Skip to main content

Iden Navigation and Softkeys Keys

21 replies [Last post]
soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Hi

We are testing LWUITDemo on Motorola Iden I290 emulator (http://developer.motorola.com/docstools/sdks/i290/). The demo application works fine, but softkeys and navigarion keys don´t. The behavior is:

- Softkeys (left and right) don´t not work at all
- Down arrow sometimes does not work (on main manu) or behave like right soft key on some screens (ie transition screen)

This is a bug or this is somethig easy to workaround ?

By the way , congratulations LWUIT looks great

Best regards

Sergio

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Shai Almog

OK,
I understand the problem ;-)

-11 is mapped to the back key by mistake on this phone. Just set the
jad attribute SoftKey-Back=5000 which should solve that problem.

Some devices have a dedicated "back" key and in this device it
apparently collides with down. I will try to workaround this problem
so in the future it never happens.

Thanks,
Shai.

> Shai
>
> Using Display.getInstance.getKeyCode(Display.GAME_DOWN) return the
> right value for down key (-11) on Iden, but... on LWUITDemo on main
> menu, down key when pressed, do not "go down".
> If I select one option ie. Transitions, I cannot use down key to
> "go down", inside Transitions screen, if I press the down key, it
> acts like righ softkey (back!)... strange behaviour. It helps if I
> send you a screencast of my screen ?
>
> I also contacted a friend from NII to see if he helps with platform
> identification issue you told me.
>
> Best regads
>
> Sergio
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=285474
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Hi Shai

I was out of office yesterday.

I tested the SoftKey-Back = 5000 and it works nicely, no more navigation or softkey problems on iDEN I290, as soon as I have done more tests I will post it on "Compatible Devices" Wiki.

I asked the question about com.motorola.phonebook.PhoneBookRecord to my friend and expect to have the answer today. As soon as I have it I will post.

We are having lots of fun here with LWUIT, thanks !

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler

lgblrs
Offline
Joined: 2008-12-02
Points: 0

Hi , Im trying to install the software of my i290 but always appers a error-35 , and i dont understand nothing about the softkeys , please someone can help me?

Shai Almog

Hi Sergio,
this failure occurs because softkeys weren't detected as expected by
LWUIT. I'm trying to figure out how to detect them myself right now
so we can fix this for the next drop.

To work around this just do the following (if you know the keyCode
for the softkeys skip the MIDlet writing test):
create a MIDlet and in its main form do the following:

Form mainForm = new Form(...) {
public void keyReleased(int key) {
super.keyReleased(key);
Dialog.show("", "Key is: " + key, "OK", null);
}
};

Run the MIDlet and press the softbuttons which should give you two
numbers.

Edit the JAD file and place the two values you got in the JAD file
using these two properties: SoftKey-Right, SoftKey-Left

Make sure to use this jad file only for the iden devices since this
overrides the defaults!

Hopefully I can find out how to properly detect iDen.

Thanks,
Shai.

> Hi
>
> We are testing LWUITDemo on Motorola Iden I290 emulator (http://
> developer.motorola.com/docstools/sdks/i290/). The demo application
> works fine, but softkeys and navigarion keys don´t. The behavior is:
>
> - Softkeys (left and right) don´t not work at all
> - Down arrow sometimes does not work (on main manu) or behave like
> right soft key on some screens (ie transition screen)
>
> This is a bug or this is somethig easy to workaround ?
>
> By the way , congratulations LWUIT looks great
>
> Best regards
>
> Sergio
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=285194
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Hi Shai

Thanks for your fast reply.

I used the code you sent us and identified the keys on Motorola IDEN I290 as follows

Left SoftKey = -20
Right SoftKey = -21
Up Arrow = -10
Down Arrow = -11
Left Arrow = -13
Right Arrow = -11
Center (OK) key = -23

After I overrided left and right softkeys on JAD as instructed, now it works as expected ! But .. I still have issues with down arrow, is there any way to override it like softkeys ?

I tested only on I290, but I belive it is the same to all Iden Devices (have to test). I 290 is the first device I was able to make LWUITDemo work, I also tried on I265 (aka I830 in candybar format) but got Insuficient memory error.

Thanks again and stand by us to help you with IDEN devices tests, my personal e-mail is soehler at truesys dot com , just incase you need it.

Best Regars

Sergio Oehler

Shai Almog

Hi Sergio,
I send an email to a friend who works at an iDEN operator but got no
reply so far regarding my query.

The values are helpful to me as reference but we also need some
methodology to detect an iDEN device such as the value of
microedtion.platform or a class name that only exists on these
devices then we can install these values seamlessly.

> After I overrided left and right softkeys on JAD as instructed, now
> it works as expected ! But .. I still have issues with down arrow,
> is there any way to override it like softkeys ?

No, we just invoke getGameKey(keyCode) to check for the key code of
the down arrow for full portability. We hadn't had many issues with
this approach so it should generally work as expected, its hard for
me to tell without seeing the behavior or investigating it to some
degree.

Try checking the values for Display.getGameKey(keyCode) and see that
they return the correct values.

> I tested only on I290, but I belive it is the same to all Iden
> Devices (have to test). I 290 is the first device I was able to
> make LWUITDemo work, I also tried on I265 (aka I830 in candybar
> format) but got Insuficient memory error.
>
> Thanks again and stand by us to help you with IDEN devices tests,
> my personal e-mail is soehler at truesys dot com , just incase you
> need it.

Thank you,
Shai.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Shai

Using Display.getInstance.getKeyCode(Display.GAME_DOWN) return the right value for down key (-11) on Iden, but... on LWUITDemo on main menu, down key when pressed, do not "go down".
If I select one option ie. Transitions, I cannot use down key to "go down", inside Transitions screen, if I press the down key, it acts like righ softkey (back!)... strange behaviour. It helps if I send you a screencast of my screen ?

I also contacted a friend from NII to see if he helps with platform identification issue you told me.

Best regads

Sergio

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Shai

I got a reply from my friend at NII (Nextel International)

He told that probably the best one to use is com.mot.iden.util.Base64, it’s low weight, is on every iDEN java ME device, does not require any permissions, and is not likely to be deprecated.

Also, he sugested that you could use com.mot.iden.customercare.CustomerCare, but, but it is not a good choice because if does require permissions to execute.

The better choice for me is com.mot.iden.util.Base64

I hope it helps. You can test it aganst I290 SDK, see download link in one of my posts in this thread.

I hope it helps to improve LWUIT device support.

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler

Shai Almog

Thanks,
I just added it in the code. Can you ask him if an iden device would
support com.motorola.phonebook.PhoneBookRecord, which is how we
detect Motorolla?

Shai.
> Shai
>
> I got a reply from my friend at NII (Nextel International)
>
> He told that probably the best one to use is
> com.mot.iden.util.Base64, it’s low weight, is on every iDEN java ME
> device, does not require any permissions, and is not likely to be
> deprecated.
>
> Also, he sugested that you could use
> com.mot.iden.customercare.CustomerCare, but, but it is not a good
> choice because if does require permissions to execute.
>
> The better choice for me is com.mot.iden.util.Base64
>
> I hope it helps. You can test it aganst I290 SDK, see download link
> in one of my posts in this thread.
>
> I hope it helps to improve LWUIT device support.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sergio Oehler
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=285505
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Dear Shai

Got an answer for your question:

com.motorola.phonebook.PhoneBookRecord is not supported on iDEN devices, so you can use it safely to identify motorola devices, they will not mixup with iDEN devices.

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler

Shai Almog

Great thanks!

> Dear Shai
>
> Got an answer for your question:
>
> com.motorola.phonebook.PhoneBookRecord is not supported on iDEN
> devices, so you can use it safely to identify motorola devices,
> they will not mixup with iDEN devices.
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sergio Oehler
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=286083
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Shai

All iDEN fixes of this thread, delivered on todays code drop ?

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler

Shai Almog

Hi Sergio,
all iDEN related issues should now be resolved and you shouldn't need
the jad file tricks anymore.

Thanks,
Shai.

> Shai
>
> All iDEN fixes of this thread, delivered on todays code drop ?
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sergio Oehler
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=286469
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

Shai Almog
http://lwuit.blogspot.com/

[att1.html]

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Shai/Chen

I testing was done with LWUITDemo
I tested on I290 all softkeys work fine, also all navigation keys and fire button work on I290 emulator.

Today I got a I290 device for testing and found one PROBLEM, the FIRE(OK) key does not work on the device using LWUITDemo (I tested the key with other application to verify if the key was damaged but it worked properly).

I am using the same JAR (obfuscated) on the emulator and on the defice, but the device FIRE key does not work.

I also run the following code on the emulator and on the device:

Form mainForm = new Form(...) {
public void keyReleased(int key) {
super.keyReleased(key);
Dialog.show("", "Key is: " + key, "OK", null);
}
};

Both emulator and device returned the same key codes:

SoftKey-Right=-21
SoftKey-Left=-20
Up-Key=-10
Down-Key=-11
Left-Key=-13
Right-Key=-12
OK(FIRE)-Key=-23

What could be wrong ? Can you help ?

We have I290 and I335 devices for testing and as soon as we validate LWUIT is working properly, we will migrate a production application to LWUIT and also publish a compatibility repport on this devices to your device database.

Thanks verry much for your help

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler
True Systems

chen

Hi,
Are you able to navigate the demo by using the soft buttons?
When you press on a sub demo icon does the icon shrinks?

Chen

lwuit-users@mobileandembedded.org wrote:
> Shai/Chen
>
> I testing was done with LWUITDemo
> I tested on I290 all softkeys work fine, also all navigation keys and fire button work on I290 emulator.
>
> Today I got a I290 device for testing and found one PROBLEM, the FIRE(OK) key does not work on the device using LWUITDemo (I tested the key with other application to verify if the key was damaged but it worked properly).
>
> I am using the same JAR (obfuscated) on the emulator and on the defice, but the device FIRE key does not work.
>
> I also run the following code on the emulator and on the device:
>
> Form mainForm = new Form(...) {
> public void keyReleased(int key) {
> super.keyReleased(key);
> Dialog.show("", "Key is: " + key, "OK", null);
> }
> };
>
> Both emulator and device returned the same key codes:
>
> SoftKey-Right=-21
> SoftKey-Left=-20
> Up-Key=-10
> Down-Key=-11
> Left-Key=-13
> Right-Key=-12
> OK(FIRE)-Key=-23
>
> What could be wrong ? Can you help ?
>
> We have I290 and I335 devices for testing and as soon as we validate LWUIT is working properly, we will migrate a production application to LWUIT and also publish a compatibility repport on this devices to your device database.
>
> Thanks verry much for your help
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sergio Oehler
> True Systems
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=286856
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Chen

I am able to navigate the demo main menu using directional keys (up, down, left,right), but I am not able to activate any option using the OK (FIRE) key.

When I am on the main menu and press OK(FIRE) on any sub demo icon, the icon does not shink nor the sub demo is activated.

The only way to access a subdemo is using the right-softkey to activate the menu and then select run menu option.

Also when I am inside a subdemo (ie transitions) I am not able to activate any button using the OK (Fire) key. the only thing I can do is navigate among the itens on the screen using the mavigation keys and use righ-softkey (back) to go back to main menu.

Is there any workaround or soltution to this behaviour ? if you want I can film the device behaviour and send it to you.

Congratutatoins to you and Shai for the excelent support, this allow us to trust LWUIT, and adopt it early, as fast as possible in our prodution environment. Stand by us to help fine tune LWUIT to work on IDen and other platforms

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler
True Systems

Shai Almog

Hi Sergio,
I think we both understand that the problem is the fire isn't
"fired". I don't think we need a film ;-)

I'm not exactly clear on why this is failing though, can you try
overriding the clear/back keys again to distant values to see whether
its the same problem?

It might be that my fix to avoid these sort of problems has failed.

Thanks,
Shai.

> Chen
>
> I am able to navigate the demo main menu using directional keys
> (up, down, left,right), but I am not able to activate any option
> using the OK (FIRE) key.
>
> When I am on the main menu and press OK(FIRE) on any sub demo icon,
> the icon does not shink nor the sub demo is activated.
>
> The only way to access a subdemo is using the right-softkey to
> activate the menu and then select run menu option.
>
> Also when I am inside a subdemo (ie transitions) I am not able to
> activate any button using the OK (Fire) key. the only thing I can
> do is navigate among the itens on the screen using the mavigation
> keys and use righ-softkey (back) to go back to main menu.
>
> Is there any workaround or soltution to this behaviour ? if you
> want I can film the device behaviour and send it to you.
>
> Congratutatoins to you and Shai for the excelent support, this
> allow us to trust LWUIT, and adopt it early, as fast as possible in
> our prodution environment. Stand by us to help fine tune LWUIT to
> work on IDen and other platforms
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sergio Oehler
> True Systems
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=287070
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

Shai Almog
http://lwuit.blogspot.com/

[att1.html]

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Hi Shai

:-)

I overided clear/back keys with 5000 value and it it does not solve the problem , Fire/OK key does not activate!

Can you send me a piece of code that I can run on the device to help us sort out what is causing the problem ? I already run the code you sent me to identify the key-codes and the result is posted on this thead. I will have I290 and I335 devices with me until the end of next week.

Thanks for you both, for the help an attention

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler

>Hi Sergio,
>I think we both understand that the problem is the fire isn't
>"fired". I don't think we need a film
>
>I'm not exactly clear on why this is failing though, can you try
>overriding the clear/back keys again to distant values to see whether
>its the same problem?
>
>It might be that my fix to avoid these sort of problems has failed.
>
>Thanks,
>Shai.

Shai Almog

Hi Sergio,
I'm left again without much of an idea why this issue occurs...

If your code that handles keyEvents (where you print the keyCode)
please print the following:

System.out.println("GameKey: " + Display.getIntance().getGameAction
(keyCode));

For FIRE this MUST print out 8!

If this doesn't happen try this:
Using an instance of MIDP's Display class try printing out the same
code:

System.out.println("GameKey: " + midpDisplayInstance.getGameAction
(keyCode));

This should print the same result. If this is not the case, please
verify that the OK button is indeed mapped as "fire" in iDEN.

Assuming FIRE works for the first test case (prints out 8) then
please confirm that the same keyCode arrives to both keyPressed as
well (highly doubt this is the case).

Thanks,
Shai.

> Hi Shai
>
> :-)
>
> I overided clear/back keys with 5000 value and it it does not solve
> the problem , Fire/OK key does not activate!
>
> Can you send me a piece of code that I can run on the device to
> help us sort out what is causing the problem ? I already run the
> code you sent me to identify the key-codes and the result is posted
> on this thead. I will have I290 and I335 devices with me until the
> end of next week.
>
> Thanks for you both, for the help an attention
>
> Best Regards
>
> Sergio Oehler

Shai Almog
http://lwuit.blogspot.com/

[att1.html]

soehler
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-08
Points: 0

Shai

It took sometime to reply because I was ill, now I am back on LWUIT (business :-))
I was doing testing using I290 emulator, but since last week I got a I290 and I335 test devices from Nextel, in the emulator it works kind of different( as usual :-) ) than on the device. FIRE was working on the emulator and was not working on the device.
Thanks to my NII Friend Juan Felipe Rincon, I figured out how to workaround this device-emulator difference.

Just add to your JAD files the line:

iDEN-MIDP-KEY-GAME-FIRE: -23

By the way, it is documented on Iden Development Guide.

Now LWUIT navigation keys are working properly on the emulator and on the device.

Running on the device I am experiencing "out of memory" messages, sometimes and slow performance on screen changes, any idea to help ?

Devices have 1.5 to 1.7 M program memory , too small for LWUITDemo ? Will they be able to run less image intensive day by day lwuit applications ?

Best Regards

Sergio Oehler

Shai Almog

Hi Sergio,
> Just add to your JAD files the line:
>
> iDEN-MIDP-KEY-GAME-FIRE: -23
>
> By the way, it is documented on Iden Development Guide.

I don't understand why this is necessary but thanks for bringing it
to our attention!

> Now LWUIT navigation keys are working properly on the emulator and
> on the device.
>
> Running on the device I am experiencing "out of memory" messages,
> sometimes and slow performance on screen changes, any idea to help ?
>
> Devices have 1.5 to 1.7 M program memory , too small for
> LWUITDemo ? Will they be able to run less image intensive day by
> day lwuit applications ?

This might be too small generally LWUIT demo works reasonably on S40
devices with 2mb heap. This however is very dependent on resolution
and theme, assuming the resolution of the phone is 320x240x32bpp then
this would be too low for LWUIT demo but might be reasonable for
something simpler.
If the resolution is lower and bit depth is low (and appropriately
managed by mutable images) the memory might be sufficient.

Slow performance is often an issue of slow drawRGB performance in the
native platform. Try removing the background image from the theme and
transitions might not be practical either in these cases. 3d
transitions might work well though since they are mostly natively
implemented using JSR 184.

Regards,
Shai.

>
> Best Regards
>
> Sergio Oehler
> [Message sent by forum member 'soehler' (soehler)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=289468
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

Shai Almog
http://lwuit.blogspot.com/

[att1.html]