Skip to main content

Remote participation of ME Developer Days

9 replies [Last post]
davjoh
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-18
Points: 0

Hi everyone,

If I remember rightly, in one of the Mobility podcasts a while ago there was some talk about possibly enabling remote participation for the ME Developer Days Conference. Were there any developments regarding enabling some sort of access for remote participants?

-David

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
brinkley
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-06
Points: 0

> Hi everyone,
>
> If I remember rightly, in one of the Mobility
> podcasts a while ago there was some talk about
> possibly enabling remote participation for the ME
> Developer Days Conference. Were there any
> developments regarding enabling some sort of access
> for remote participants?
>
> -David

Remote podcasting will be available on http://ustream.tv/sun. For mor information see http://wiki.java.net/bin/view/Mobileandembedded/DeveloperDays#BroadcastInfo and my blog at http://weblogs.java.net/blog/brinkley/archive/2008/01/m_e_developer_d.html Terrence's blog at http://weblogs.java.net/blog/terrencebarr/archive/2008/01/live_worldwide...

Both Terrence and I want to incourage local user groups to get together and watch the broadcast. Create your own local mini M&E Developer Days and tell us about it. We'd love to see a thousand viewers watching James Gosling's keynote and the rest of the M&E Developer Days sessions.

Binky

terrencebarr
Offline
Joined: 2004-03-04
Points: 0

David,

Yep, we will need testing help. I'll let you know when we're ready. Thanks!

-- Terrence

terrencebarr
Offline
Joined: 2004-03-04
Points: 0

Hi ustream,

Thanks for getting in touch with us. We'll definitely be working with you.

Regards,

-- Terrence

Terrence Barr - Evangelist, Java Mobile & Embedded

davjoh,

Somehow my first reply got dropped ...

Thanks for checking back. As Roger says we're still working on it. Currently,
the most likely approach will be video feeds out to www.ustream.tv. ustream
also has the capability of chat attached to the video channel so that would
allow remote participants to ask questions as well.

If you have any questions/comments/suggestions please let us know.

-- Terrence

meddinterest@mobileandembedded.org wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> If I remember rightly, in one of the Mobility podcasts a while ago there was some talk about possibly enabling remote participation for the ME Developer Days Conference. Were there any developments regarding enabling some sort of access for remote participants?
>
> -David
> [Message sent by forum member 'davjoh' (davjoh)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=249499
>
[terrence.barr.vcf]

davjoh
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-18
Points: 0

OK, thanks for the update guys.

Obviously I would love to attend the conference in person, but unfortunately my research group has used most of its travel budget so travelling over from the UK would be quite costly for me!

I've had a look at ustream.tv but I can't connect to any streams at all (both video and IRC doesn't seem to work just now) - most probably because I'm on a University campus and there are some silly firewall restrictions. So my only suggestion is, whatever you choose to use (be it ustream.tv or something else), please let the community know well in advance so remote participants can sort out any tech issues in good time.

I've participated in a remote presentation session before on Eclipse Live (live.eclipse.org) where Adobe provides their Adobe Acrobat Connect solution for screencasting (w/ live audio) and supporting a live IM as well. That was pretty good, but I think Adobe would have to be involved in supporting it for the conference if you were to use that.

Also live video streams from the conference would probably nicer than just screencasts from the presentations, but I guess it depends how the setup will be over there.

Cheers,
-David

Terrence Barr - Evangelist, Java Mobile & Embedded

David,

Sorry for the slow reply.

meddinterest@mobileandembedded.org wrote:
> OK, thanks for the update guys.
>
> Obviously I would love to attend the conference in person, but unfortunately my
> research group has used most of its travel budget so travelling over from the UK
> would be quite costly for me!
>
> I've had a look at ustream.tv but I can't connect to any streams at all (both
> video and IRC doesn't seem to work just now) - most probably because I'm on a
> University campus and there are some silly firewall restrictions. So my only
> suggestion is, whatever you choose to use (be it ustream.tv or something else),
> please let the community know well in advance so remote participants can sort out
> any tech issues in good time.

Understood. Yes, ustream requires two ports to be open (check the
ustream help pages for info). At this time, ustream looks like the
best open by far, we've tested it and it works as expected. I would
assume that most remote broadcasting systems have some kind of
port requirements beyond HTTP so really we're kind of stuck with that.

>
> I've participated in a remote presentation session before on Eclipse Live
> (live.eclipse.org) where Adobe provides their Adobe Acrobat Connect solution for
> screencasting (w/ live audio) and supporting a live IM as well. That was pretty
> good, but I think Adobe would have to be involved in supporting it for the
> conference if you were to use that.
>
> Also live video streams from the conference would probably nicer than just
> screencasts from the presentations, but I guess it depends how the setup will be
> over there.

Screencasts won't be particularly useful in our situation. Most of the
content will be available via PDFs online beforehand. The goal of the
broadcasting will be to give remote participants a way to follow the
speakers, get a feel for what's happening at the venue, and communicate
and ask questions via the chat.

We will put out more information on the remote participation shortly.
Would you be willing to participate in further testing?

-- Terrence

>
> Cheers, -David [Message sent by forum member 'davjoh' (davjoh)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=249703
>

--
Terrence Barr
Technical Evangelist, Java Mobile & Embedded Community
Phone: +49 711 720 98185
http://www.mobileandembedded.org
http://www.sun.com

Registered Office:
Sun Microsystems GmbH, Sonnenallee 1, D-85551 Kirchheim-Heimstetten
Amtsgericht Muenchen: HRB 161028
Geschaeftsfuehrer: Thomas Schroeder, Wolfgang Engels, Dr. Roland Boemer
Vorsitzender des Aufsichtsrates: Martin Haering

NOTICE: This email message is for the sole use of the intended recipient(s) and
may contain confidential and privileged information. Any unauthorized review, use,
disclosure or distribution is prohibited. If you are not the intended recipient,
please contact the sender by reply email and destroy all copies of the original
message.
[terrence.barr.vcf]

davjoh
Offline
Joined: 2007-07-18
Points: 0

Hi Terrence,

Sorry for the late reply - been away for the Xmas holidays.

>
> We will put out more information on the remote
> participation shortly.
> Would you be willing to participate in further
> testing?
>
> -- Terrence
>
>

If there's any way I can help out with testing the facilities for remote participation, I'd be happy to help.

-David

ustreamtech
Offline
Joined: 2008-01-10
Points: 0

Gentlemen, sorry for jumping in here, but I noticed your discussion on Ustream. Please feel free to contact us at Ustream.tv for any technical help or suggestions that you might have. Ustream is always pleased to welcome new members to the Ustream Community.
For technical help, promotional help, or other discussion, Please feel free to contact us directly, or email Support@ustream.tv or Ustreamtech@yahoo.com.

Roger Brinkley

We're still working on it. But of course the best place will be at the
conference.

Binky

meddinterest@mobileandembedded.org wrote:
> Hi everyone,
>
> If I remember rightly, in one of the Mobility podcasts a while ago there was some talk about possibly enabling remote participation for the ME Developer Days Conference. Were there any developments regarding enabling some sort of access for remote participants?
>
> -David
> [Message sent by forum member 'davjoh' (davjoh)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=249499
>