Skip to main content

3D Desktops In General

4 replies [Last post]
justinagain
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-14
Points: 0

I looked at this project maybe a year ago and see it now, amazing. I have some general questions that I do not have the time to research:

1. Who else is working on 3D desktop managers (Microsoft, Linux, etc) and how does Looking Glass compare?
2. How far away is sun from having a distribution that a non-programmer (typical user) could install? I imagine they are trying to figure out how to get native windows apps to run in this realm.
3. Is Google involved in this project at all?
4. Any experiences to this point with users, trying to get them to think about applications in a 3D way as opposed to 2D?
5. Is there a better way to implement Pico in this environment? <- joking

I'm simply amazed at how this thing is progressing. I currently work as a research scientist and I would really love to attempt writing an app I am currently working on to run in this environment. It would absolutely, positively blow away our sponsors.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
deronj
Offline
Joined: 2003-09-02
Points: 0

> > 1. Who else is working on 3D desktop managers
> (Microsoft, Linux, etc) and
> > how does Looking Glass compare?
> Nobody else Looking Glass really works on a full 3D
> desktop environment.

Microsoft Windows Vista Beta has a 3D look-and-feel called Aeroglass that appears to be a direct rip-off of LG. You can slant native windows, etc. But I haven't seen any evidence that they support the notion of a pure-3D window (such as the LG cdplayer).

Redhat is the only Linux company I know of that is experimenting with >2D. They have a demo called Luminocity in which they are using OpenGL to achieve transparency and zooming effects. But it's not really 3D.

The Croquet project (opencroquet.org) is working on a collaborative immersive 3D environment which is pretty cool. It is written is Smalltalk.

Apple has been introducing elements of 3D into the OSX environment (e.g. fast user switching rotates users desktops on a 3D cube). I wouldn't be surprised if they continue to introduce more and more 3D elements, especially considering the pressure they must be under from Windows Vista. I don't know specifically whether they are working on any similar to Aeroglass or LG, but I'd be surprised if they were not. After all, they were the first company to use OpenGL for their window system rendering.

Pierre D.

Le Vendredi 07 Octobre 2005 01:29, lg3d-interest@javadesktop.org a écrit :
> > > 1. Who else is working on 3D desktop managers
> >
> > (Microsoft, Linux, etc) and
> >
> > > how does Looking Glass compare?
> >
> > Nobody else Looking Glass really works on a full 3D
> > desktop environment.
>
> Microsoft Windows Vista Beta has a 3D look-and-feel called Aeroglass that
> appears to be a direct rip-off of LG. You can slant native windows, etc.
> But I haven't seen any evidence that they support the notion of a pure-3D
> window (such as the LG cdplayer).
I said _full_ 3D Desktop environment, that's why Vista, Mac OS X and
luminocity aren't considered.
> The Croquet project (opencroquet.org) is working on a collaborative
> immersive 3D environment which is pretty cool. It is written is Smalltalk.
I forgot that project.

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net

Pierre D.

Le Jeudi 06 Octobre 2005 18:00, lg3d-interest@javadesktop.org a écrit :
> I looked at this project maybe a year ago and see it now, amazing. I have
> some general questions that I do not have the time to research:
>
> 1. Who else is working on 3D desktop managers (Microsoft, Linux, etc) and
> how does Looking Glass compare?
Nobody else Looking Glass really works on a full 3D desktop environment.
> 2. How far away is sun from having a
> distribution that a non-programmer (typical user) could install? I imagine
> they are trying to figure out how to get native windows apps to run in this
> realm.
Windows applications won't run in Looking Glass, that's impossible because
windows is too closed.
> 3. Is Google involved in this project at all?
No, they "sponsored" some students during the holidays to work on a lot of
free softwares, and looking glass was part of that.
> 4. Any experiences to this point with users, trying to get them to think
> about applications in a 3D way as opposed to 2D?
Just try it yourself :)
> 5. Is there a better way
> to implement Pico in this environment? <- joking
What is pico ?

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net

opsi

Hi pierre,
> What is pico ?
pico is an ancient text editor for the console, precursor of the nano editor
and still available in many distros. It is used internally by the pine mail
client to compose the mails so if you ever used pine, you used pico also.

Regards

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: interest-unsubscribe@lg3d.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: interest-help@lg3d.dev.java.net