Skip to main content

firewall configuration issues with JXTA

3 replies [Last post]
apprenticegcc
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-23

Is ther a good guide online for how to configure a computer's security software (firewall, etc.) to allow JXTA to function?

I'm having major difficulties getting any JXTA application to find rendezvous peers despite properly inputting the suggested relay and rendezvous relay seeds. As far as I can tell, I have nothing special on a Windows computer except the built in firewall (which Java is given exception). The same problem arises on a Linux box even with ports 9701, 9700, 9901, and 9900 freed.

Thanks in advanced.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
tra
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-16

> Is ther a good guide online for how to configure a
> computer's security software (firewall, etc.) to
> allow JXTA to function?

Check the programmer guide http://www.jxta.org/Tutorials.html and the jxta.org wiki
>
> I'm having major difficulties getting any JXTA
> application to find rendezvous peers despite properly
> inputting the suggested relay and rendezvous relay
> seeds. As far as I can tell, I have nothing special
> on a Windows computer except the built in firewall
> (which Java is given exception). The same problem
> arises on a Linux box even with ports 9701, 9700,
> 9901, and 9900 freed.
You just need to enable HTTP transport and
select "use relay".

Hth,

B.

>
> Thanks in advanced.

apprenticegcc
Offline
Joined: 2006-08-23

"Tra",

Thanks for your reply to both of my posts! It's greatly appreciated.

I have thoroughly checked out the JXTA 2.3 tutorial (in fact have been utilizing and modifying the example programs). Also, I understand that JXTA [i][b]should[/b][/i] handle firewalls through HTTP connections and routing through a SRDI.

However, nothing (consistently) works as it should. Remote peer discovery, group discovery, etc. examples fail to return any results most of the time. In one test, JXTA failed to discover a JXTA application running on another computer residing on the same subnet. (Even MyJxta often fails to be aware of any other peers.)

This is why 1) I suspect there's a network (or perhaps JXTA cache issue and 2) I'm considering trying [i]forcing[/i] JXTA to find specific peers.

I gather that a private network (one which reassigns the NetPeerGroup) would isolate potential issues with the public JXTA network. The wiki provides info on setting up the [u]config.properties[/u] file. However, is there any other steps? Setting up a dedicated relay & rendezvous?

tra
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-16

> "Tra",.
>
> I gather that a private network (one which reassigns
> the NetPeerGroup) would isolate potential issues with
> the public JXTA network. The wiki provides info on
> setting up the [u]config.properties[/u] file.
> However, is there any other steps? Setting up a
> dedicated relay & rendezvous?
Yes, we recommend that you initially go through this
private network configuration so you get familiar with the various configuration parameters.

B.