New and Curious
My name is Aaron Grando, and I'm about to jump into this exciting new world of BD-J development. As far as background...I'm a fairly experienced HD-DVD author, but we all know how that's been going...learning BD-J is a way of future-proofing myself. I am a beginner to Java programming, but I do have some programming background, so *hopefully* I can pick up Java without too many bumps. :)
I've got a lot of questions, but if you'll bear with me for the most basic stuff I'd be so thankful.
- This is the only community that I could find regarding BD-J authoring of any kind. Is there a reason for this? Are there NDA's or any other (legal?) reasons why people don't discuss BD-J authoring? Are there other communities I didn't find?
- I *don't* have a copy of the spec. I don't have a copy of the HD-DVD spec, either, though, and I did just fine without it. Is it possible to work without it in BD-J's case?
- In terms of testing - what players/software can play recordable/rewritable media that also support BD-J? We currently have a BD-P1000 that can play rewritable media but it doesn't support BD-J content.
- Also, does this burned content need to be signed in some way to allow playback? Is this possible for an author like myself?
- I've got Sonic Scenarist Blu-Ray Authoring suite, including "Scenarist BD-J" which is essentially a hacked-up version of Eclipse. Is the the best development enviroment to use?
I'm looking forward to learning and seeing this community grow -- HD-DVD had a pretty solid community built by Microsoft. I hope with BD-J starting to show up in players more that authors can get a solid user-support system set up.