Skip to main content

Problem when Msvcr71.dll not available in /windows/system32

3 replies [Last post]
jansan
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-24

I just installed Mustang b69 on a machine (WinXP Pro, SP2) that had JDK 1.5.0 installed before (no previous Mustang snapshot was installed). After installation I tried to run a simple Java app and got an error message that Msvcr71.dll could not be found, reinstallation of the app might solve the problem. Even a simple java -version results in the same error message. Installing the same snapshot did not change anything.

I did a quick search on the machine for Msvcr71.dll and found it in the bin directories of the just installed JRE and JDK. Comparing it to another machine where I had installed a Mustang snapshot successfully showed that the Msvcr71.dll is installed in windows/system32/ on the machine where Mustang is running well. On the machine that caused problems the file was missing in windows/system32/. Simply placing a copy of Msvcr71.dll in that directory solved the problem.

My conclusion is that Mustang installs Msvcr71.dll into the bin directories, but it is relying on the dll from windows/system32. Since Msvcr71.dll is not necessarily available in windows/system32, this could become quite a problem on some end user's machines.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
sbohne
Offline
Joined: 2005-04-26

This should be fixed in b71 under bug ID 6368613.

jansan
Offline
Joined: 2005-02-24

Excellent! If you need my address so you know where to send the Ultra 20 workstation that I just won, please let me know ;-)

cwillour
Offline
Joined: 2008-05-15

hate to say it, but the problem appears to still exist in 6 update 6 (I just installed two clean Win 2003 R2 x86 servers and had the identical issue.) To verify the /system32 solution still works, I copied the msvcr71.dll from the /bin directory on one of the systems to the /system32 dir and verified Java started functioning properly (while the other system was still broken.) Once I copied the file on the second system, it two started working.