Skip to main content

Server-based JavaHelp problems

1 reply [Last post]
martinpg
Offline
Joined: 2007-02-16

Hi, couple of issues with using JavaHelp 2.0 within a J2EE Web application.

1. The ValidateTag class seems to mangle the URL to the HelpSet. If you specify the URL as "http://...", then it sticks a "/" in front of it, and then adds the server information on it again. I decompiled the ValidateTag clas and fixed this, but this is going to bug people.

2. I can't get the tocitem expand attribute to affect the way the table of contents is displayed. I have tags like this:

But the Chapter 1 item is displayed in expanded form.

I tried to wrap everything in an extra tag (there was something in a forum about this), but it doesn't seem to help. Any help with this would be welcomed.

3. My index is medium-sized (c. 16 FrameMaker pages = 1700 indexitems) but when I click the Index tab in the Online Help, a message is displayed that a script is running which will slow down my computer. It does complete eventually and the index view displays, but it's borderline unacceptable for my application. Is there a way around this?

Thanks, Martin

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Roger Brinkley

java-help@JAVADESKTOP.ORG wrote:
> Hi, couple of issues with using JavaHelp 2.0 within a J2EE Web
> application.
>
> 1. The ValidateTag class seems to mangle the URL to the HelpSet. If
> you specify the URL as "http://...", then it sticks a "/" in front of
> it, and then adds the server information on it again. I decompiled
> the ValidateTag clas and fixed this, but this is going to bug people.

File a bug with the suggested change. Of course I know you didn't create
a new jh.jar file with that change as that would violate your license
agreement.

>
> 2. I can't get the tocitem expand attribute to affect the way the
> table of contents is displayed. I have tags like this:
>
> > expand="false"> But the
> Chapter 1 item is displayed in expanded form.
>
> I tried to wrap everything in an extra tag (there was
> something in a forum about this), but it doesn't seem to help. Any
> help with this would be welcomed.

Probably a bug. It's been a while since I looked at that.

> 3. My index is medium-sized (c. 16 FrameMaker pages = 1700
> indexitems) but when I click the Index tab in the Online Help, a
> message is displayed that a script is running which will slow down my
> computer. It does complete eventually and the index view displays,
> but it's borderline unacceptable for my application. Is there a way
> around this?

Sounds like a feature of your browser. You could look into other display
mechanisms. The demo is just that a demo. There may be faster ways of
doing the display. It might be faster to use the rich client for this size.

Binky

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.