Skip to main content

Tutorial Coding Style

28 replies [Last post]
afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

Hello,

I'm trying to update the developer tutorial to reflect some of the recent changes in LG3D (i.e. .lgfcg files). A couple questions:

1. In my CVS checkout, lg3d-core.jar is nowhere under lib. It is under build/current/debug/lib, and I can compile apps against it with -cp $LG3D_Home/build/current/debug/lib/lg3d-core.jar. However, with the 0.8.1 binaries it is in lib (instead of lib/ext, as the tutorial says). At this point, I'm writing instructions for the 0.8.1 build, but I'm wondering if I should mention CVS. Is this the correct file to build against, and if so should I comment on it, or just leave it for people to figure out?

2. The HTML coding style for the tutorials is driving me nuts. ;-) Nasty use of tables, and some slightly creative uses of

    tags. Would it be appropriate to update the code to something more W3C-friendly? I really don't want to step one someone else's toes doing this. :-)

William

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
pp65536
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-24
Points: 0

> I've incorporated the rest of Phil's suggestions into
> the developers' guide, and tweaked the tutorial page
> styles some more. Right now, I think it's as good as
> it's going to get. :-P

Indeed! :)

Great job!

Phil

Kirk Turner

> I guess it is because that an HTML editor Kirk used. Sometimes HTML editors emit very "creative" code. Also, as Kirk said, there was soem trickiness of living inside the java.net framework.

No it was all a Kirk problem - vi doesn't introduce nasty code :) But
I must admit some of the layout methods I've learnt have been from
dreamweaver output. Enough said :)

If there are problems getting the CSS working within the java.net
framework you can possibly do so nice stuff with the /nonav URL. For
example view: https://lg3d.dev.java.net/nonav/index.html and you'll
see the index page coming up without the java.net framework. The
taskbar works in this way.

Kirk

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

> If you do a make release you should see the path
> setups. It might be
> worth a mention of the path for the CVS version -
> however there are
> other options for cvs (including setting it up to
> build the jar
> automatically).

Hm, is this an ant target that I don't know about?

William

Juan González

El Lunes, 31 de Julio de 2006 20:04, lg3d@javadesktop.org escribió:
> > If you do a make release you should see the path
> > setups. It might be
> > worth a mention of the path for the CVS version -
> > however there are
> > other options for cvs (including setting it up to
> > build the jar
> > automatically).
>
> Hm, is this an ant target that I don't know about?

mmm, maybe...

opsi@halley:~/sources/lg3d/lg3d-core$ egrep " build.xml

;)

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

I've been playing with CSS. :-)

[url=http://img420.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tutorialshot1yj6.png]Picture here[/url].

Thoughts? I've been playing with different sizes trying to improve readability.

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

Hi William,

> I've been playing with CSS. :-)
>
> [url=http://img420.imageshack.us/my.php?image=tutorialshot1yj6.png]Picture here[/url].
>
> Thoughts? I've been playing with different sizes trying to improve readability.

Looks good! Since the java.net server rearranges the page, you need to putback in order to check out how it actually looks like (has anyone figured out a better way???).

Since you've sent us your JCA, I just granted a ContentDeveloper role in lg3d, which should allow you to put back the updated page. Maybe you want to rename the index.html (like index_test.html), put it back, and check out how it looks.

Thanks again for your work on improving the tutorials!

hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

> Since you've sent us your JCA, I just granted a
> ContentDeveloper role in lg3d, which should allow you
> to put back the updated page. Maybe you want to
> rename the index.html (like index_test.html), put it
> back, and check out how it looks.

Wow, I didn't even have to ask! :-)

I haven't touched the tutorial on the server yet, but I uploaded an update to the developer's getting started guide, and bumped the links header a little farther up on the home page (it was bugging me where it was before). If I unwittingly broke anything already, holler. :-P (More specifically, if I somehow overwrote someone's recent changes to index.html, let me know or just fix it.)

I'll finish cleaning up page one of the tutorial, then I'll upload it as Tutorial1_working.html or something like that.

William

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

The community members,

William (afishionado) kindly updated the Getting Started Guide. It would be great if you could check it out and see if anything missing.

https://lg3d.dev.java.net/lg3d-developers-guide.html

Hi William,

Thanks for your effort to update the contents! We really appreciate it.

For future reference, let me suggest that before working on some page, please post a message to the forum expressing what you'll work on, just in case. This is to avoid conflicts in changes (someone could been kept updating the same page, and thinking to putback sometime in future). Anyhow, this time, we don't hear any scream, so it was OK ;-)

> I'll finish cleaning up page one of the tutorial, then I'll upload it as Tutorial1_working.html or something like that.

Sounds great! Thanks again for your contributions!

hideya

pp65536
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-24
Points: 0

> The community members,
>
> William (afishionado) kindly updated the Getting
> Started Guide. It would be great if you could check
> it out and see if anything missing.
>
> https://lg3d.dev.java.net/lg3d-developers-guide.html

Great job William!

My "2 cents/suggestions":

- In section 2: Add a note to don't forget to download and install the jdk binary "add-on" if you have Solaris on AMD64

- Section 3 "Download the Project Looking Glass Core Source" is not "in Sync" with section 8. "Getting the latest Project Looking Glass source code". They don't talk about the same modules. Ex: section 3 checkout lg3d-core and lg3d-incubator but section 8. update lg3d-core and demo-apps...

- This one is more a question, In section 3. "Download the Project Looking Glass X11 Source (Optional)" it still talk about specifiyng the branch version to checkout lg3d-x11. I though it wasn't necessary anymore since current is in the CVS top? I mean, it works when I just do:

cvs -d : pserver:username@cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs checkout lg3d-x11

Instead of: cvs -d : pserver:username@cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs checkout -r dev-0-8-1 lg3d-x11/platform/arch lg3d-x11

- I think it would be nice to add resources links about were to get necessary third-party softwares, like cvs (and maybe a link on were to find more help on using cvs). On Solaris, I had to go fetch it from a place like blastwave.org or I would have to download and compile it prior to start.

Phil.

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

My life is a little crazy right now because I just started a new job. I don't think I'll get any more work done on the tutorial until late this weekend at best.

> For future reference, let me suggest that before
> working on some page, please post a message to the
> forum expressing what you'll work on, just in case.
> This is to avoid conflicts in changes (someone
> could been kept updating the same page, and thinking
> to putback sometime in future). Anyhow, this time,
> we don't hear any scream, so it was OK ;)

Well, I CVS reported no changes for the last five months, and a patch I'd already submitted (issue #12) had been languishing for a few days. However, point taken. I'll holler before trying that again. :-)

Phil, thanks for the feedback!

> - In section 2: Add a note to don't forget to
> download and install the jdk binary "add-on" if you
> have Solaris on AMD64

This isn't something that I'm familiar with (I don't use Solaris and only have access to 32-bit machines). If you want to elaborate on that, I'll add it in.

> - Section 3 "Download the Project Looking Glass Core
> Source" is not "in Sync" with section 8. "Getting the
> latest Project Looking Glass source code". They don't
> talk about the same modules. Ex: section 3 checkout
> lg3d-core and lg3d-incubator but section 8. update
> lg3d-core and demo-apps...

My bad. I'll fix it.

> - This one is more a question, In section 3.
> "Download the Project Looking Glass X11 Source
> (Optional)" it still talk about specifiyng the branch
> version to checkout lg3d-x11. I though it wasn't
> necessary anymore since current is in the CVS top? I
> mean, it works when I just do:
>
> cvs -d : pserver:username@cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs
> checkout lg3d-x11
>
> Instead of: cvs -d :
> pserver:username@cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs checkout -r
> dev-0-8-1 lg3d-x11/platform/arch lg3d-x11

Actually, that's what exactly I did when I pulled the code to build. :-)

I opted to take the conservative route and not change the instructions (I don't think that specifying the branch at checkout well break anything). However, I'll go back and change that now.

> - I think it would be nice to add resources links
> about were to get necessary third-party softwares,
> like cvs (and maybe a link on were to find more help
> on using cvs). On Solaris, I had to go fetch it from
> a place like blastwave.org or I would have to
> download and compile it prior to start.

Again, if you want to forward some of these links my way, I'll see about adding them. Under Debian, "apt-get install cvs" is all I need to get the client, so I've never had to go looking for a download site myself. :-)

William

pp65536
Offline
Joined: 2006-07-24
Points: 0

> My life is a little crazy right now because I just
> started a new job. I don't think I'll get any more
> work done on the tutorial until late this weekend at
> best.

No stress, the document is already in "good shape".. :)

> > - In section 2: Add a note to don't forget to
> > download and install the jdk binary "add-on" if
> you
> > have Solaris on AMD64
>
> This isn't something that I'm familiar with (I don't
> use Solaris and only have access to 32-bit machines).
> If you want to elaborate on that, I'll add it in.

When going there http://download.java.net/jdk6/binaries
to download the jdk...we must make sure to don't forget to download the ADM64 add-on package and the jdk for Solaris x86..I think to just put a remimder in section "2.1" would be ok. Something like:

[b]For Solaris on AMD64, don't forget to download and install the Solaris AMD64 jdk after the Solaris x86 jdk.[/b]

> > - This one is more a question, In section 3.
> > "Download the Project Looking Glass X11 Source
> > (Optional)" it still talk about specifiyng the
> branch
> > version to checkout lg3d-x11. I though it wasn't
> > necessary anymore since current is in the CVS top?
> I
> > mean, it works when I just do:
> >
> > cvs -d : pserver:username@cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs
> > checkout lg3d-x11
> >
> > Instead of: cvs -d :
> > pserver:username@cvs.dev.java.net:/cvs checkout -r
> > dev-0-8-1 lg3d-x11/platform/arch lg3d-x11
>
> Actually, that's what exactly I did when I pulled the
> code to build. :-)

Strange, I got a nasty error message when I do it for solaris/i86pc:

lock.c:223: failed assertion `strncmp (repository, current_parsed_root->directory, strlen (current_parsed_root->directory)) == 0'
cvs [server aborted]: received abort signal
lock.c:223: failed assertion `strncmp (repository, current_parsed_root->directory, strlen (current_parsed_root->directory)) == 0'
cvs [server aborted]: received abort signal

Maybe my cvs software is broken? I'll need to check...

> I opted to take the conservative route and not change
> the instructions (I don't think that specifying the
> branch at checkout well break anything). However,
> I'll go back and change that now.

It was just a suggestion...if it does work, by all means feel free keep it and do as you want..;)

> > - I think it would be nice to add resources links
> > about were to get necessary third-party softwares,
> > like cvs (and maybe a link on were to find more
> help
> > on using cvs). On Solaris, I had to go fetch it
> from
> > a place like blastwave.org or I would have to
> > download and compile it prior to start.
>
> Again, if you want to forward some of these links my
> way, I'll see about adding them. Under Debian,
> "apt-get install cvs" is all I need to get the
> client, so I've never had to go looking for a
> download site myself. :-)

for software repositories for Solaris: http://www.blastwave.org/
http://www.sunfreeware.com/

for more info on cvs: http://ximbiot.com/cvs/manual/

Good luck in your new job! :)

Phil

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

> Strange, I got a nasty error message when I do it for
> solaris/i86pc:
>
> lock.c:223: failed assertion `strncmp (repository,
> current_parsed_root->directory, strlen
> (current_parsed_root->directory)) == 0'
> cvs [server aborted]: received abort signal
> lock.c:223: failed assertion `strncmp (repository,
> current_parsed_root->directory, strlen
> (current_parsed_root->directory)) == 0'
> cvs [server aborted]: received abort signal
>
> Maybe my cvs software is broken? I'll need to
> check...

Ack! I meant that I checked it out without specifying a revision, and it worked.

Apparently specifying the revision per the current instructions *is* broken, so that needs to be fixed, too.

William

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

Hi William,

> Apparently specifying the revision per the current instructions *is* broken, so that needs to be fixed, too.

Yep, you are right. It is broken. It would be great if you could fix it when you update the document next time.

Thanks!
hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

OK, the major issues of the developers' guide have been fixed; I still have to go back and add the Solaris-specific notes.

A first version of page 1 of the tutorial is online at:

https://lg3d.dev.java.net/tutorial/tutorial1-working.html

java.net's stylesheet seems to be messing with the font sizes in my headers :-( but otherwise it looks like what I hoped for. (If you go under your browser's "view" menu and increase the page's font size about three times you'll see headers that look roughly like what I wanted, but then the rest of the page will look crazy.)

I'm still debating whether or not the dark green stripe at the back of the taskbar image makes the header text harder to read at some font sizes. I can read it just fine, myself. :-) Anybody else have comments?

Things that still need work:

1. Code formatting. At the very least, the standalone code examples need to be indented relative to the text. The original also had some other things going on, such has having command prompts being a different color, that I nuked while reformatting the page.

2. lgcfg files and icons. If someone could point me at the actual lgcfg and icon files used by the current version of the tutorial app, that would be great. :-) (I know it's there, somewhere!) I notice that, currently, the tutorial discusses assembling a jar file at the end of page 1, and again at the end of page 2. I'm thinking that the first time I can give an explanation of how to create a taskbar icon, and the second time cover how to actually create a menu entry.

3. Anything else that I'm missing! :-) Since the page isn't really "live" (it's not linked from anywhere except this post), feel free to hop on and improve it.

William

Message was edited by: afishionado

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

Hi William,

Thanks again for your contribution for the updated tutorial!

> A first version of page 1 of the tutorial is online at:
>
> https://lg3d.dev.java.net/tutorial/tutorial1-working.html

Looks good to me!

> I'm still debating whether or not the dark green stripe at the back of the taskbar image makes the header text harder to read at some font sizes. I can read it just fine, myself. :) Anybody else have comments?

Yeah, that's what I'm wondering too. How about moving the green stripe lower, so that most of the text comes above it?

> 2. lgcfg files and icons. If someone could point me at the actual lgcfg and icon files used by the current version of the tutorial app, that would be great.

Please check out the following tow directories:
lg3d-demo-apps/config
lg3d-demo-apps/src/classes/org/javadesktop/lg3d/apps/tutorial/resources/images/icon

For the online tutorial, you may want to avoid the deep hierarchy and put the icon image at the top like Kirk did for the previous version (note that the class files don't also reside in a package).

> I notice that, currently, the tutorial discusses assembling a jar file at the end of page 1, and again at the end of page 2. I'm thinking that the first time I can give an explanation of how to create a taskbar icon, and the second time cover how to actually create a menu entry.

Sounds like a good idea to me. A minor clarification -- Juan pointed out some complication in creating a new menu entry. So, for the second time, maybe just putting the icon in an existing menu category would be reasonable.

> 3. Anything else that I'm missing! :) Since the page isn't really "live" (it's not linked from anywhere except this post), feel free to hop on and improve it.

Thanks for being open to the other community members! :)

hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

I've incorporated the rest of Phil's suggestions into the developers' guide, and tweaked the tutorial page styles some more. Right now, I think it's as good as it's going to get. :-P

If nobody else has any comments by Wednesday, I'll start work on pages two and three.

William

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

Hi William,

> I've incorporated the rest of Phil's suggestions into the developers' guide, and tweaked the tutorial page styles some more.

https://lg3d.dev.java.net/tutorial/tutorial1-working.html

Thanks. Looks great! I found one minor typo. In Step 6, there is a link to "The jar file's Manifest file", I guess this should be:

http://java.sun.com/docs/books/tutorial/deployment/jar/manifestindex.html

(instead of .../tutorial/jar/manifest/index.html)

It looks like they rearranged their web site contents.

hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

> It looks like they rearranged their web site
> contents.

Fixed. :-)

I'm playing with a Python script to automatically reformat the pages from here on. It doesn't quite handle the code samples right yet, but I'm working on it.

[code]
#!/usr/bin/python

from HTMLParser import HTMLParser
import string

class MyHTMLParser(HTMLParser):
output = ""
subheader = 0
isCode = 0
isList = 0
listNesting = 0
emptyList = False;
def handle_starttag(self, tag, attrs):
if (tag == "br"):
if (self.isCode):
print "Some nut was using
s in the middle of a preformatted code block!"
self.output = self.output + "\n"
else:
self.output = self.output + "

\n\n"
elif (tag == "table"):
print "Aw, man, a table. I hate tables!"
elif (tag == "tr"):
print "Alright. I'm starting on a new table row."
elif (tag == "td"):
self.output = self.output + "

"
elif (tag == "th"):
if (self.subheader):
self.output = self.output + "

"
else:
self.output = self.output + "

"
elif (tag == "ol"):
if (self.isList):
print "Okay, listNesting was %i..." % self.listNesting
self.listNesting = self.listNesting + 1
print "Wow, now it's %i!" % self.listNesting
self.emptyList = False
else:
self.isList = 1
self.output = self.output + "
    "
    self.emptyList = True
    print "Okay, we have an empty list!"
    elif (tag == "code"):
    self.isCode = 1
    if (self.isList):
    if (self.emptyList):
    print "Okay, I'm trimming off that stupid
      tag"
      self.output = self.output[0:-4]
      self.output = self.output + "

      "
      				else:
      					print "Not an empty list."
      			else:
      				self.output = self.output + ""
      			self.emptyList = False
      		else:
      			self.output = self.output + " <" + tag
      			for x in attrs:
      				self.output = self.output + " " + x[0] + "=\"" + x[1] + "\""
      			self.output = self.output + ">"
      	
      	def handle_endtag(self, tag):
      		if (tag == "br"):
      			if (0 == self.isCode):
      				self.output = self.output + "

      " elif (tag == "table"): print "Ugh. I'm glad I'm finished with that table!" elif (tag == "tr"): self.subheader = 0 elif (tag == "td"): self.output = self.output + "

      \n\n" elif (tag == "th"): if (self.subheader): self.output = self.output + "

" else: self.output = self.output + "" self.subheader = 1 elif (tag == "code"): if (self.isList): print "Yay. Some nut was using
    instead of
     again."
    				self.output = self.output + "\n"
    			else:
    				self.output = self.output + ""
    				self.isCode = False
    		elif (tag == "ol"):
    			if (self.isCode):
    				if (self.listNesting > 0):
    					print "Okay, listNesting was at %i..." % self.listNesting
    					self.listNesting = self.listNesting - 1
    					print "Now it's %i!" % self.listNesting
    				if (self.listNesting == 0):
    					self.isCode = False
    					self.output = self.output + "

    "
    self.isList = False
    else:
    self.output = self.output + "

"
self.isList = False
self.emptyList = False
else:
self.output = self.output + " "

def handle_data(self, data):
data = string.strip(data)
if (data != ""):
if (self.subheader):
print "YAHOO!!! I made it to the \"%s\" section!" % data
if (self.isCode):
print "Processing code: %s" % data
x = 0
while (x < self.listNesting):
data = " " + data
x = x + 1
self.output = self.output + data

def handle_charref(self, name):
self.output = self.output + "&#" + name + ";"

print "|======================================|"
print "|| ||"
print "|| Launching HTML converter ||"
print "|| ||"
print "|======================================|"
file = open('tutorial2.html', 'r')
code = file.read()

parser = MyHTMLParser();
parser.feed(code)

open('tutorial2-working.html', 'w').write(parser.output)

[/code]

Update: Tried to fix code formatting.

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

> > It looks like they rearranged their web site
> > contents.
>
> Fixed. :)

Thanks for your immediate attention, William!

> I'm playing with a Python script to automatically reformat the pages from here on. It doesn't quite handle the code samples right yet, but I'm working on it.

Cool! Looks very useful (with fun outputs! ;)

hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

At the very end of step 4 on page 2, is the following block of code:

[code]Cursor3D cursor = new Cursor3D();
cursor.addChild(cursorBody);
cursor.setPreferredSize(new Vector3f(0.004f, 0.004f, 0.004f));
comp.setCursor(cursor);[/code]

The line cursor.adddChild(cursorBody); is missing in the CVS code in lg3d-demo-apps. Should it be removed from the tutorial as well? Any explanation for the change? (The comments in the code seem to still refer to the line.)

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

Hi William,

> At the very end of step 4 on page 2, is the following block of code:
> [code]> Cursor3D cursor = new Cursor3D();
> cursor.addChild(cursorBody);
> cursor.setPreferredSize(new Vector3f(0.004f, 0.004f, 0.004f));
> comp.setCursor(cursor);[/code]>
> The line cursor.adddChild(cursorBody); is missing in the CVS code in lg3d-demo-apps. Should it be removed from the tutorial as well? Any explanation for the change? (The comments in the code seem to still refer to the line.)

Actually, the lines to create cursor has been changed. Now those look like:[code] Cursor3D cursor = new Cursor3D("Red Ball Cursor", cursorBody);
cursor.setPreferredSize(new Vector3f(0.004f, 0.004f, 0.004f));
comp.setCursor(cursor);[/code]As you see, the cursorBody is now specified by the constructor. Please update that part of the tutorial.

Thanks!
hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

I didn't really realize that the other lines had really changed until you pointed it out. :-P I'll get in there and fix that.

BTW, any other changes that you can think of off the top of your head that I should update for? I went through and compared all of the code from CVS to the snippets in the tutorial. The change to the cursor code was the only one I noticed, but now I wonder if there's more that I missed.

William

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

Hi William,

> I'll get in there and fix that.

Thanks!

> BTW, any other changes that you can think of off the top of your head that I should update for? I went through and compared all of the code from CVS to the snippets in the tutorial. The change to the cursor code was the only one I noticed, but now I wonder if there's more that I missed.

I think there is nothing else -- I also did line by line comparison, and missed those lines (I even missed the change of the number of lines, which you picked up). Thanks for the careful work, William!

hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

Well, the changes are now "live"--clicking on the tutorial link on the home page takes you to the tutorials.

The code subdirectory has been updated as well. diff didn't pick up any changes to Tutorial1.java or Tutorial3.java besides the revision numbers, so I left those alone. For Tutorial2.java and GlassyTutorial3TaskbarItem.java, I went ahead and just copied over the files from lg3d-demo-apps, then stripped out the package code. Holler if I broke anything. :-P

Also, for the life of me, I couldn't find the application manifest files anywhere in lg3d-demo-apps. So, I just made them up--it's not like there's a whole lot of possible variations on a manifest file. ;)

I also haven't touched the screenshots. If people really want Windows XP screenshots, then I'll just wait for someone else to make them. ;) Otherwise, you might see some Linux screenshots up before long.

Other than that, I think I can sit back and wait for the bug reports to roll in. :)

William

Kirk Turner

Hi William - thanks for doing the updates for me!
> 1. In my CVS checkout, lg3d-core.jar is nowhere under lib. It is under build/current/debug/lib, and I can compile apps against it with -cp $LG3D_Home/build/current/debug/lib/lg3d-core.jar. However, with the 0.8.1 binaries it is in lib (instead of lib/ext, as the tutorial says). At this point, I'm writing instructions for the 0.8.1 build, but I'm wondering if I should mention CVS. Is this the correct file to build against, and if so should I comment on it, or just leave it for people to figure out?

If you do a make release you should see the path setups. It might be
worth a mention of the path for the CVS version - however there are
other options for cvs (including setting it up to build the jar
automatically).

>
> 2. The HTML coding style for the tutorials is driving me nuts. ;-) Nasty use of tables, and some slightly creative uses of

    tags. Would it be appropriate to update the code to something more W3C-friendly? I really don't want to step one someone else's toes doing this. :-)

    Yeah I find it a pain to maintain too and I wrote it... but HTML is
    not my forte (and I hate it which doesn't help)- and I had to make
    some compromises to work around the embedded css issues (because its
    running in the java.net framework). Feel free to make it nice, my toes
    are well out of the way.

    Kirk

    ---------------------------------------------------------------------
    To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
    For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net

hideya
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-22
Points: 0

Hi William and Kirk,

Thanks, William, from me to for working on updating the tutorial. It would be much appreciated by many community members!

> > 1. In my CVS checkout, lg3d-core.jar is nowhere under lib. It is under build/current/debug/lib, and I can compile apps against it with -cp $LG3D_Home/build/current/debug/lib/lg3d-core.jar. However, with the 0.8.1 binaries it is in lib (instead of lib/ext, as the tutorial says). At this point, I'm writing instructions for the 0.8.1 build, but I'm wondering if I should mention CVS. Is this the correct file to build against, and if so should I comment on it, or just leave it for people to figure out?
>
> If you do a make release you should see the path setups. It might be
> worth a mention of the path for the CVS version - however there are
> other options for cvs (including setting it up to build the jar
> automatically).

I agree that the instructions should be updated to the 0.8.1 binary build, with some comments on the build with CVS.

> > 2. The HTML coding style for the tutorials is driving me nuts. ;) Nasty use of tables, and some slightly creative uses of

    tags. Would it be appropriate to update the code to something more W3C-friendly? I really don't want to step one someone else's toes doing this. :)

    I guess it is because that an HTML editor Kirk used. Sometimes HTML editors emit very "creative" code. Also, as Kirk said, there was soem trickiness of living inside the java.net framework.

    > Feel free to make it nice, my toes
    > are well out of the way.

    Thanks, Kirk, for being open to the community, as usual :-)

    hideya

afishionado
Offline
Joined: 2004-05-26
Points: 0

The two things so far that bug me are that:

1) Everything is in a big table so that headers can appear to the left of the content. This means that every other paragraph has to be nested in a mess or
and tags. It takes three or four tabs of indentation just to keep the code straight. Now, everything wrapped in

 tags either is going to show up on the page with four extra tabs of indentation, or we have weird-looking HTML.

If people want, I could try to whip up some CSS that pads the left margins of the text to mimic the current "look" of the tutorial without using tables. We'll see if java.net bites me on this. :-)

2) Code excerpts are wrapped in 
    tags instead of
     tags. I kid you not. This seems to work around the extra indentation, but, as far as I can tell, this does not allow for *any* indentation to be displayed in the code excerpts. Either way, I doubt that it's W3C-approved usage. :-)
    
    Also, before I write anything more about the CVS builds, I'd better make sure I know what I'm talking about. :-) Are there separate trees for 0.9.0-pre and 0.8.x yet? If so, are there significant differences between them at this point?
    
    William      
Juan González

Hi William,
> Also, before I write anything more about the CVS builds, I'd better make
> sure I know what I'm talking about. :-) Are there separate trees for
> 0.9.0-pre and 0.8.x yet? If so, are there significant differences between
> them at this point?

some time ago the project used different branches for each new release (till
0.7.1 I think), but it was a pain as it required a lot of extra work to
branch-merge the CVS on each release, so it was decided to follow the usual
behaviour of open source projects, putting all the new development in the
HEAD, and using sticky tags for each new release. In short, there is only one
branch in CVS (experimental branches appart oc) so it shouldn't be an issue.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net