Skip to main content

Beta feedback

6 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

Ok, downloaded Linux megabundle, installed under /usr/share,
successfully ran lg3d-dev (to much applause - I last got lg3d working
in early 05 - much coolness has gone on since then :-) ).

However, I cannot run postinstall, lg3d-app or lg3d-app-full. The
postinstall app returns

You must run this script with root permissions.
Operation failed. LG will not be added as a gdm session.
./../usr/share/lg3d/bin/postinstall: line 40: cd:
./../usr/share/lg3d/bin/../lib/linux-x86_64/lg3d-x11/programs/Xserver:
No such file or directory
chown: cannot access `Xorg': No such file or directory
chgrp: cannot access `Xorg': No such file or directory
chmod: cannot access `Xorg': No such file or directory

The script was run as root, but note the use of "linux-x86_64" in the
directory path - where is this variable coming from?

lg3d-app and lg3d-app-full both return

Starting up Project Looking Glass...

ERROR:
Cannot find Xserver executable: .
Either the environment variable LGX11HOME is not set properly
or lg3d-core was not built properly with X11 support.
For instructions on how to build lg3d-core with X11 support
refer to the Project Looking Glass Developers Guide.

Is this error connected with wrong path and how do I fix it? Judging
by running the -dev version, if I can get the full version to work I
would seriously consider swapping to it as my main GUI!

Cheers

Chris

--

http://thehumanjourney.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
deronj
Offline
Joined: 2003-09-02

What distro of linux are you using? Is your /usr/share partition mounted from the network? That would explain why postinstall fails even when you run it as root.

It looks like the architecture of your machine is x86_64 (at least, this is what /bin/arch is returning). Unfortunately, lg is not supported on this configuration. We haven't even been able to properly run lg3d-dev on this configuration because of JDK issues.

Chris Puttick

In order:

SuSE 10.1
/usr/share is part of the root filesystem from the local device
(single partition reiserfs)
I thought running the megabundle would eliminate the 64 bit issues as
it ships with its own JDK?
lg3d-dev seems fine, although any local installed apps called appeared
in the host Window manager.

Chris

On 24/10/06, lg3d@javadesktop.org wrote:
> What distro of linux are you using? Is your /usr/share partition mounted from the network? That would explain why postinstall fails even when you run it as root.
>
> It looks like the architecture of your machine is x86_64 (at least, this is what /bin/arch is returning). Unfortunately, lg is not supported on this configuration. We haven't even been able to properly run lg3d-dev on this configuration because of JDK issues.
> [Message sent by forum member 'deronj' (deronj)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=166574
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net
>
>

--

http://thehumanjourney.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net

amirsadig
Offline
Joined: 2004-07-01

how did you installed the megabundle?

megabundle extract itself something like this:

./lg3d
./lg3d/usr
./lg3d/bin
./lg3d/etc
./lg3d/share
....
...

then I should manual copy everything under ./lg3d to "/" (root directory of the system). without this copy I couldn't run the postinstal script.

paulby
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-13

The issue is because the scripts assume the native code will be found in a path that includes the platform arch, this is obviously wrong when running the 32 bit release of lg3d on a 64 bit system.

I'll work on a fix

paulby
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-13

Well there seems to be something wrong with by 64 bit linux box so I need to reinstall.

In the meantime Chris can you try the following:

In lg3d/usr/share/lg3d/bin edit setup and add
if [ "$ARCH" == "x86_64" ]; then
export ARCH = "i686"
fi

at line 76

Then try running lg3d-app and let me know if it works.

Thanks

Paul

Chris Puttick

OK, that's cool... Can I make a similar change to postinstall to get
it as a session?

Like really cool...

Chris

On 25/10/06, lg3d@javadesktop.org wrote:
> Well there seems to be something wrong with by 64 bit linux box so I need to reinstall.
>
> In the meantime Chris can you try the following:
>
> In lg3d/usr/share/lg3d/bin edit setup and add
> if [ "$ARCH" == "x86_64" ]; then
> export ARCH = "i686"
> fi
>
> at line 76
>
> Then try running lg3d-app and let me know if it works.
>
> Thanks
>
> Paul
> [Message sent by forum member 'paulby' (paulby)]
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=167128
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net
>
>

--

http://thehumanjourney.net

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net