Skip to main content

[PROPOSAL] JToaster integration...

8 replies [Last post]
danielepiras80
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-31

I hope that some SwingX developer is reading this message. I have developed a simple java toaster project in sourceforge and I think that it could be included in SwingX. It's opensource and completely free under GPL license.

The link for my project is:
http://sourceforge.net/projects/jtoaster/

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Patrick Wright

Daniele

On 8/30/05, jdnc-interest@javadesktop.org wrote:
> I hope that some SwingX developer is reading this message. I have developed a simple java toaster project in sourceforge and I think that it could be included in SwingX. It's opensource and completely free under GPL license.

Your "toaster" (I finally get the name!) was mentioned on mailing list
yesterday, people were very excited to see it.

I'm a contributor to SwingLabs, not any official voice, but here are a
couple of things:
- SwingLabs components are licensed under the LGPL, not the GPL, so we
probably can't just take your code and merge it in, unless your
license is changed (as far as I know), because of how the GPL works.

- We are working towards a 1.0 release shortly (specifically for
SwingX, databinding, and TBD) so there is a virtual freeze on new
features right at the moment.

- We *love* having new contributors. If you want to share any code,
the easiest thing to do is
- get a java.net license if you don't already have one
- submit a copy of the JCA (https://jdnc.dev.java.net/contribute.html)
- ask for an account in the jdnc-incubator project, and check stuff in

Almost all new components go into the incubator first so we can see
them and argue about them. You can only use the incubator if you have
signed the JCA and will license any code you submit under the LGPL.

Your project was very exciting to read about and we'd love to work
with you on that and other ideas. If you do sign up (please do!),
toaster or other new components might not ship until version 1.1
(probably towards the end of the year, no date set yet), but that's
not too long to wait!

Regards
Patrick

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net

danielepiras80
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-31

Hi Patrick,

Thank you for your response.

I think that I'll do an incubator project.

I'm developing also another swing component to manage settings as outlook way..(with a image-list and for each entry in the list a different "page" is showed). As soon as I finish the "base code" I think that release also this component to the community.

evickroy
Offline
Joined: 2004-07-23

> I'm developing also another swing component to manage
> settings as outlook way..(with a image-list and for
> each entry in the list a different "page" is showed).
> As soon as I finish the "base code" I think that
> release also this component to the community.

Not to sound discouraging, but have you seen the L2FProd components? There is a component that sounds like what you are discribing. You can check them out at http://common.l2fprod.com/

Erik

danielepiras80
Offline
Joined: 2005-08-31

You are right! .. I didn't know l2fprod components. A really nice work.
Thank you for the information.

Daniele

evickroy
Offline
Joined: 2004-07-23

> You are right! .. I didn't know l2fprod components. A
> really nice work.
> Thank you for the information.
>
> Daniele

Glad that I could help. There is a version of the L2FProd TaskPane component in Swingx called JXTaskPane. I'm not sure if they are planning to contribute implementations of the other components to Swingx, however. I really hope so. ;)

Erik

P.S. The JToaster component looks really cool. Nice job!

Sumit Kishore

One (erroneous) explanation of what JToaster was on this thread was an alert
box that pops up from the bottom right of the (swing) frame. Another thing
discussed was a headless alert box a al OS X that sprang out of the title
bar.

How about adding these kind of alert boxes as well?

Sumit.

On 8/31/05, jdnc-interest@javadesktop.org
wrote:
>
> > You are right! .. I didn't know l2fprod components. A
> > really nice work.
> > Thank you for the information.
> >
> > Daniele
>
>
> Glad that I could help. There is a version of the L2FProd TaskPane
> component in Swingx called JXTaskPane. I'm not sure if they are planning to
> contribute implementations of the other components to Swingx, however. I
> really hope so. ;)
>
> Erik
>
> P.S. The JToaster component looks really cool. Nice job!
> ---
> [Message sent by forum member 'evickroy' (Erik Vickroy)]
>
> http://www.javadesktop.org/forums/thread.jspa?messageID=110435
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net
>
>
[att1.html]

Patrick Wright

Sumit

On 9/1/05, Sumit Kishore wrote:
> One (erroneous) explanation of what JToaster was on this thread was an alert
> box that pops up from the bottom right of the (swing) frame. Another thing
> discussed was a headless alert box a al OS X that sprang out of the title
> bar.
>
> How about adding these kind of alert boxes as well?

It would be good if you could spec out what you'd like either in the
Wiki or on an RFE so this doesn't get lost. AFAIK, no more (new)
components will be added before 1.0.

Just so this doesn't get lost...
Patrick

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdnc-unsubscribe@jdnc.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdnc-help@jdnc.dev.java.net

gfx
Offline
Joined: 2003-06-14

I saw that on ClientJava and it seems nice. It reminds me of one of the hacks in the book Swing Hacks. Did you already try it on several OSes? I definitely would like to see that in SwingLabs (SwingX or FX) as more and more applications make use of that kind of notifications (MSN, Skype, Trillian, also see Growl on MacOS X, etc.)