Comment from Swing team about Windows L&F?
Hi, I want to ask the Swing team for comments on the Windows (XP) L&F. I have a few questions, I hope they don't seem like attacks, but I want to hear what's going on in the Swing team:
1. Do you think the Windows L&F makes an application look truly native, compared to native applications or SWT?
2. Are you aware of the dozens (if not hundreds) of bugs with the way the Windows L&F looks and feels, ranging from text alignment, to colors, to fonts, to drop shadows? (Many of these are reported in the Sun bug database, some (even simple ones) have been there since JDK 1.4.2 beta, when XP L&F was first released.)
3. Do you think lack of major improvement in the Windows L&F is drawing users to SWT and/or C# for desktop development?
4. Do you know about the WinLAF project on java.net?
5. Why weren't the WinLAF fixes integrated into Tiger?
6a. What percentage of development for Tiger has gone into improving Windows L&F fidelity?
6b. What percentage does the team plan for 5.0 Update 1?
6c. What percentage for Mustang?
6d. If not, what is the Swing team working on that prevents more development going to the Windows L&F?
7. Do you plan to make the Windows L&F look and feel just as native as a C# or SWT program, for Mustang? (This would require addressing those dozens or hundreds of bugs.)
8. Do you plan to release the source code for Windows L&F, so people like Brian Duff (of WinLAF project) and myself can improve it ourselves, and bundle our improved version with our applications?
This is all, I hope someone from the Swing team can take the time to answer these questions. I think they are questions that many people in the Swing developer community wonder about, and I hope the answers will clear things up.