Skip to main content

Scenario.jar compression

2 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

Would someone please turn jar compression on in your build? Most
systems are fast enough that it doesn't impact start-up time
significantly, and a smaller jar can make applets and web-start apps
faster to load.

Tom

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
campbell
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-24
Points: 0

Hi Tom,

I've just checked in this change. Related to this, you might also be interested in the data that I sent out prior to the break in this forum posting:
http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=34612&tstart=0

Thanks,
Chris

> Would someone please turn jar compression on in your
> build? Most
> systems are fast enough that it doesn't impact
> start-up time
> significantly, and a smaller jar can make applets and
> web-start apps
> faster to load.

Tom Ball

Thanks, Chris. My suspicion is that we'll get even better compression
numbers for compile FX applets, because we need to generate a number of
interfaces to support MI and closures. Since an interface class file is
mostly a shareable constant pool, they should almost disappear with
pack200. I'll work on some numbers similar to yours to verify this.

Tom

scenario@javadesktop.org wrote:
> Hi Tom,
>
> I've just checked in this change. Related to this, you might also be interested in the data that I sent out prior to the break in this forum posting:
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?threadID=34612&tstart=0
>
> Thanks,
> Chris
>
>> Would someone please turn jar compression on in your
>> build? Most
>> systems are fast enough that it doesn't impact
>> start-up time
>> significantly, and a smaller jar can make applets and
>> web-start apps
>> faster to load.
> [Message sent by forum member 'campbell' (campbell)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=252048
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: dev-unsubscribe@scenegraph.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: dev-help@scenegraph.dev.java.net