Skip to main content

Deployed Demo

10 replies [Last post]
ebresie
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-06
Points: 0

Is the Demo (or any LWUIT app) deployed somewhere so that I can test it on my phone?

Eric

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
ebresie
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-06
Points: 0

Tried the .jad and got nothing but a blank screen. I think Treo must not like .jad file.

The .jar file continued to exhibit the same characteristics I mentioned previously.

Are there any specific types of permissions that may be necessary to run this?

Are there any VM parameters (-Xmx???, etc) that might be needed?

I tried -XstdoutOnScreen and -debug, but the output displays for a second and is then overwritten by the "Exception" screen overwritting it.

Do you have any good tips on how to trigger and capture a stack dump on this? I have been unable to repeat the stack dump that showed previously.

Eric

Shai Almog

The device was a pain to work with and we didn't get anywhere there.
We tried the Palm simulator and I spent allot of time on it without
any real progress...

We have a log class as part of LWUIT which allows catching exceptions
and either logging them to the FS (using JSR 75 if available) or to
RMS. This logger can display logged information in a dialog and we
use it to debug on actual devices and see the output. I want to
create an instrumented version of the LWUITDemo which will print to
the logger but right now we don't really have time to do this with
all the running around.

Shai.

> Tried the .jad and got nothing but a blank screen. I think Treo
> must not like .jad file.
>
> The .jar file continued to exhibit the same characteristics I
> mentioned previously.
>
> Are there any specific types of permissions that may be necessary
> to run this?
>
> Are there any VM parameters (-Xmx???, etc) that might be needed?
>
> I tried -XstdoutOnScreen and -debug, but the output displays for a
> second and is then overwritten by the "Exception" screen
> overwritting it.
>
> Do you have any good tips on how to trigger and capture a stack
> dump on this? I have been unable to repeat the stack dump that
> showed previously.
>
> Eric
> [Message sent by forum member 'ebresie' (ebresie)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=277579
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

ebresie
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-06
Points: 0

Found it at the files on java.net (both jar and jad).

ebresie
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-06
Points: 0

FYI, using IBMs J9 on a Palm Treo 680, I am unable to run the demo.

Are there any specific memory requirements to run this?

Jonathan Knudsen

Yeah, we had trouble finding an appropriate place to put those files.

The problem is that the JAD has a relative to the JAR, but java.net
put them in different directories.

We have the files in another location, which might work for you:

https://lwuit.dev.java.net/nonav/demo/LWUITDemo.jad

Unfortunately the server certificate has expired so you might get some
warning messages about that. However, it works for me on my Nokia 6300
if I click through the warnings.

Also, Shai took the resource files out of the demo (they're downloaded
later) and got the size down to 123kB. He's got that JAD and JAR
online somewhere. Read all about it here:

http://lwuit.blogspot.com/2008/05/lwuitdemo-in-only-123kb-jar.html

Regards,
Jonathan

On May 29, 2008, at 5:47 PM, lwuit-users@mobileandembedded.org wrote:
> FYI, using IBMs J9 on a Palm Treo 680, I am unable to run the demo.
>
> Are there any specific memory requirements to run this?
> [Message sent by forum member 'ebresie' (ebresie)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=277386
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

ebresie
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-06
Points: 0

Well...using the jar on Shai''s site, I was able to get a little bit further. I loaded and launched it, it asked to use data connection, started download resources with a status bar, then an Exception occurred. It gave me an Ok to close and then it never seem to do anything.

I got an stack dump but since it's obuscated all I saw were cryptic names. Although I did see some mention of lcdui (I believe).

I tried launching the jad and all I got was a blank screen. And ever since I have been unable to do anything.

Do you have to set any VM parameters?

I suppose it could be related to the implementation of the J9 VM.

Any other ideas?

Eric

Shai Almog

Hi Eric,
what device are you running this on?

This could be related to my changes for dynamic downloading. I'll try
to host an unobfuscated version with all the resources on my server
and let you know.

Thanks,
Shai.

> Well...using the jar on Shai''s site, I was able to get a little
> bit further. I loaded and launched it, it asked to use data
> connection, started download resources with a status bar, then an
> Exception occurred. It gave me an Ok to close and then it never
> seem to do anything.
>
> I got an stack dump but since it's obuscated all I saw were cryptic
> names. Although I did see some mention of lcdui (I believe).
>
> I tried launching the jad and all I got was a blank screen. And
> ever since I have been unable to do anything.
>
> Do you have to set any VM parameters?
>
> I suppose it could be related to the implementation of the J9 VM.
>
> Any other ideas?
>
> Eric
> [Message sent by forum member 'ebresie' (ebresie)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=277427
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

Shai Almog

OK this should be up here:
http://vprise.com/dms/unobfuscated/demo/demo.jad

Its the full unobfuscated version with all the resources so its a bit
big: 500kb.

I also removed the files mentioned previously in this thread (from
java.net) to prevent further confusion in the future.

Thanks,
Shai.

> Hi Eric,
> what device are you running this on?
>
> This could be related to my changes for dynamic downloading. I'll
> try to host an unobfuscated version with all the resources on my
> server and let you know.
>
> Thanks,
> Shai.
>
>
>> Well...using the jar on Shai''s site, I was able to get a little
>> bit further. I loaded and launched it, it asked to use data
>> connection, started download resources with a status bar, then an
>> Exception occurred. It gave me an Ok to close and then it never
>> seem to do anything.
>>
>> I got an stack dump but since it's obuscated all I saw were
>> cryptic names. Although I did see some mention of lcdui (I believe).
>>
>> I tried launching the jad and all I got was a blank screen. And
>> ever since I have been unable to do anything.
>>
>> Do you have to set any VM parameters?
>>
>> I suppose it could be related to the implementation of the J9 VM.
>>
>> Any other ideas?
>>
>> Eric
>> [Message sent by forum member 'ebresie' (ebresie)]
>>
>> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=277427
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net

ebresie
Offline
Joined: 2003-08-06
Points: 0

I am using the IBM Websphere Everyplace Micro Environment J9 with VM version 2.2.14 ARM on a Treo 680 (Palm / Garnet OS based). (See specs)

I installed it. It starts to run. It asks to use air time. It puts up a status bar. One small green block appears on the bar. It indicates "Download". Finally it displays an "Exception" message in a small window in the center with "Ok" button on the lower left. After pressing Ok, it returns to the "Download" window, which still indicates "Downloading Resources" and "Storing: resources" with the bar still only a small block green.

It is this type of thing that is making me try to start a port for Garnet OS of the phoneME.

Any other ideas? I appreciate your help in trying to get this working for me.

Shai Almog

Hi,
we had issues with the Treo but mostly using the PALM version of that
VM. LWUIT worked on the Treo in the past and stopped for some reason
we aren't exactly clear on why it stopped working I spent a day
debugging it but got nowhere.

Phone ME Feature & Advanced (CDC and CLDC) run on WinMo devices and
LWUIT works really well on those VM's. We also saw LWUIT running on
modern HTC devices although there might have been some rendering
glitches we didn't check.

If you can produce stack traces for failures we can try to track it
down in our code.

Thanks,
Shai.

> I am using the IBM Websphere
> Everyplace Micro Environment
J9 with VM version 2.2.14 ARM on a
> Treo 680 (Palm / Garnet OS based). (See specs)
>

> I installed it. It starts to run. It asks to use air time. It
> puts up a status bar. One small green block appears on the bar.
> It indicates "Download". Finally it displays an "Exception"
> message in a small window in the center with "Ok" button on the
> lower left. After pressing Ok, it returns to the "Download"
> window, which still indicates "Downloading Resources" and "Storing:
> resources" with the bar still only a small block green.
>

> It is this type of thing that is making me try to start a port for
> Garnet OS of the phoneME.
>

> Any other ideas? I appreciate your help in trying to get this
> working for me.
> [Message sent by forum member 'ebresie' (ebresie)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=277516
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@lwuit.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@lwuit.dev.java.net