Skip to main content

[VOTE] Send edited messages to the mailinglist again?

11 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

A couple of days an unexpected (for me) behaviour of the forum software
crept into the limelight:

http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=133559

when writing a message directly on the forum, posting it, editing the
same message and save the edit, only the originally written message is
passed-through to the mailinglist, the edited portion never makes it to
list. The result is that community members which participate in
discussion mostly through the mailinglist (f.i. I do so for about 98% of
the time) don't see all of the input.

So I pinged Jeff about it who in turn pinged the jive people who came up
with the following answer:

>> While it wouldn't be very hard to implement that change, it could get
>> annoying. We've found that people typically do message edits to
>> correct
>> very small issues. That would result in a bunch of extra emails,
>> and it
>> would also be pretty hard to tell what had changed. Often, people
>> simply
>> disable message editing if there's a lot of people reading and
>> interacting via email, so that everybody's on a level playing field.

or in other words: they might be able and willing to pass-on edited
messages if we want it (no guarantee, though).

What a long intro to a simple question: do we want that edited messages
are passed over to the mailinglist again?

From me it's a clear +1.

Usual voting procedures (which I must look up ).

Please participate to build up motivation for the Jive team!

Thanks
Jeanette

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Patrick Wright

> I rely exclusively on the web interface, which implies that messages are editable. I know that I've done quite a bit more than just fix typos -- I've softened tone and tried to be less confrontational, even (recently) going so far as to remove an entire message. Unfortunately, since most of the regulars are using the mailing list, my efforts seem to have been wasted.

I was wondering why you were being so confrontational ;)

-p

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net

Kleopatra

The results:

+1: 3 votes
0: 3 votes
-1: 1 vote

Hmm...

>
> Usual voting procedures (which I must look up ).
>

... after digging up the old thread I'm not entirely clear what this
means - do we have to convince Romain or is this an issue where a
majority might be sufficient?

Jeanette

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net

rbair
Offline
Joined: 2003-07-08
Points: 0

> ... after digging up the old thread I'm not entirely
> clear what this
> means - do we have to convince Romain or is this an
> issue where a
> majority might be sufficient?

Ah, the perils of voting :-). I was actually confused by this entire thread, as I don't understand what the vote is intended to do. Can we just change the behavior for our list only? In the original posting, I thought it sounded like something that Collabnet just wasn't going to do.

Kleopatra

jdnc-interest@javadesktop.org wrote:
>
> Ah, the perils of voting :-).

- especially as the section "Procedural voting" in the Apache voting
guidelines has the content: "TBS"

> I was actually confused by this entire thread, as I don't understand what the vote is intended to do.

hmm ... maybe my intro was really too long ;-), quoating:

"What a long intro to a simple question: do we want that edited messages
are passed over to the mailinglist again?"

My expection was an overwhelming "yes" because I couldn't imagine
anybody to happily live with information loss.

> Can we just change the behavior for our list only?

That's the idea - from how I understood Jeff, it's not possible right
now but neither is it rocket science to add the feature, so they _might_
add it if we really want it.

What seems to be possible right now, is to disable the editing feature
on the forum. Hmm ...

Jeanette

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net

weebib
Offline
Joined: 2004-08-20
Points: 0

Hey Jeannette.

> What seems to be possible right now, is to disable
> the editing feature on the forum. Hmm ...
This is indeed, in my opinion, the best solution. There is a preview button after all.

I don't see what's more difficult in reading carefully one's post before posting than after.

Pierre

reden
Offline
Joined: 2004-01-02
Points: 0

Yeah, I guess it wouldn't be something I'd want either. Could it be an option that's enabled for people who want to see the edits?

evickroy
Offline
Joined: 2004-07-23
Points: 0

And there it dies.... you get the opposing view followed up by the middle-of-the-road-with-more-features view. Isn't this how most cool software features die out? ;)

Just kidding... I don't rely on the mailing list, so it doesn't really matter to me. I can see it being relatively annoying either way, though.

Erik

Patrick Wright

+1

My guess would be that edits are infrequent and so should be sent to
the mailing list. I use the mailing list exclusively unless the link
is broken, or unless I need to search for much older stuff not in my
email storage.

Patrick

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net

david_hall
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-12
Points: 0

+1

Should be no suprise.

I rely exclusively on the web interface, which implies that messages are editable. I know that I've done quite a bit more than just fix typos -- I've softened tone and tried to be less confrontational, even (recently) going so far as to remove an entire message. Unfortunately, since most of the regulars are using the mailing list, my efforts seem to have been wasted.

weebib
Offline
Joined: 2004-08-20
Points: 0

+0

Personally I use the rss feeds feature and, IMHO, it is a nice way to combine the advantages of both solutions.

Pierre

Romain Guy

-1 for me. I don't want to get another copy of each discussion just
because someone fixed a typo. In case of important changes, why not just
write a follow-up in the discussion?

Kleopatra wrote:
>
> A couple of days an unexpected (for me) behaviour of the forum software
> crept into the limelight:
>
> http://forums.java.net/jive/thread.jspa?messageID=133559
>
> when writing a message directly on the forum, posting it, editing the
> same message and save the edit, only the originally written message is
> passed-through to the mailinglist, the edited portion never makes it to
> list. The result is that community members which participate in
> discussion mostly through the mailinglist (f.i. I do so for about 98% of
> the time) don't see all of the input.
>
> So I pinged Jeff about it who in turn pinged the jive people who came up
> with the following answer:
>
> >> While it wouldn't be very hard to implement that change, it could get
> >> annoying. We've found that people typically do message edits to
> >> correct
> >> very small issues. That would result in a bunch of extra emails,
> >> and it
> >> would also be pretty hard to tell what had changed. Often, people
> >> simply
> >> disable message editing if there's a lot of people reading and
> >> interacting via email, so that everybody's on a level playing field.
>
> or in other words: they might be able and willing to pass-on edited
> messages if we want it (no guarantee, though).
>
> What a long intro to a simple question: do we want that edited messages
> are passed over to the mailinglist again?
>
> From me it's a clear +1.
>
> Usual voting procedures (which I must look up ).
>
> Please participate to build up motivation for the Jive team!
>
> Thanks
> Jeanette
>
>
>
>
>
>
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net
>

--
Romain GUY
http://jroller.com/page/gfx
http://weblogs.java.net/blog/gfx/
http://www.progx.org
http://www.jext.org

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net