Skip to main content

Barcode scanner input in to textfield on PDA problem

1 reply [Last post]
trusz
Offline
Joined: 2007-08-08

I am writing an application for some PDA's running Windows Mobile 5.0 using NetBeans + CDC mobility pack and CrEMe's JVM.

I've created a test application which is just a jPanel with a jTextField.

I have a SDIO barcode scanner from a company called 'Socket' which inputs the number of a scanned bar code in to a selected field. It works fine with all the native apps on the PDA e.g. search box in contact manager, write SMS, but it does not work when I put the cursor in the jTextField in my app.

Does any one know why this would be and how can I fix it?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
terrencebarr
Offline
Joined: 2004-03-04

I know nothing about the Socket scanner but it sounds like they are providing some software that retrieves the barcode from the device and injects it into the native text input queue of the WIndows Mobile device. If that assumption is correct then any input field that uses the native input queue should work. It appears the jTextField of the CrEMe implementation does not use the native method or for some reason does not see characters already in the native queue.

You could check the phoneME Advanced code to see how things work there (which, of course, won't help you directly with your CrEMe issue).

-- Terrence