Mobicents & OSGi Technology
I wondered if anyone would see an interest in mobicents adopting OSGi technology.
OSGi has been choosed as a technology base for JOnAS 5 for the following reasons :
* OSGi enforce modularity with the Bundle concept
* OSGi provide standard mechanism for Classes isolation and versionning
* OSGi help us for remote artifacts deployment
* OSGi is lightweight
* OSGi handle dependencies issues (services inter-linking)
* OSGi have large industry support
Besides theses items, OSGi can still be used for component-like (bundles) introspection, giving building blocks for Autonomic Computing (System cartography, ...).
I guess those kinds of features like dependencies issues between services, standard way of deploying and modularity can greatly benefit to an app server.
This would allow one to switch from jboss micro kernel to any OSGi implementation (wonder if it could have performance impacts, whether bad or good ???) and could benefit from services or component writtent by the community...
I wanted to know if anyone could give any thoughts on this ? Would this be a good idea ? Is Jboss App server plans to support the OSGi R4 specs... ? Will there be other benefits to it ? Is there some con's ?