Skip to main content

Any plan to migrate to Gcc 4.2

9 replies [Last post]
tusharj9
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-22
Points: 0

Hi,

Any plans to make phoneME compilable on gcc 4.2 ?

Regards,

Tushar

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
leonidr
Offline
Joined: 2006-10-27
Points: 0

When it comes to phoneME Feature, we usually make sure that its compatible with latest gcc at the end of development cycle (by latest, I mean the one used in current Linux distros)

tusharj9
Offline
Joined: 2005-09-22
Points: 0

Hi,

Thanks for response. Good to hear that that plans to support gcc 4.2 are in place.

@Yevgeny

I couldn't access this URL (http://crank.russia.sun.com/twiki/bin/view/JavaME/CheetahPhase2) .

Regards,
Tushar

Dalibor Topic

Gary wrote:
> What new features does gcc 4.2 provide?
Hi Gary,

the list of changes in the gcc 4.2.x release series is at
http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/changes.html

The current version of gcc is 4.3.x, though. Its changes are summarized
at http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html .

cheers,
dalibor topic

--
*******************************************************************
Dalibor Topic Tel: (+49 40) 23 646 738
Java F/OSS Ambassador AIM: robiladonaim
Sun Microsystems GmbH Mobile: (+49 177) 2664 192
Nagelsweg 55 http://openjdk.java.net
D-20097 Hamburg mailto:Dalibor.Topic@sun.com
Sitz der Gesellschaft: Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht München: HRB 161028
Geschäftsführer: Thomas Schröder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Bömer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Häring

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Gary Adams

My question was more rhetorical. e.g. which of the new features
was the motivation for moving up the tool chain.

Sometimes newer is just different, rather than better.

I do favor periodic updates for the core tool chain, I just
like to see it be done intentionally and with minimum
disruption to the community. I also expect feature and
advanced phoneme projects be kept in sync with standard
toolchain support for developers that work on both
stacks.

Dalibor Topic wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>> What new features does gcc 4.2 provide?
> Hi Gary,
>
> the list of changes in the gcc 4.2.x release series is at
> http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.2/changes.html
>
> The current version of gcc is 4.3.x, though. Its changes are summarized
> at http://gcc.gnu.org/gcc-4.3/changes.html .
>
> cheers,
> dalibor topic
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Hinkmond Wong

Gary Adams wrote:
> My question was more rhetorical. e.g. which of the new features
> was the motivation for moving up the tool chain.
>
> Sometimes newer is just different, rather than better.
>
> I do favor periodic updates for the core tool chain, I just
> like to see it be done intentionally and with minimum
> disruption to the community. I also expect feature and
> advanced phoneme projects be kept in sync with standard
> toolchain support for developers that work on both
> stacks.

Just as a point of informations: the phoneME Advanced stack has been
verified already to build using gcc 4.2:

https://phoneme.dev.java.net/content/pmAdv-buildtarget.html

Thanks,

Hinkmond

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

yevgenydiomidov
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-07
Points: 0

Hi,

There is an intention to support gcc 4.2. Now actual version is 3.4.

Regards,
Yevgeny

Gary

What new features does gcc 4.2 provide?

How big is the effort to upgrade to new versions of the compiler?

What is the impact to those already using older tool chains?

It may be good to remain backward compatible with older tool chain,
while fixing any problems old code has while using a newer compiler.

yevgenydiomidov wrote:
> Hi,
>
> There is an intention to support gcc 4.2. Now actual version is 3.4.
>
> Regards,
> Yevgeny
> [Message sent by forum member 'yevgenydiomidov' (yevgenydiomidov)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=302679
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Yevgeny Diomidov

Please look into Cheetah PCD
(http://crank.russia.sun.com/twiki/bin/view/JavaME/CheetahPhase2)

Req: Cheetah COM.30
Source: Internal
Customer problem: To support latest available SW
Priority: M
Product requirement:
Support of Latest Development Tools Supported toolchain should be
updated to support: 1, JDK 1.6 2. VC2005 3. GCC 4.2.x 4. NetBeans 6.1

But there is no strong commitment to meet the requirement.

May be author of the req or somebody from PTeam would comment.

Gary wrote:
> What new features does gcc 4.2 provide?
>
> How big is the effort to upgrade to new versions of the compiler?
>
> What is the impact to those already using older tool chains?
>
> It may be good to remain backward compatible with older tool chain,
> while fixing any problems old code has while using a newer compiler.
>
> yevgenydiomidov wrote:
>> Hi,
>>
>> There is an intention to support gcc 4.2. Now actual version is 3.4.
>>
>> Regards,
>> Yevgeny
>> [Message sent by forum member 'yevgenydiomidov' (yevgenydiomidov)]
>>
>> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=302679
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>>
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net

Roman Zubarevich

Вот только reply-all зря...

Yevgeny Diomidov wrote:

> Please look into Cheetah PCD
> (http://crank.russia.sun.com/twiki/bin/view/JavaME/CheetahPhase2)
>
> Req: Cheetah COM.30
> Source: Internal
> Customer problem: To support latest available SW
> Priority: M
> Product requirement:
> Support of Latest Development Tools Supported toolchain should be
> updated to support: 1, JDK 1.6 2. VC2005 3. GCC 4.2.x 4. NetBeans 6.1
>
> But there is no strong commitment to meet the requirement.
>
> May be author of the req or somebody from PTeam would comment.
>
> Gary wrote:
>
>> What new features does gcc 4.2 provide?
>>
>> How big is the effort to upgrade to new versions of the compiler?
>>
>> What is the impact to those already using older tool chains?
>>
>> It may be good to remain backward compatible with older tool chain,
>> while fixing any problems old code has while using a newer compiler.
>>
>> yevgenydiomidov wrote:
>>
>>> Hi,
>>>
>>> There is an intention to support gcc 4.2. Now actual version is 3.4.
>>>
>>> Regards,
>>> Yevgeny
>>> [Message sent by forum member 'yevgenydiomidov' (yevgenydiomidov)]
>>>
>>> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=302679
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>>>
>>>
>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: feature-unsubscribe@phoneme.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: feature-help@phoneme.dev.java.net