"Xtreme" Drag and Drop
I took my head in my hands, and I thinked about the Drag and Drop...
Actually, there is no Drag and Drop in LG3D, but I think that is a need !
Here are my ideas :
- an universal trash on the taskbar (something like MacOS, where we could put
useless backgrounds, shortcuts icons or mounted devices for instance)
- everything can be drag and dropped
- small drawers (I hope it's the good word...), something like the way Xfce
works... What is the link with the Drag and Drop ? I think that we could for
instance go on a webpage, drop a picture in a drawer, reboot the computer and
drop the picture from the drawer to a new OpenOffice document for instance :
the content must stay between two reboots ! I could also drag an email to a
drawer, then drag it back to the web browser which will show the mail as if
it were a HTML file on the harddrive...
- the windows pictures in the taskbar should be droppable in a drawer too !
The window would be closed, and then restored by dropping it to the window
pictures list back....
Yet, back to the 3D effects :
the trash should off course be a 3D cylinder, with translucency. When we leave
the mouse over the trash, it should rotate (like if we push it and it fails),
all the trashed items should go over the taskbar in order to be easily
selected... The same effect should be applied to the drawers. The items go
back in the trash when the mouse leave the taskbar for two-three seconds.
Good points from that XDnD :
- easy for users, it's very intuitive
- a lot of features,
- no additionnal window
Bad points :
- hard to implement ? (I suppose it's possible to create an event
corresponding to the drag and drop, just do it :p
- compatibility with existing apps : would need a Qt patch (?) for instance in
order to make it compatible with our system,
- for the window dragged to drawers : is it possible to do the window remember
their state (opened file) without recoding most of the applictions in order
to make them use our APIs ?