Skip to main content

Graphics cards and Performance

6 replies [Last post]
mthornton
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-10

What level of graphics card is being targetted for Java2D acceleration improvements? E.g. if I buy a new Dell Optiplex, for many models the default graphics card is an ATI Radeon 1300 Pro 256MB. Will this miss out on some of the improvements in JRE6 or expected in JRE7?
My interest is two fold: (a) what my clients experience is likely to be, and (b) what I should get for my next development machine.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
benloud
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-09

There's a new Direct3D pipeline in the works???

Dmitri what's it going to take to get you start a blog? You cant let Chris and OGL steal all the publicity forever!

Chris Campbell

Yeah, Dmitri, what's taking you so long to get a blog? Your adoring
public (and I) are not-so-patiently waiting :)

Chris

On Feb 25, 2007, at 9:34 PM, java2d@javadesktop.org wrote:
> There's a new Direct3D pipeline in the works???
>
> Dmitri what's it going to take to get you start a blog? You cant
> let Chris and OGL steal all the publicity forever!
> [Message sent by forum member 'benloud' (benloud)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=205193
>
> ======================================================================
> =====
> To unsubscribe, send email to listserv@java.sun.com and include in
> the body
> of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST". For general help, send
> email to
> listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body of the message "help".

===========================================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body
of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST". For general help, send email to
listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body of the message "help".

Chris Campbell

Hi Mark,

The shader-based acceleration enhancements that we've been adding to
Java 2D's OpenGL pipeline work on all shader-level GPUs, including the
first-generation shader boards that came out about 5 years ago. Another
way to put it:
ATI: Radeon 9500 and above
Nvidia: GeForce FX 5xxx and above

Those boards are really old by today's standards, but still are capable
of making the aforementioned operations go much faster than in software.
Shader performance improves greatly with each successive generation of
GPU hardware. My blog will have more detailed performance data, but
it's safe to say that an ATI Radeon x1300 should do well for these
operations (although Nvidia drivers tend to be more reliable, but ATI is
starting to catch up).

Thanks,
Chris

java2d@javadesktop.org wrote:
> What level of graphics card is being targetted for Java2D acceleration improvements? E.g. if I buy a new Dell Optiplex, for many models the default graphics card is an ATI Radeon 1300 Pro 256MB. Will this miss out on some of the improvements in JRE6 or expected in JRE7?
> My interest is two fold: (a) what my clients experience is likely to be, and (b) what I should get for my next development machine.
> [Message sent by forum member 'mthornton' (mthornton)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=204942
>
> ===========================================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body
> of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST". For general help, send email to
> listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body of the message "help".

===========================================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body
of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST". For general help, send email to
listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body of the message "help".

mthornton
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-10

Thanks Chris. Is the situation similar for the DirectX pipeline on Windows (in terms of hardware required if not performance achieved)?

My about to be retired machine has what was the standard Dell offering when it was purchased 4 years ago, an ATI Rage 128, which provides precisely no acceleration at all (as far as I can see). What is worse is that it has proved impossible to upgrade (it uses the old 1.5V AGP) to anything more recent.

Dmitri Trembovetski

Hello,

java2d@javadesktop.org wrote:
> Thanks Chris. Is the situation similar for the DirectX pipeline on Windows (in terms of hardware required if not performance achieved)?
>

The current DirectX/Direct3D pipelines have fewer restrictions on the
hardware
(since they don't use advanced features like shaders), so you should
be fine.

The upcoming new Direct3D pipeline would require a DirectX 9- compatible
board. Most of the boards sold in the last few years should be fine.
Performance will vary, as some of the on-board chips (Intel, VIA)
are no speed demons when it comes to 3D acceleration..

> My about to be retired machine has what was the standard Dell offering when it was purchased 4 years ago, an ATI Rage 128, which provides precisely no acceleration at all (as far as I can see). What is worse is that it has proved impossible to upgrade (it uses the old 1.5V AGP) to anything more recent.
>

Do a favor for me: take out that Rage 128, take it outside and shoot.
Twice.
"Rage against the Rage"

Thanks,
Dmitri

> [Message sent by forum member 'mthornton' (mthornton)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=205025
>
> ===========================================================================
> To unsubscribe, send email to listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body
> of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST". For general help, send email to
> listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body of the message "help".
>

===========================================================================
To unsubscribe, send email to listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body
of the message "signoff JAVA2D-INTEREST". For general help, send email to
listserv@java.sun.com and include in the body of the message "help".

mthornton
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-10

Thanks Dmitri

> Do a favor for me: take out that Rage 128, take it
> outside and shoot.
> wice.

I'd like to, but only criminals have guns here! ;-)