Skip to main content

[JAVAHELP] Display Problems with jh2.0 DefaultHelpBroker

4 replies [Last post]
Anonymous

I am testing the candidate release version of jh2.0cr on one of our
helpsets (originally created using jh1.1.3), but I'm experiencing problems
with TOC Merging and the Views being displayed when viewing the helpset
from within the parent application.

The helpset utilises static merging and the new UniteAppendMerge action for
the TOC view. The SortMerge action is being used for the Index and Search
views. I have also defined views for 'Favorites' and 'Presentation' within
the master helpset.

When the helpset is displayed using the hsviewer supplied with jh2.0,
everything works fine. I have also tested it under various versions of JRE
(1.3.0, 1.3.1_06 and 1.4.1).

However, when I plug the helpset into our application, none of the jh2.0
functionality is being displayed.

The Merging is displayed as the basic AppendMerge action (jh1.1.3) and none
of the new Views are displayed.

To ensure that the old jh1.1.3 jhall.jar is not being picked up by the
application somewhere along the line, I have removed jhall.jar (v1.1.3)
from both the application and the JRE/lib/ext directories and replaced them
with v2.0 jars.
I call the application from a batch file, which defines the version and
location of JRE being used, as well as the classpath on which the jh2.0
jhall.jar is specified.

I have checked with our developers, to see if there is anything that they
set in their code when they call the help, but it appears as though they
only call the DefaultHelpBroker to display the main helpset (nothing
clever, just the basic functionality).

Is there anything specific that they should be setting, in order for the
jh2.0 functionality to be displayed?

====================================================
Chris Morris
Technical Author
SAA Consultants Ltd
http://www.saaconsultants.com
http://www.reims.net
====================================================

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Roger Brinkley

Chris Morris wrote:
> I am testing the candidate release version of jh2.0cr on one of our
> helpsets (originally created using jh1.1.3), but I'm experiencing problems
> with TOC Merging and the Views being displayed when viewing the helpset
> from within the parent application.
>
> The helpset utilises static merging and the new UniteAppendMerge action for
> the TOC view. The SortMerge action is being used for the Index and Search
> views. I have also defined views for 'Favorites' and 'Presentation' within
> the master helpset.
>
> When the helpset is displayed using the hsviewer supplied with jh2.0,
> everything works fine. I have also tested it under various versions of JRE
> (1.3.0, 1.3.1_06 and 1.4.1).
>
> However, when I plug the helpset into our application, none of the jh2.0
> functionality is being displayed.
>
> The Merging is displayed as the basic AppendMerge action (jh1.1.3) and none
> of the new Views are displayed.
>
> To ensure that the old jh1.1.3 jhall.jar is not being picked up by the
> application somewhere along the line, I have removed jhall.jar (v1.1.3)
> from both the application and the JRE/lib/ext directories and replaced them
> with v2.0 jars.
> I call the application from a batch file, which defines the version and
> location of JRE being used, as well as the classpath on which the jh2.0
> jhall.jar is specified.
>
> I have checked with our developers, to see if there is anything that they
> set in their code when they call the help, but it appears as though they
> only call the DefaultHelpBroker to display the main helpset (nothing
> clever, just the basic functionality).
>
> Is there anything specific that they should be setting, in order for the
> jh2.0 functionality to be displayed?

You have to be picking up an old jh.jar file somewhere. It could be in a
jre/lib/ext directory. Maybe the application is creating it's own
classloader. Keep looking.

Binky

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.

Lisa J Dyer

Hi,

I am considering JavaHelp as one of the output types for OLH and don't know
a lot about it yet. In comparison to pure HTML output types, JavaHelp
appears to have the following limitations. Hoever, I'm getting contradicting
information about each issue and am hoping you can clear them all up for me.

My impression is that I would lose the following features using JavaHelp:

. External links, mailto links, or FTP URLs
. Image mapping
. Glossary pane
.

tags
. Skins (I can't figure out anywhere how to apply skins, although I'm told
they can be)
. Certain other customizations such as link and text popup background color,
or custom Table of Contents look and feel
. DHTML
. Selecting specific fonts or font families
. Table alignment
. CSS (again, told that CSSs can be applied, but not sure if true)
. Custom windows
. JNI required for using JavaHelp with apps other than Java

Is any or all of this true? And if not, do I need to use an additional layer
such as JNI etc to implement each? Your help is much appreciated.

- Lisa

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.

Roger Brinkley

Lisa J Dyer wrote:
> Hi,
>
> I am considering JavaHelp as one of the output types for OLH and don't know
> a lot about it yet. In comparison to pure HTML output types, JavaHelp
> appears to have the following limitations. Hoever, I'm getting contradicting
> information about each issue and am hoping you can clear them all up for me.
>
> My impression is that I would lose the following features using JavaHelp:
>
> . External links, mailto links, or FTP URLs

External links - no
mailto, ftp URL - yes would loose

> . Image mapping

No

> . Glossary pane

?? Don't know what this is or where it comes from.

> .

tags

No. Pretty simple tag.

> . Skins (I can't figure out anywhere how to apply skins, although I'm told
> they can be)

Have no idea.

> . Certain other customizations such as link and text popup background color,
> or custom Table of Contents look and feel

I thin link and text popup background color work.
Custom Table of Contents Look and Feel- What??? You can customize the
look and feel all you want. It just isn't in HTML (why would
that - yuck, gross).

> . DHTML

Nope.

> . Selecting specific fonts or font families

Err!!! Wrong answer try again. No you can set fonts and font families.

> . Table alignment

Err!!! Wrong answer try again. However, you might need the latest JDK
for this.

> . CSS (again, told that CSSs can be applied, but not sure if true)

CSS1 works.

> . Custom windows

V2.0 supplys all forms of custom windows.

> . JNI required for using JavaHelp with apps other than Java

Sort of. You have to have some way of activating JavaHelp and
communicating with it. Some people have used pipes for that.

> Is any or all of this true? And if not, do I need to use an additional layer
> such as JNI etc to implement each? Your help is much appreciated.

I don't think you'd use JNI. For the external sources you might need to
create some lightweight components to fire off the mail handler, etc.

Binky

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.

Lisa J Dyer

Thanks for your clarifications.

- Lisa
----- Original Message -----
From: "Roger Brinkley"
To:
Sent: Wednesday, September 10, 2003 11:40 AM
Subject: Re: [JAVAHELP] JavaHelp limitations

> Lisa J Dyer wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > I am considering JavaHelp as one of the output types for OLH and don't
know
> > a lot about it yet. In comparison to pure HTML output types, JavaHelp
> > appears to have the following limitations. Hoever, I'm getting
contradicting
> > information about each issue and am hoping you can clear them all up for
me.
> >
> > My impression is that I would lose the following features using
JavaHelp:
> >
> > . External links, mailto links, or FTP URLs
>
> External links - no
> mailto, ftp URL - yes would loose
>
> > . Image mapping
>
> No
>
> > . Glossary pane
>
> ?? Don't know what this is or where it comes from.
>
>
> > .

tags
>
> No. Pretty simple tag.
>
> > . Skins (I can't figure out anywhere how to apply skins, although I'm
told
> > they can be)
>
> Have no idea.
>
>
> > . Certain other customizations such as link and text popup background
color,
> > or custom Table of Contents look and feel
>
> I thin link and text popup background color work.
> Custom Table of Contents Look and Feel- What??? You can customize the
> look and feel all you want. It just isn't in HTML (why would
> that - yuck, gross).
>
>
> > . DHTML
>
> Nope.
>
> > . Selecting specific fonts or font families
>
> Err!!! Wrong answer try again. No you can set fonts and font families.
>
>
> > . Table alignment
>
> Err!!! Wrong answer try again. However, you might need the latest JDK
> for this.
>
> > . CSS (again, told that CSSs can be applied, but not sure if true)
>
> CSS1 works.
>
>
> > . Custom windows
>
> V2.0 supplys all forms of custom windows.
>
>
> > . JNI required for using JavaHelp with apps other than Java
>
> Sort of. You have to have some way of activating JavaHelp and
> communicating with it. Some people have used pipes for that.
>
>
> > Is any or all of this true? And if not, do I need to use an additional
layer
> > such as JNI etc to implement each? Your help is much appreciated.
>
> I don't think you'd use JNI. For the external sources you might need to
> create some lightweight components to fire off the mail handler, etc.
>
> Binky
>
>
****************************************************************************
****
>
> You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
> "SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
> are available at
http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
> Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.
>

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.