Skip to main content

Res: Exception (OpenGL) when running effects JNLP

7 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

Are you sure your JNLP xml is loading the JOGL libs ?

----- Mensagem original ----
De: Patrick Wright
Para: dev@scenegraph.dev.java.net
Enviadas: S

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Patrick Wright

I was trying the demo from Chris' blog on the Effects project,
http://download.java.net/javadesktop/scenario/effects/demos/Intro-OGL.jnlp

which is supposed to be OGL-enabled. I didn't dig through all the
imported JNLP files, but it looks like the third or fourth one
(nested) Decora-Impl-0.5.jnlp, does specifically include JOGL stuff.

Patrick

On Feb 3, 2008 9:23 PM, Alessandro Borges wrote:
>
> Are you sure your JNLP xml is loading the JOGL libs ?
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net

Hans Muller

Dmitri Trembovetski suggested this:

... [the problem is] most likely because of the drivers. He can run any
swing application from the terminal with J2D_TRACE_LEVEL=4 env.
variable set (and with -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true) to see exactly why the
pipeline wasn't enabled.

- Hans

Patrick Wright wrote:
> I was trying the demo from Chris' blog on the Effects project,
> http://download.java.net/javadesktop/scenario/effects/demos/Intro-OGL.jnlp
>
> which is supposed to be OGL-enabled. I didn't dig through all the
> imported JNLP files, but it looks like the third or fourth one
> (nested) Decora-Impl-0.5.jnlp, does specifically include JOGL stuff.
>
> Patrick
>
> On Feb 3, 2008 9:23 PM, Alessandro Borges wrote:
>
>> Are you sure your JNLP xml is loading the JOGL libs ?
>>
>>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net
>
>
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net

Patrick Wright

Thanks for the pointer to the env var. The output is very long, am
attaching it here. The recurring message is "could not find an
appropriate fbconfig". If you would like me to report this somewhere
else, please let me know.

Thanks
Patrick

On Feb 4, 2008 9:59 PM, Hans Muller wrote:
>
> Dmitri Trembovetski suggested this:
>
> ... [the problem is] most likely because of the drivers. He can run any
> swing application from the terminal with J2D_TRACE_LEVEL=4 env.
> variable set (and with -Dsun.java2d.opengl=true) to see exactly why the
> pipeline wasn't enabled.
>
>
> - Hans
>
>
>
> Patrick Wright wrote:
> > I was trying the demo from Chris' blog on the Effects project,
> > http://download.java.net/javadesktop/scenario/effects/demos/Intro-OGL.jnlp
> >
> > which is supposed to be OGL-enabled. I didn't dig through all the
> > imported JNLP files, but it looks like the third or fourth one
> > (nested) Decora-Impl-0.5.jnlp, does specifically include JOGL stuff.
> >
> > Patrick
> >
> > On Feb 3, 2008 9:23 PM, Alessandro Borges wrote:
> >
> >> Are you sure your JNLP xml is loading the JOGL libs ?
> >>
> >>
> >
>
> > ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> > To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
> > For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net
> >
> >
> >
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net
>
>
[j2d_trace_level_4.txt]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net

campbell
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-24

Hi Patrick,

Could you also post the full output of "glxinfo". I'll need to compare that to the log you just posted to figure out what's going on. Did you use the latest binaries from ati.com to install, or did you use some other mechanism?

Thanks,
Chris

Patrick Wright

Hi Chris

glxinfo output is attached, thanks for looking into it.

I downloaded the latest binaries (I believe they are from Jan 18) and
followed the install instructions (basically running the installer as
sudo and accepting all defaults). Apart from glxgears, I briefly
tested Compiz and that seemed to work (am not using it because Firefox
interacts badly with it)--so have no reason to believe the install
failed, but you never know.

Thanks
Patrick

On Feb 5, 2008 6:22 PM, wrote:
> Hi Patrick,
>
> Could you also post the full output of "glxinfo". I'll need to compare that to the log you just posted to figure out what's going on. Did you use the latest binaries from ati.com to install, or did you use some other mechanism?
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
> [Message sent by forum member 'campbell' (campbell)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=257512
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net
>
>
[glxinfo.txt]
---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net

campbell
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-24

Hi Patrick,

Thanks for the quick reply. It's been a while since I've installed the latest ATI drivers on Linux, but I've seen this issue before. The problem is that the drivers are not using the right version of GLX (you'll see that it's reporting the use of GLX 1.2 on the server side; Java 2D requires GLX 1.3 or higher). This page might be of help:
http://wiki.cchtml.com/index.php/Ubuntu_Gutsy_Installation_Guide

Basically, if you get it to the point where it reports GLX 1.3 support (for both client and server), I'd expect things to work.

Thanks,
Chris

Patrick Wright

Hi Chris

Thanks for taking the time to look through the logs. I will try and
track down the GLX version issue, but there is one open posting
related directly to this problem on the Phoronix ATI/Linux driver
forums

http://www.phoronix.com/forums/showthread.php?t=7529&highlight=glx+1.3

He's can't run the OGL pipeline with this driver version, so it might
just be an open issue with the ATI drivers--at least ATI is making
some progress with them. May just have to wait.

Thanks for your help
Patrick

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net