Skip to main content

[JAI-IMAGEIO] jpip

2 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

*bumped with a new subject header*

---------- Forwarded message ----------
From: Norman Barker
Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM
Subject: Re: [JAI-IMAGEIO] JAI@JavaOne 2008 slides posted
To: interest@jai-imageio.dev.java.net

Hi Brian,

as you know we (ITT VIS) have already written a jpip plugin behind
imageio using kakadu, and we also have a pure java version behind
imageio in development which will use the same interface.

ITT VIS / SSD (and before that we were part of kodak imaging) have a
long history with jpip and jpeg2000 and we would like to help - we
certainly don't believe in proprietary standards and without
publishing our changes to imageio we aren't being interoperable.

Do you have a wiki page anywhere where I can create you sequence
diagrams, and interface diagrams for imageio jpip plugin? We had to
make some enhancements to imageio (such as J2KReadParam), and I would
like to discuss more how to use IIOMetadata for the different
geospatial and medical domains (so gmljp2 and dicom).

I have cleared this with my boss so no problems with the design ip, as
I mentioned before our imageio plugin using kakadu has to be closed
source because of the kakadu licensing.

Our server product is a j2ee jpip server supporting ssl,
authentication, clustering, metadata insertion etc. and we would like
the java imageio client plugins to be architected in a way to make
best use of these features.

Many thanks, and apologies for the misunderstanding I wasn't
intentionally asking leading questions.

Norman

On Mon, Jun 23, 2008 at 5:58 PM, wrote:
>> Can you let us on the list know a bit more detail
>> about the jpip client such as;
>>
>> 1) who is writing it :-)
>
> U of Arizona as I am sure you know and myself.
>
>> 2) is it pure java, if not which library (kakadu,
>> openjpeg, jasper)
>
> USDA certfied pure Java with no additives or preservatives.
>
>> 3) is it for geospatial or medical
>
> It is application domain-agnostic.
>
>> I for one, subject to company approval, am interested
>> in helping with
>> this (certainly at the least I can test it against
>> our servers and a
>> wide variety of image data).
>
> Testing help would be appreciated when we get to that point.
>
> Thanks for the offer.
>
> Brian
>
>> I have already written
>> a kakadu imageio
>> plugin, but we can't release this because of the
>> kakadu license where
>> you can't release a library (which allows others to
>> develop) unless
>> they also have a kakadu license (at least that is my
>> interpretation).
>>
>> Full disclosure, I work for ITT VIS, see
>> http://iasdemo.ittvis.com .
>>
>> Norman
>>
>> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 6:09 PM, Brian Burkhalter
>> wrote:
>> > Note that I was not referring to anything
>> specifically and in particular not
>> > to Java, of course, but just making a general
>> observation. ;-)
>> >
>> > On May 15, 2008, at 5:09 PM, Ken Warner wrote:
>> >
>> >> "It seems that what used to be alpha is now called
>> beta and what used to
>> >> be beta is now FCS/GA."
>> >>
>> >> No crap!!!
>> >>
>> >> Brian Burkhalter wrote:
>> >>>
>> >>> On May 15, 2008, at 3:32 PM, Norman Barker wrote:
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Brian,
>> >>>>
>> >>>> slides look good, I see the mention of a jpip
>> client (again) :-)
>> >>>
>> >>> Yeah the effort (obviously) stalled for a while.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Can I ask how whether it will be possible to
>> evaluate this plugin
>> >>>> before the main release, I can certainly provide
>> you with some testing
>> >>>> effort. Is this plugin pure Java?!!
>> >>>
>> >>> The general intent was to get it out as soon as
>> it is in reasonable
>> >>> form, probably in an alpha release.
>> >>> These projects are probably the only ones any
>> more that even call things
>> >>> "alpha." It seems that what used to be alpha is
>> now called beta and what
>> >>> used to be beta is now FCS/GA.
>> >>> Brian
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Any information you can provide will be
>> appreciated.
>> >>>>
>> >>>> thanks,
>> >>>>
>> >>>> Norman Barker
>> >>>>
>> >>>> On Thu, May 15, 2008 at 3:56 PM, Brian
>> Burkhalter
>> >>>> wrote:
>> >>>>
>> >>>>> For those of you who were not there - and that
>> is nearly everyone -
>> >>>>> the
>> >>>>> JAI-specific slides presented at the Java 2D /
>> JAI BOF session on
>> >>>>> Tuesday
>> >>>>> May 6 are available here:
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> https://jai.dev.java.net/#Documentation
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Any comments are of course welcome.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>> ^..^< >^..^<
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> Brian Burkhalter
>> >>>>> Java Imaging and Video
>> >>>>> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>> This email message is for the sole use of the
>> intended recipient(s)
>> >>>>> and may contain confidential and privileged
>> information. Any
>> >>>>> unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>> distribution is prohibited.
>> >>>>> If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by
>> >>>>> reply email and destroy all copies of the
>> original message.
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> ---------------
>> >>>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >>>>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>>
>> >>>>
>> >>>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> ---------------
>> >>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >>>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> interest-help@jai- imageio.dev.java.net
>> >>>>
>> >>> >^..^< >^..^<
>> >>> Brian Burkhalter
>> >>> Java Imaging and Video
>> >>> Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>> >>> This email message is for the sole use of the
>> intended recipient(s)
>> >>> and may contain confidential and privileged
>> information. Any
>> >>> unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>> distribution is prohibited.
>> >>> If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by
>> >>> reply email and destroy all copies of the
>> original message.
>> >>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> ---------------
>> >>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >>
>> >>
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> ---------------
>> >> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >>
>> >
>> >>^..^< >^..^<
>> >
>> > Brian Burkhalter
>> > Java Imaging and Video
>> > Sun Microsystems, Inc.
>> >
>> > This email message is for the sole use of the
>> intended recipient(s)
>> > and may contain confidential and privileged
>> information. Any
>> > unauthorized review, use, disclosure or
>> distribution is prohibited.
>> > If you are not the intended recipient, please
>> contact the sender by
>> > reply email and destroy all copies of the original
>> message.
>> >
>> >
>> >
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> ---------------
>> > To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> > For additional commands, e-mail:
>> interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> >
>> >
>>
>> ------------------------------------------------------
>> ---------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail:
>> interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail:
>> interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
> [Message sent by forum member 'bpb' (bpb)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=282105
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Norman Barker

Brian,

I have started a wiki page here for this discussion (see below)

http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javadesktop/JPiP

however I can't put up attachments (such as class and sequence
diagrams) can you edit my wiki permissions?

I also invite others to join this discussion.

thanks,

Norman

On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Norman Barker wrote:
> *bumped with a new subject header*
>
> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
> From: Norman Barker
> Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM
> Subject: Re: [JAI-IMAGEIO] JAI@JavaOne 2008 slides posted
> To: interest@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>
>
> Hi Brian,
>
> as you know we (ITT VIS) have already written a jpip plugin behind
> imageio using kakadu, and we also have a pure java version behind
> imageio in development which will use the same interface.
>
> ITT VIS / SSD (and before that we were part of kodak imaging) have a
> long history with jpip and jpeg2000 and we would like to help - we
> certainly don't believe in proprietary standards and without
> publishing our changes to imageio we aren't being interoperable.
>
> Do you have a wiki page anywhere where I can create you sequence
> diagrams, and interface diagrams for imageio jpip plugin? We had to
> make some enhancements to imageio (such as J2KReadParam), and I would
> like to discuss more how to use IIOMetadata for the different
> geospatial and medical domains (so gmljp2 and dicom).
>
> I have cleared this with my boss so no problems with the design ip, as
> I mentioned before our imageio plugin using kakadu has to be closed
> source because of the kakadu licensing.
>
> Our server product is a j2ee jpip server supporting ssl,
> authentication, clustering, metadata insertion etc. and we would like
> the java imageio client plugins to be architected in a way to make
> best use of these features.
>
> Many thanks, and apologies for the misunderstanding I wasn't
> intentionally asking leading questions.
>
> Norman
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net

Norman Barker

* bumped again *

can I have wiki access please, I would like to add this documentation
for the community.

thanks,

Norman

On Fri, Jun 27, 2008 at 2:49 PM, Norman Barker wrote:
> Brian,
>
> I have started a wiki page here for this discussion (see below)
>
> http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Javadesktop/JPiP
>
> however I can't put up attachments (such as class and sequence
> diagrams) can you edit my wiki permissions?
>
> I also invite others to join this discussion.
>
> thanks,
>
> Norman
>
> On Thu, Jun 26, 2008 at 8:14 AM, Norman Barker wrote:
>> *bumped with a new subject header*
>>
>> ---------- Forwarded message ----------
>> From: Norman Barker
>> Date: Wed, Jun 25, 2008 at 4:57 PM
>> Subject: Re: [JAI-IMAGEIO] JAI@JavaOne 2008 slides posted
>> To: interest@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
>>
>>
>> Hi Brian,
>>
>> as you know we (ITT VIS) have already written a jpip plugin behind
>> imageio using kakadu, and we also have a pure java version behind
>> imageio in development which will use the same interface.
>>
>> ITT VIS / SSD (and before that we were part of kodak imaging) have a
>> long history with jpip and jpeg2000 and we would like to help - we
>> certainly don't believe in proprietary standards and without
>> publishing our changes to imageio we aren't being interoperable.
>>
>> Do you have a wiki page anywhere where I can create you sequence
>> diagrams, and interface diagrams for imageio jpip plugin? We had to
>> make some enhancements to imageio (such as J2KReadParam), and I would
>> like to discuss more how to use IIOMetadata for the different
>> geospatial and medical domains (so gmljp2 and dicom).
>>
>> I have cleared this with my boss so no problems with the design ip, as
>> I mentioned before our imageio plugin using kakadu has to be closed
>> source because of the kakadu licensing.
>>
>> Our server product is a j2ee jpip server supporting ssl,
>> authentication, clustering, metadata insertion etc. and we would like
>> the java imageio client plugins to be architected in a way to make
>> best use of these features.
>>
>> Many thanks, and apologies for the misunderstanding I wasn't
>> intentionally asking leading questions.
>>
>> Norman
>>
>>
>>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@jai-imageio.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@jai-imageio.dev.java.net