Skip to main content

[V3] Needs JDK?

9 replies [Last post]
uppalapati
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-05
Points: 0

I attempted to run my application on GFV3 with a vanilla install of OpenSolaris 2008.05 which only comes installed with a JRE 1.6.x
There were a bunch of errors which got resolved when I installed and started GFV3 using java from JDK.

Where does the dependency on the JDK come from? Removing that dependency and making it work with a JRE will make V3 similar to Tomcat. Any plans for fixing it in V3 TP3?

_raju

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
uppalapati
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-05
Points: 0

Thanks everyone for the insight into the JDK dependency.

Usecase:
I am attempting to create a standalone zip file that includes all the dependencies for my application. Thus I bundle the Appserver and its dependencies. The JRE is ~ 15MB and the JDK is ~67MB

Solution:
If GFV3 is designed such that features that require the JDK fail gracefully with messages when only a JRE is available, it will solve the above usecase.

Tomcat 5.5 onwards will work with a JRE or a JDK.
I feel getting the most commonly used features (JSP Compilation etc) to work with just the JRE will give feature parity with Tomcat. Having this feature will contribute towards greater adption to GFV3 IMHO.

thanks,
_raju

Raju Uppalapati

Another data point:
A lot of users who tried our preview bits (based on GFV3) were no
developers. So they are not OS and J2EE savvy. They just had the JRE
on their box and the errors displayed in the server.log were not clear
enough to describe how to fix it.

So by requiring a JDK, you are making it a bit difficult to create a
positive impression on non-developer kind of user who is using GFV3.

_raju

On 5/15/08, glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
> Thanks everyone for the insight into the JDK dependency.
>
> Usecase:
> I am attempting to create a standalone zip file that includes all the
> dependencies for my application. Thus I bundle the Appserver and its
> dependencies. The JRE is ~ 15MB and the JDK is ~67MB
>
> Solution:
> If GFV3 is designed such that features that require the JDK fail gracefully
> with messages when only a JRE is available, it will solve the above usecase.
>
> Tomcat 5.5 onwards will work with a JRE or a JDK.
> I feel getting the most commonly used features (JSP Compilation etc) to work
> with just the JRE will give feature parity with Tomcat. Having this feature
> will contribute towards greater adption to GFV3 IMHO.
>
> thanks,
> _raju
> [Message sent by forum member 'uppalapati' (uppalapati)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=274610
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

km
Offline
Joined: 2005-10-28
Points: 0

Are you saying that with JRE 1.6, web.zip does not work?
My understanding is that it should work as expected. JDK is required only for installer based installation.

- Kedar

uppalapati
Offline
Joined: 2006-05-05
Points: 0

Yes.
On a fresh install of OpenSolaris 2008.05 (only comes with JRE 1.6)
Just download the following GFV3 bundle:
https://portal.dev.java.net/files/documents/5136/95849/glassfish-synergy...

The startup fails with bunch of errors. Installed the JDK and started the server again everything works perfectly.

_raju

Snjezana Sevo-Zenzerovic

In addition to JSP compiler dependency mentioned by Jerome, GlassFish
domain creation also requires keytool utility which is not there in JRE.

glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:

>I attempted to run my application on GFV3 with a vanilla install of OpenSolaris 2008.05 which only comes installed with a JRE 1.6.x
>There were a bunch of errors which got resolved when I installed and started GFV3 using java from JDK.
>
>Where does the dependency on the JDK come from? Removing that dependency and making it work with a JRE will make V3 similar to Tomcat. Any plans for fixing it in V3 TP3?
>
>_raju
>[Message sent by forum member 'uppalapati' (uppalapati)]
>
>http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=274421
>
>---------------------------------------------------------------------
>To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
>For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

Jerome Dochez

Hi Raju

The main reason why we need the JDK is for JSP compilation which uses
the JDK compiler. To be able to support running on the JRE we would
need to have a distribution with the JSP Container stripped out. If
there is enough interest, this is certainly something we could look
into.

Jerome

On May 14, 2008, at 4:47 PM, glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:

> I attempted to run my application on GFV3 with a vanilla install of
> OpenSolaris 2008.05 which only comes installed with a JRE 1.6.x
> There were a bunch of errors which got resolved when I installed and
> started GFV3 using java from JDK.
>
> Where does the dependency on the JDK come from? Removing that
> dependency and making it work with a JRE will make V3 similar to
> Tomcat. Any plans for fixing it in V3 TP3?
>
> _raju
> [Message sent by forum member 'uppalapati' (uppalapati)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=274421
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

Kedar Mhaswade

Isn't there a setting in default-web.xml that uses the Java 6 compiler
API to generate the classes? I agree that by default, it tries to use
javac executable. Like Snjezana mentions, we do need keytool executable
to create the domain, while one uses the "installer" distribution of TP-2.
The zip distribution does not need the keytool for the default domain.

- Kedar

Jerome Dochez wrote:
> Hi Raju
>
> The main reason why we need the JDK is for JSP compilation which uses
> the JDK compiler. To be able to support running on the JRE we would need
> to have a distribution with the JSP Container stripped out. If there is
> enough interest, this is certainly something we could look into.
>
> Jerome
>
> On May 14, 2008, at 4:47 PM, glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
>
>> I attempted to run my application on GFV3 with a vanilla install of
>> OpenSolaris 2008.05 which only comes installed with a JRE 1.6.x
>> There were a bunch of errors which got resolved when I installed and
>> started GFV3 using java from JDK.
>>
>> Where does the dependency on the JDK come from? Removing that
>> dependency and making it work with a JRE will make V3 similar to
>> Tomcat. Any plans for fixing it in V3 TP3?
>>
>> _raju
>> [Message sent by forum member 'uppalapati' (uppalapati)]
>>
>> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=274421
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

Jan.Luehe@Sun.COM

Kedar Mhaswade wrote:

> Isn't there a setting in default-web.xml that uses the Java 6 compiler
> API to generate the classes?

Actually, support for in-memory compilation of JSPs is auto-detected,
i.e., no need to specify anything in default-web.xml.

Jan

> I agree that by default, it tries to use
> javac executable. Like Snjezana mentions, we do need keytool executable
> to create the domain, while one uses the "installer" distribution of
> TP-2.
> The zip distribution does not need the keytool for the default domain.
>
> - Kedar
>
> Jerome Dochez wrote:
>
>> Hi Raju
>>
>> The main reason why we need the JDK is for JSP compilation which uses
>> the JDK compiler. To be able to support running on the JRE we would
>> need to have a distribution with the JSP Container stripped out. If
>> there is enough interest, this is certainly something we could look
>> into.
>>
>> Jerome
>>
>> On May 14, 2008, at 4:47 PM, glassfish@javadesktop.org wrote:
>>
>>> I attempted to run my application on GFV3 with a vanilla install of
>>> OpenSolaris 2008.05 which only comes installed with a JRE 1.6.x
>>> There were a bunch of errors which got resolved when I installed and
>>> started GFV3 using java from JDK.
>>>
>>> Where does the dependency on the JDK come from? Removing that
>>> dependency and making it work with a JRE will make V3 similar to
>>> Tomcat. Any plans for fixing it in V3 TP3?
>>>
>>> _raju
>>> [Message sent by forum member 'uppalapati' (uppalapati)]
>>>
>>> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=274421
>>>
>>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
>>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>>>
>>
>>
>> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
>> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
>> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: users-unsubscribe@glassfish.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: users-help@glassfish.dev.java.net

tjquinn
Offline
Joined: 2005-03-30
Points: 0

Also, the built-in Java Web Start support for launching app clients relies on tools.jar from the JDK to sign JAR files. Although this functionality is not yet in v3 it will be there relatively soon.

- Tim