Skip to main content

A few questions for the founders

2 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

Hi Guys. I'm working on an article about JDIC for Java.net and I was
wondering if the founders could answer a few questions for me.

Who created JDIC initially? I'd love to give credit for this great
project.

Why was JDIC created? Was it an internal project? Was it part of
the JDK that didn't make it in? Was it originally support for another
project?

Why was it released as open source? Was it created as part of Java
Desktop System and then opened to gain more support? Was it a project
that was going to be abandoned? Did management decide that opensourcing
would improve the quality?

Are there any plans to pull parts of JDIC into the standard JDK in
future releases?

And I'm sure you're tired of asking this, but what is the status of
MacOSX support?

Thanks for all of the great work.
I'll have a new screensaver to donate soon too.

Thanks,
Joshua

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Thorsten Laux

Joshua,

Joshua Marinacci wrote:
> Hi Guys. I'm working on an article about JDIC for Java.net and I was
> wondering if the founders could answer a few questions for me.
>
> Who created JDIC initially? I'd love to give credit for this great
> project.

The JDIC project was initiated by the Desktop group within Sun. It has
since been a joint effort between the desktop and the J2SE group.

> Why was JDIC created? Was it an internal project? Was it part of the
> JDK that didn't make it in? Was it originally support for another project?

JDIC was created to enable Java applications to better integrate with
the desktop their running on. One motivation was that we had just picked
Java to become the recommended developer platform for the Java Desktop
System and we wanted Java applications to integrate as well into this
desktop as native applications. At the same time we needed to ensure
platform independence so that ISVs could write applications once and run
them on windows as well as on JDS. Another motivation was that we had
frequently heard feature requests in the desktop integration area from
existing J2SE customers.

> Why was it released as open source? Was it created as part of Java
> Desktop System and then opened to gain more support? Was it a project
> that was going to be abandoned? Did management decide that opensourcing
> would improve the quality?

We started it as an open source project because we wanted to engage with
developers early and get their perspective on our APIs as well as on
most often needed integration features. We also felt that an open source
project would work well with the Linux developer community which we care
about a lot.

> Are there any plans to pull parts of JDIC into the standard JDK in
> future releases?

We will definitely look at JDIC features for future versions of J2SE.

> And I'm sure you're tired of asking this, but what is the status of
> MacOSX support?

Some features of JDIC are already ported to MacOS and a download is
available. Some work still needs to be done and we support any such efforts.

Thorsten

> Thanks for all of the great work.
> I'll have a new screensaver to donate soon too.
>
> Thanks,
> Joshua
>
> ---------------------------------------------------------------------
> To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
> For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net
>

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net

Roger Brinkley

Joshua Marinacci wrote:

> Hi Guys. I'm working on an article about JDIC for Java.net and I was
> wondering if the founders could answer a few questions for me.
>
> Who created JDIC initially? I'd love to give credit for this great
> project.
>
> Why was JDIC created? Was it an internal project? Was it part of the
> JDK that didn't make it in? Was it originally support for another project?
>
> Why was it released as open source? Was it created as part of Java
> Desktop System and then opened to gain more support? Was it a project
> that was going to be abandoned? Did management decide that opensourcing
> would improve the quality?
>
> Are there any plans to pull parts of JDIC into the standard JDK in
> future releases?
>
> And I'm sure you're tired of asking this, but what is the status of
> MacOSX support?
>
> Thanks for all of the great work.
> I'll have a new screensaver to donate soon too.

Josh,

When you finish the article can we post it in the javadesktop community
rather than java.net? The java.net guys will pick it up eventually.

Binky

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: jdic-unsubscribe@jdic.dev.java.net
For additional commands, e-mail: jdic-help@jdic.dev.java.net