Skip to main content

Run Midlet On Windows Mobile

8 replies [Last post]
marcosv
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-22
Points: 0

Hi All,

We developed a CLDC/MIDP midlet which we would like to deploy to Windows Mobile 5 and 6.

Is there any reference documents or "getting started guide" that explains how to configure a WM device to run a midlet using PhoneME Feature.

Thanks in advance.

Jim

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
vicky007
Offline
Joined: 2010-10-15
Points: 0

[url=http://www.mobilephonereviews.ws]Mobile Phone Coverage[/url]

A very smart and diplomatic answer. It’s really appreciable and
general.

symbean
Offline
Joined: 2008-07-02
Points: 0

Hi Davy!
I discovered your site and tested the PhoneME Feature on my imate-SPL.But it couldn't work.Can you port a version for windows mobile smartphone?
Thanks!

Message was edited by: symbean

Message was edited by: symbean

vitty85
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-20
Points: 0

see on http://wcejavaproject.blogattivo.com maybe you'll find what you need...

marcosv
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-22
Points: 0

OK,

I discovered this site: http://www.cs.kuleuven.be/~davy/phoneme/index.htm

I used the builds on it to run some basic MIDP apps on a Windows Mobile emulator. Still not able to run my own app just yet.

I would be nice iif the content of the above site was available here on the main project site...

If I learn more about these configurations, I will post a document to act as a quick start quide since there doesn't seem to be one yet.

Regards,

Jim

davyp
Offline
Joined: 2007-01-03
Points: 0

Hi Jim,

It see you found my site. I put these binaries on my own site to avoid confusion with binaries provided by Sun. From time to time I clean up the
patches and have them reviewed to be committed in svn trunk. I have not seen anyone else making binaries available on the main project website, but
if someone knows of a better place to host them, let me know.

Anyway, I have been able to compile phoneME Feature for Windows Mobile, but only after some serious patching and some manual intervention
in the build process (the compilation fails when calling the resource compiler or the arm assembler). I could not get the javacall porting layer to
work, and had to patch the pcsl file and networking interfaces. Networking is still not working properly though. You could try to run your midlets on the
dual stack (phoneME Advanced with MIDP). This VM works much better for me.

Can you be a bit more specific about what is not working for your midlet?

Regards,
Davy

marcosv
Offline
Joined: 2007-05-22
Points: 0

Hi Davy,

Thanks very much for making these binaries for Windows Mobile. Personally, I think they should be hosted here on the project site so everyone can be aware of them and to utilize and test them.

I resolved the issue I noted in the about reply. It turns out that a '/' was needed in front of all resources such as icon images.

I'm now able to run the midlet using your PhoneME binaries but a few other issues still remain.

1. The string displayed in the WM toolbar when the midlet is executed reads "Sun JWC Window" instead of the title to the midlet. Is there a way to change this?

2. The 'OK' button in the upper right of the WM toolbar does not respond and thus it is not possible to exit the midlet.

3. The VM always puts a default blue toolbar at the top and bottom of the screen. Is there a parameter that can be used to supress this?

I'm using your latest build (11498).

Thanks again for providing the binaries and I'd be happy to help out with testing if you like.

Best Regards,

Jim

davyp
Offline
Joined: 2007-01-03
Points: 0

Hi Jim,

> Hi Davy,
>
> Thanks very much for making these binaries for
> Windows Mobile. Personally, I think they should be
> hosted here on the project site so everyone can be
> aware of them and to utilize and test them.

Thanks for testing. The asynchronous networking issues I mentioned earlier should be
resolved with the build you are using. Opera Mini does not fail on me anymore (that often)
when browsing.

> I resolved the issue I noted in the about reply. It
> turns out that a '/' was needed in front of all
> resources such as icon images.

Indeed, this is an annoyance on the Windows Mobile OS. If you start a program, it's
current directory is always the root directory, so any relative path will be interpreted differently.
Therefore, it is best to always specify the full path.

> I'm now able to run the midlet using your PhoneME
> binaries but a few other issues still remain.
>
> 1. The string displayed in the WM toolbar when the
> midlet is executed reads "Sun JWC Window" instead of
> the title to the midlet. Is there a way to change
> this?

That title is currently hardcoded and set when the main window is created, but it should be
possible to change it (with SetWindowText). I will need to find out how I can pass along the
midlet title to the native window managing code though.

> 2. The 'OK' button in the upper right of the WM
> toolbar does not respond and thus it is not possible
> to exit the midlet.

Correct, the OK button currently does not close the midlet. So you are kind of stuck when
you did not include your own exit handler in the midlet. This should be easy to change.

> 3. The VM always puts a default blue toolbar at the
> top and bottom of the screen. Is there a parameter
> that can be used to supress this?

Are you talking about the blue bars of Windows Mobile, or the blue bars of the skin VM?
If you are talking about the Windows Mobile bars: yes, I can hide those as well, but this may
cause unexpected problems if your midlet is doing something weird. I actually keep the top bar
(with the start menu) and bottom bar (with the virtual keyboard) visible, because my device
does not have a keyboard.

If you are talking about the blue bars of the midlet skin, then I assume it is possible to change
them, because the Opera Mini midlet does not show them either (but overrides the complete
skin).

> I'm using your latest build (11498).
>
> Thanks again for providing the binaries and I'd be
> happy to help out with testing if you like.

Thanks, much appreciated

> Best Regards,
>
> Jim

Wait for a new build to appear on my website or a message on this forum for an update
on any of the above issues.

Regards,
Davy