Skip to main content

Performance

14 replies [Last post]
paulby
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-13

The current world models include some very large textures, which is why the posters and app's look so good when you are close to them. On the downside this consumes a fair amount of memory, and is especially hard on the graphics card memory.

For the demo at JavaOne, ie the current world content, the focus is on a world that looks really nice. After the show I'm planning some work that will make the textures dynamic, showing low resolution versions when the user is far away and increasing the resolution as they get nearer. This should help significantly with performance especially when texture heavy areas such as the team room are in view.

Out of curiosity I'd like to hear from everyone else on what hardware you are using and your perception of the current performance.

I'm using 2 machines

Toshiba Terca M2, GeForce 5200 Go, 1.5GB ram (large ram for developer tools)
Runs fine with existing world, adding any more large textures however makes performance
drop significantly.

Desktop, 3.2Ghz, Nvidia 6800, 1GB ram
Runs fine.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
njtromp
Offline
Joined: 2004-12-03

I'm running wonderland on a HP NC8430 laptop with Centrino Duo core at 2.0GHz, 1 GB RAM and a ATI X1600 Radeon Mobility card with 256 MB RAM. My OS is Ubuntu 7.04 (upgraded from Ubuntu 6.10). The upgrade was a little troublesome. The video card was not detected correctly until I installed the restricted ATI FGLRX drivers. Not all the nice Feisty Fawn features like the new wireless network manager. Runs wonderland with a framerate of about 28-35 fps.

jslott
Offline
Joined: 2006-01-05

Seems like an old thread... but, I get terrible performance:

Sun Ultra 20 Medium model, 2+ GHz Opteron, 1 GB RAM, nVidia, JDK 1.60

I suspect it may be the memory, I run Wonderland on an unloaded machine. I am
running both server + client on the same machine.

It loads, but movement of the avatar is *very* slow.

Is there any hope for this situation? More memory? Wait for reduced resolution graphics?

Thanks, Jordan

Kirk Turner

> Sun Ultra 20 Medium model, 2+ GHz Opteron, 1 GB RAM, nVidia, JDK 1.60
Out of that list - normally the performance hit you're seeing would
be related to the graphics card (and driver) you are running. I run
client and server without issue on a 1GB Ram. I don't know Sun
hardware myself, but if you give us a little bit more info we may be
able to isolate the performance issue.

The info that would help:
What is the nVidia specs?
What version of the driver are you running?
What OS are you running?

Opteron is a 64 bit machine isn't it - are you running in 64 bit or 32 bit?

Kirk

jslott
Offline
Joined: 2006-01-05

My oh my, it appears I don't know much. Or at least I assumed too much. I discovered I needed to download the NVIDIA driver for my Quadra NVS card, and then run a patch from opensolaris.org so that the proper GLX driver is used. And here I thought Solaris 10 11/06 would just do the right thing, esp. since I'm on Sun hardware.

Wonderland performance is great now, ~18 FPS. Turns out my entire system is running much better with far more free memory available than before.

Many thanks!
Jordan

adamy
Offline
Joined: 2007-04-27

Paul,

We are trying to install the project using your instructions from the front page of lg3d-wonderland.dev.java.net and we are running into some trouble.

On OS X 10.4.9 on Intel Mac Book Pro we can build the core, but neither the client or SGS will build.

Running ant run-sgs in the lg3d-wonderland directory gives the following errors:
[javac] bad class file: /Users/adam/Desktop/SunWonderland/lg3d-wonderland/ext/voicelib/voicelib.jar(com/sun/mpk20/voicelib/app/ManagedCallStatusListener.class)
[javac] class file has wrong version 50.0, should be 49.0
[javac] Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct subdirectory of the classpath.
[javac] import com.sun.mpk20.voicelib.app.ManagedCallStatusListener;
[javac] ^
[javac] 1 error

Running ant run in the lg3d-wonderland directory gives 100 errors (mostly cannot find symbol) and 3 warnings.

We've also tried to build the server on x86 linux (Gentoo) with Java 1.6.

The client however errors with "Java Version mismatch !" see below:

[java] Apr 30, 2007 10:42:16 AM org.jdesktop.lg3d.displayserver.SevereRuntimeError
[java] SEVERE: Java Version mismatch !
[java] Project Looking Glass was compiled with Java version 1.5.0_07 but the current Java version is 1.6.0
[java] Please upgrade to version 1.5.0_07 or newer.
[java] org.jdesktop.lg3d.displayserver.SevereRuntimeError: Java Version mismatch !
[java] Project Looking Glass was compiled with Java version 1.5.0_07 but the current Java version is 1.6.0
[java] Please upgrade to version 1.5.0_07 or newer.
[java] at org.jdesktop.lg3d.displayserver.Main.main(Main.java:97)
[java] at org.jdesktop.lg3d.appkit.Lg3dConnector$2.run(Lg3dConnector.java:79)
[java] Exception in thread "Thread-3" org.jdesktop.lg3d.displayserver.SevereRuntimeError: Java Version mismatch !
[java] Project Looking Glass was compiled with Java version 1.5.0_07 but the current Java version is 1.6.0
[java] Please upgrade to version 1.5.0_07 or newer.
[java] at org.jdesktop.lg3d.displayserver.Main.main(Main.java:97)
[java] at org.jdesktop.lg3d.appkit.Lg3dConnector$2.run(Lg3dConnector.java:79)
user@host ~/Wonderland/lg3d-wonderland $ java -version
java version "1.6.0"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-b105)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b105, mixed mode)

So we built Java 1.5 onto that machine and we get the following error output using Gentoo with Java 1.5.0_11:
compile-server:
[javac] Compiling 66 source files to /home/user/Wonderland/lg3d-wonderland/build/current/debug/classes
[javac] /home/user/Wonderland/lg3d-wonderland/src/classes/org/jdesktop/lg3d/wonderland/darkstar/server/WonderlandSessionListener.java:40: cannot access com.sun.mpk20.voicelib.app.ManagedCallStatusListener
[javac] bad class file: /home/user/Wonderland/lg3d-wonderland/ext/voicelib/voicelib.jar(com/sun/mpk20/voicelib/app/ManagedCallStatusListener.class)
[javac] class file has wrong version 50.0, should be 49.0
[javac] Please remove or make sure it appears in the correct subdirectory of the classpath.
[javac] import com.sun.mpk20.voicelib.app.ManagedCallStatusListener;
[javac] ^
[javac] 1 error

BUILD FAILED
/home/user/Wonderland/lg3d-wonderland/build.xml:76: Compile failed; see the compiler error output for details.

Total time: 3 seconds
user@host ~/Wonderland/lg3d-wonderland $ java -version
java version "1.5.0_11"
Java(TM) 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition (build 1.5.0_11-b03)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.5.0_11-b03, mixed mode)

Any thoughts?
Thanks,
Adam

paulby
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-13

The first problem looks like a java version issue, you ran the server with JDK 1.5 but the voicelib.jar is 1.6.

For the second problem, did you compile lg3d-core (with jdk1.6) ? Try doing a clean and rebuild in both lg3d-core and lg3d-wonderland

adamy
Offline
Joined: 2007-04-27

> The first problem looks like a java version issue,
> you ran the server with JDK 1.5 but the voicelib.jar
> is 1.6.

On Linux everything was compiled with JDK 1.6
We only tried JDK 1.5.0_11 after the error message that told us:

[java] SEVERE: Java Version mismatch !
[java] Project Looking Glass was compiled with Java version 1.5.0_07 but the current Java version is 1.6.0
[java] Please upgrade to version 1.5.0_07 or newer.

>
> For the second problem, did you compile lg3d-core
> (with jdk1.6) ? Try doing a clean and rebuild in both
> lg3d-core and lg3d-wonderland

On OS X everything was compiled with:
$ java -version
java version "1.6.0-dp"
Java(TM) SE Runtime Environment (build 1.6.0-dp-b88-34)
Java HotSpot(TM) Client VM (build 1.6.0-b88-17-release, mixed mode, sharing)

paulby
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-13

Lets focus on linux first, as I'm not very familiar with Mac.....

try this

cd lg3d-core
ant clean
ant
cd ../lg3d-wonderland
ant clean
ant
ant run-sgs

ant run (in a separate shell)

I thinking there must be an old file in CVS in lg3d-core which is causing the version issue that Looking Glass reports.

adamy
Offline
Joined: 2007-04-27

Okay, that did it on Linux. We were missing the ant step in lg3d-wonderland (skipping right to ant run-sgs).

Nicole's post suggests she has it working under Mac OS X. Maybe she has some insight on getting the client running. Following the instructions below I get the 100 errors on the ant step in lg3d-wonderland.

Message was edited by: adamy

Jonathan Kaplan

I have tried to run Wonderland under Mac OS X, using the developer
preview of Java 6. While I did eventually get it to build, it
crashed on startup. I think we'll have to wait for a new version of
Java 6 from Apple before it works.

Both Nicole and I have had good luck running the demo on a Mac Book
Pro, using bootcamp and Ubuntu Feisty.

-Jon

On May 1, 2007, at 12:56 PM, wonderland@javadesktop.org wrote:

> Okay, that did it. We were missing the ant step in lg3d-wonderland
> (skipping right to ant run-sgs).
>
> Nicole's post suggests she has it working under Mac OS X. Maybe
> she has some insight on getting the client running. Following the
> instructions below I get the 100 errors on the ant step in lg3d-
> wonderland.
> [Message sent by forum member 'adamy' (adamy)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=215076

Jonathan Kaplan

Things run great on both the systems I've tried:

1. Sun w2100z
2x AMD Opteron 2GHz, 2GB Ram
NVidia FX 4000 (256MB)
Ubuntu 6.10

2. MacBook Pro
Intel Core 2 Duo 2.33Ghz, 2GB Ram
ATI Mobility Radeon x1600 (256MB)
Ubuntu 7.04

The only issue I have is that turning (via the keyboard) doesn't seem to
work quite right on the Mac.

-Jon

wonderland@javadesktop.org wrote:
> The current world models include some very large textures, which is why the posters and app's look so good when you are close to them. On the downside this consumes a fair amount of memory, and is especially hard on the graphics card memory.
>
> For the demo at JavaOne, ie the current world content, the focus is on a world that looks really nice. After the show I'm planning some work that will make the textures dynamic, showing low resolution versions when the user is far away and increasing the resolution as they get nearer. This should help significantly with performance especially when texture heavy areas such as the team room are in view.
>
> Out of curiosity I'd like to hear from everyone else on what hardware you are using and your perception of the current performance.
>
> I'm using 2 machines
>
> Toshiba Terca M2, GeForce 5200 Go, 1.5GB ram (large ram for developer tools)
> Runs fine with existing world, adding any more large textures however makes performance
> drop significantly.
>
> Desktop, 3.2Ghz, Nvidia 6800, 1GB ram
> Runs fine.
> [Message sent by forum member 'paulby' (paulby)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=211887
>

Nicole Yankelovich

On my brand new dual core MacBook Pro, there are some texture
rendering problems. Some textures appear striped from a distance.
They look fine once you get close up to them.

Nicole.

On Apr 11, 2007, at 11:05 AM, wonderland@javadesktop.org wrote:

> The current world models include some very large textures, which is
> why the posters and app's look so good when you are close to them.
> On the downside this consumes a fair amount of memory, and is
> especially hard on the graphics card memory.
>
> For the demo at JavaOne, ie the current world content, the focus is
> on a world that looks really nice. After the show I'm planning some
> work that will make the textures dynamic, showing low resolution
> versions when the user is far away and increasing the resolution as
> they get nearer. This should help significantly with performance
> especially when texture heavy areas such as the team room are in view.
>
> Out of curiosity I'd like to hear from everyone else on what
> hardware you are using and your perception of the current performance.
>
> I'm using 2 machines
>
> Toshiba Terca M2, GeForce 5200 Go, 1.5GB ram (large ram for
> developer tools)
> Runs fine with existing world, adding any more large textures
> however makes performance
> drop significantly.
>
> Desktop, 3.2Ghz, Nvidia 6800, 1GB ram
> Runs fine.
> [Message sent by forum member 'paulby' (paulby)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=211887

Shawn Kendall

That striping is typically due to mipmaping failure when the current
frame has gone over the texture memory limit of your current graphics card.

Nicole Yankelovich wrote:
> On my brand new dual core MacBook Pro, there are some texture
> rendering problems. Some textures appear striped from a distance. They
> look fine once you get close up to them.
>
> Nicole.
>
> On Apr 11, 2007, at 11:05 AM, wonderland@javadesktop.org wrote:
>
>> The current world models include some very large textures, which is
>> why the posters and app's look so good when you are close to them. On
>> the downside this consumes a fair amount of memory, and is especially
>> hard on the graphics card memory.
>>
>> For the demo at JavaOne, ie the current world content, the focus is
>> on a world that looks really nice. After the show I'm planning some
>> work that will make the textures dynamic, showing low resolution
>> versions when the user is far away and increasing the resolution as
>> they get nearer. This should help significantly with performance
>> especially when texture heavy areas such as the team room are in view.
>>
>> Out of curiosity I'd like to hear from everyone else on what hardware
>> you are using and your perception of the current performance.
>>
>> I'm using 2 machines
>>
>> Toshiba Terca M2, GeForce 5200 Go, 1.5GB ram (large ram for developer
>> tools)
>> Runs fine with existing world, adding any more large textures however
>> makes performance
>> drop significantly.
>>
>> Desktop, 3.2Ghz, Nvidia 6800, 1GB ram
>> Runs fine.
>> [Message sent by forum member 'paulby' (paulby)]
>>
>> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=211887
>
>

--
"...there is no doubt that high-fidelity collaborative 3D virtual
environments are useful and will be commonplace in the future. Figuring
out they will work is like trying to imagine the mechanics of a
Gutenberg printing press as a Dark Ages scribe ("We need an apparatus
that makes sweeping motions so as to reproduce the hand drawn
characters...").

Kirk Turner

I haven't had any performance issues to note - slow loading times, but
once loaded its been running without issue. I haven't added extra
textures so I can't comment there.

Specs:
toshiba satellite Core Duo 1 GB RAM
Nvidia GeForce Go 7300 256 MB 128 dedicated/128 shared

Kirk