Skip to main content

Cannot see any rendez-vous peers regardless of guide recommendations

4 replies [Last post]
adamman71
Offline
Joined: 2007-01-31
Points: 0

Hi,

I am new to JXTA and I am trying to run JXTA Shell properly (version 2.4.1). Unfortunately, I cannot see any rendez-vous peers.

The Quick Start guide (http://shell.jxta.org/quick.html) mentions a couple of IP addresses. I can see 64.61.25.141 jxta.limewire.com with PING, but I can't browse the URL.

My HTTP settings are enabled in the JXTA Configurator and I have set the above IP addresses as Rendezvous seed peers. I act as a relay and as a rendez-vous. My laptop is behind a modem/router/firewall.

When I run rdvstatus, I get:

JXTA>rdvstatus

Rendezvous Status:
__________________

Current configuration : RENDEZVOUS
"Test" A p t [41/20]

Peer View :
[None]

Rendezvous Client Connections :
[None]

JXTA>

When I use the peers -r command and wait several minutes, it does not make any difference.

Has anyone any idea about what is happening? Any help would be very welcome, because I can't find the answer to this issue by searching the web !!!

P.S.: I have found about the http://rdv.jxtahosts.net/cgi-bin/rendezvous.cgi?2 URL, but I can't reach the 209.128.126.120:9700 IP address too (with or without the port number).

Thanks !!!

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
adamman71
Offline
Joined: 2007-01-31
Points: 0

Thanks for these clear answers!

adamman71
Offline
Joined: 2007-01-31
Points: 0

Hi,

I have removed the rendezvous/relay option and I have set http://rdv.jxtahosts.net/cgi-bin/rendezvous.cgi?2 in the Rendezvous seeding URIs. The rdvstatus command gives the following:

JXTA>rdvstatus

Rendezvous Status:
__________________

Current configuration : EDGE
"Test" A p t [1886/196]

Peer View :
"jxta-38" A P t [126/88]

Rendezvous Connections :
jxta-38 C : 1110938 / 810938

Rendezvous Disconnections :
[None]

JXTA>

So it seems like I manage to connect to the jxta-38 Render-Vous peer, thanks for that.

However, I have a question left: a peer can become a rendez-vous for a peer group, does it mean that I may loose some capacity to reach rendez-vous peers after the switch from Edge to Rendez-vous (or even to Relay)? In other words, if I want to develop an application relying on JXTA, should I automatically set the configuration of my users to Edge? Will they automatically be able to reach any other users for their peer groups from behind any firewall and proxys? If not what is the solution?

I apologize if this is a basic question, but I could not find a definitive answer from the JXTA v2.3.x: Java Programmer’s Guide.

Thanks !!!

tra
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-16
Points: 0

> So it seems like I manage to connect to the jxta-38
> Render-Vous peer, thanks for that.
Correct.
>
> However, I have a question left: a peer can become a
> rendez-vous for a peer group, does it mean that I may
> loose some capacity to reach rendez-vous peers after
> the switch from Edge to Rendez-vous (or even to
> Relay)?
No. RDVs are scoped per peergroup. This means that
if you create a sub-peergroup this group can have
a new set of rendezvous that are indepent of the
NetPeergroup (root peergroup) RDVs. While your
peer connect to the sub-group RDVs, it will remain
connected to the NetPeerGroup RDVs. You can
explore this within the JXTA shell using the
chpgrp command to switch the peergroup context and
check the output of the "rdvstatus" command.

>In other words, if I want to develop an
> application relying on JXTA, should I automatically
> set the configuration of my users to Edge?
For the NetPeergroup you want to be an
edge, for the remaining sub-peergoups you should
let your peer (if you have good connectivity) dynamically
act as a RDV via the auto-RDV election
option.

Hth,

B.
>Will they
> automatically be able to reach any other users for
> their peer groups from behind any firewall and
> proxys? If not what is the solution?
>
> I apologize if this is a basic question, but I could
> not find a definitive answer from the JXTA v2.3.x:
> Java Programmer’s Guide.
>
> Thanks !!!

tra
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-16
Points: 0

> (http://shell.jxta.org/quick.html) mentions a couple
> of IP addresses. I can see 64.61.25.141
> jxta.limewire.com with PING, but I can't browse
> browse the URL.
This one is not supported anymore
>
> My HTTP settings are enabled in the JXTA Configurator
> and I have set the above IP addresses as Rendezvous
> seed peers. I act as a relay and as a rendez-vous. My
> laptop is behind a modem/router/firewall.
If you are behind a firewall you should not configure
your peer as a rendevous/relay. Just configure
your peer with "use relay" and "use rendezvous".
The default bootstrapping RDV/Relay list will be
loaded dynamically.

Hth,

B.
>
> When I run rdvstatus, I get:
>
> JXTA>rdvstatus
>
> Rendezvous Status:
> __________________
>
> Current configuration : RENDEZVOUS
> "Test" A p t [41/20]
>
> Peer View :
> [None]
>
> Rendezvous Client Connections :
> [None]
>
> JXTA>
>
> When I use the peers -r command and wait several
> minutes, it does not make any difference.
>
> Has anyone any idea about what is happening? Any help
> would be very welcome, because I can't find the
> answer to this issue by searching the web !!!
>
> P.S.: I have found about the
> http://rdv.jxtahosts.net/cgi-bin/rendezvous.cgi?2
> URL, but I can't reach the 209.128.126.120:9700 IP
> address too (with or without the port number).
>
> Thanks !!!