe weeks), there have been several commits in the
> subversion repository that broke my builds for phoneME Feature for Windows
> Mobile, in the sense that midlets no longer work like they used to:
>

Hi Davy,

Do you have the commit #s and descriptions of some of the commits that
have broken the pMEF on WinMobile build for you?

Hinkmond

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Davy Preuveneers

On Tuesday 04 November 2008 02:58:02 Hinkmond Wong wrote:
> Davy Preuveneers wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Over the past few days (maybe weeks), there have been several commits in
> > the subversion repository that broke my builds for phoneME Feature for
> > Windows Mobile, in the sense that midlets no longer work like they used
> > to:
>
> Hi Davy,
>
> Do you have the commit #s and descriptions of some of the commits that
> have broken the pMEF on WinMobile build for you?
>
>
> Hinkmond

The display capabilities issue was due to svn commit revision 14625:
"6709508: Multiple Displays support - 1 phase. Reviewed by Kristina and Olga"

I changed midp/src/highlevelui/lfjport/wince/native/lfjport_wince_export.c
and modified the lfjport_get_display_capabilities(int hardwareId) to return
255 instead of 0.

I think the text box issue could also related to that commit. What happens
when you go to Google with Opera Mini, and tap on the search field with your
stylus, is that the input box does not pop up anymore. I haven't tested this,
but perhaps I need to change some of the new methods that disabled pointer
events and return true instead of false to fix this issue.

lfjport_is_display_pen_supported()
lfjport_is_display_pen_motion_supported()

I have not pinpointed the commit number that sometimes causes the vertical
scrollbar to be positioned at the wrong place. Maybe it is the same commit,
maybe it is a more recent commit.

Kind regards,
Davy

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Hinkmond Wong

Thanks, Davy!

I will check with Svetlana to see if she knows about this bug with her
commit (# 14625) to the phoneME midp component.

Svetlana, can you please take a look at the bug Davy is seeing below and
see if there is a fix to your commit that would be appropriate?

Thanks,
Hinkmond

Davy Preuveneers wrote:
> On Tuesday 04 November 2008 02:58:02 Hinkmond Wong wrote:
>
>> Hi Davy,
>>
>> Do you have the commit #s and descriptions of some of the commits that
>> have broken the pMEF on WinMobile build for you?
>>
>>
>> Hinkmond
>>
>
> The display capabilities issue was due to svn commit revision 14625:
> "6709508: Multiple Displays support - 1 phase. Reviewed by Kristina and Olga"
>
> I changed midp/src/highlevelui/lfjport/wince/native/lfjport_wince_export.c
> and modified the lfjport_get_display_capabilities(int hardwareId) to return
> 255 instead of 0.
>
> I think the text box issue could also related to that commit. What happens
> when you go to Google with Opera Mini, and tap on the search field with your
> stylus, is that the input box does not pop up anymore. I haven't tested this,
> but perhaps I need to change some of the new methods that disabled pointer
> events and return true instead of false to fix this issue.
>
> lfjport_is_display_pen_supported()
> lfjport_is_display_pen_motion_supported()
>
> I have not pinpointed the commit number that sometimes causes the vertical
> scrollbar to be positioned at the wrong place. Maybe it is the same commit,
> maybe it is a more recent commit.
>
> Kind regards,
> Davy
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Davy Preuveneers

Hi all,

If I change the default implementation of the following methods in
midp/src/highlevelui/lfjport/wince/native/lfjport_wince_export.c:

jboolean lfjport_is_display_pen_supported(int hardwareId) {
return KNI_TRUE;
}

jboolean lfjport_is_display_pen_motion_supported(int hardwareId) {
return KNI_TRUE;
}

int lfjport_get_display_capabilities(int hardwareId) {
return 255;
}

then Opera works again. I only now have the vertical scrollbar issue that
occurs on both linux and windows mobile builds of phoneME Feature:

https://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~davy/phoneme/snapshot.png

Best regards,
Davy Preuveneers

On Wednesday 05 November 2008 00:37:47 Hinkmond Wong wrote:
> Thanks, Davy!
>
> I will check with Svetlana to see if she knows about this bug with her
> commit (# 14625) to the phoneME midp component.
>
> Svetlana, can you please take a look at the bug Davy is seeing below and
> see if there is a fix to your commit that would be appropriate?
>
> Thanks,
> Hinkmond
>
> Davy Preuveneers wrote:
> > On Tuesday 04 November 2008 02:58:02 Hinkmond Wong wrote:
> >> Hi Davy,
> >>
> >> Do you have the commit #s and descriptions of some of the commits that
> >> have broken the pMEF on WinMobile build for you?
> >>
> >>
> >> Hinkmond
> >
> > The display capabilities issue was due to svn commit revision 14625:
> > "6709508: Multiple Displays support - 1 phase. Reviewed by Kristina and
> > Olga"
> >
> > I changed
> > midp/src/highlevelui/lfjport/wince/native/lfjport_wince_export.c and
> > modified the lfjport_get_display_capabilities(int hardwareId) to return
> > 255 instead of 0.
> >
> > I think the text box issue could also related to that commit. What
> > happens when you go to Google with Opera Mini, and tap on the search
> > field with your stylus, is that the input box does not pop up anymore. I
> > haven't tested this, but perhaps I need to change some of the new methods
> > that disabled pointer events and return true instead of false to fix this
> > issue.
> >
> > lfjport_is_display_pen_supported()
> > lfjport_is_display_pen_motion_supported()
> >
> > I have not pinpointed the commit number that sometimes causes the
> > vertical scrollbar to be positioned at the wrong place. Maybe it is the
> > same commit, maybe it is a more recent commit.
> >
> > Kind regards,
> > Davy
> >
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
> > For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

--
Davy Preuveneers
K.U.Leuven - http://www.kuleuven.be
Department of Computer Science - http://www.cs.kuleuven.be
DistriNet - http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~distrinet
Celestijnenlaan 200A, B-3001 Heverlee (Leuven), Belgium
Room: 02.152
Phone: (+32) (0)16 327853
E-Mail: Davy.Preuveneers@cs.kuleuven.be
Web: http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~davy
[signature.asc]

Davy Preuveneers

> then Opera works again. I only now have the vertical scrollbar issue that
> occurs on both linux and windows mobile builds of phoneME Feature:
>
> https://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~davy/phoneme/snapshot.png

I did a pMEF build of svn revisions 14624 and 14625, and I can now confirm
that the vertical scrollbar is also caused by the same commit 14625.

Kind regards,
Davy Preuveneers

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Hinkmond Wong

Davy Preuveneers wrote:
>> then Opera works again. I only now have the vertical scrollbar issue that
>> occurs on both linux and windows mobile builds of phoneME Feature:
>>
>> https://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~davy/phoneme/snapshot.png
>>
>
> I did a pMEF build of svn revisions 14624 and 14625, and I can now confirm
> that the vertical scrollbar is also caused by the same commit 14625.
>

Hi Svetlana,

Can you confirm that commit # 14625 may be causing the Windows Mobile
MIDP bug as seen in the screen shot above?

Thanks,
Hinkmond

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

aap031
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-18

Hi All,

Unfortunately Svetlana is not able to participate in development for some period of time. However this problem is known and being worked on

Regards,
Andrey

davyp
Offline
Joined: 2007-01-03

The vertical scrollbar issue is not unique to the Windows Mobile builds.
Here is a screenshot of the same issue on linux/qte:

http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~davy/phoneme/snapshot.png

Davy