Skip to main content

Printing Infinite Pages Problem Continues

5 replies [Last post]
khanten
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-17

I posted on this topic back in June/July and submitted a bug report on July 14, to which I've gotten no response and it is not in the bug database. I continue to have this problem with JH2.0. (I'm using RoboHelp X3.) The first time I try to print a topic, the only print range option available is All (the page range, which is not enabled, shows 1 to 1). I click OK and the topic prints. When I select another topic and click Print, the Pages option is selected, but the range is given as from 1 to 9999. If you are crazy enough to click OK, it prints the topic plus many blank pages. I'd just like to know if there are no plans to fix this so I can just warn users of this problem. Thanks for your help.

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
Roger Brinkley

Helen Bright wrote:
>>>topic and click Print, the Pages option is selected, but the range is
>>>given as from 1 to 9999. If you are crazy enough to click OK, it
>>>prints the topic plus many blank pages. I'd just like to know if
>>>there are no plans to fix this so I can just warn users of this
>>>problem. Thanks for your help.

The 1 to 9999 problem has been fixed in V2.0_01. On windows the print
range will not be enabled and on Solaris it will be 1 to 1 if selected.
Not ideal but will prevent forests of paper streaming from printers.

Binky

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.

khanten
Offline
Joined: 2006-02-17

Here is the text from the email I got after I submitted by bug report. Please let me know what else I need to provide you with so that you can reproduce this:

Your report has been assigned an internal review ID of: 191410

This review ID is NOT visible on the "Java Developer Connection" (JDC).

We greatly appreciate your interest in improving the quality
of Java(tm) Technology from Sun Microsystems.

Please be aware that the large volume of reports we receive
sometimes prevents us from responding individually to each
message.

We currently have a three week response time for responding to
Bug Reports. If the information is determined to be a new bug,
or a duplicate of a known bug, you will receive a followup email
containing a seven digit bug number. You may search for this bug
number on the "Java Developer Connection" (JDC) at this URL:
http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/index.html.

If you just reported an issue that could have a major
impact on your project and you require a response,
please consider purchasing one of the support offerings
at this URL:
http://java.sun.com/support/index.html
------------------------------------------------------
dateCreated: Mon Jul 14 10:42:38 MDT 2003
type: bug
cust_name: Kathy Hanten
cust_email: khanten@hmssoftware.com
jdcid:
status: Waiting
category: javahelp
subcategory: other
company: HMS Software
release: v2.0
hardware: x86
OSversion: windows_2000
priority: 4
synopsis: Printing infinite pages
description: FULL PRODUCT VERSION :
Java 2 SDK, Standard Edition, Version 1.4.0, JavaHelp 2.0, and Java 2 Runtime Environment, Standard Edition, Version 1.4.0. I initially had this problem with JH 1.1.3 so I tried 2.0 as suggested and still had the same problem.

FULL OS VERSION :
Windows 2000 Professional

EXTRA RELEVANT SYSTEM CONFIGURATION :
I am using RoboHelp X3 to create JavaHelp.

A DESCRIPTION OF THE PROBLEM :
The first time I print a help topic, the only print range option available is All (the page range, which is not enabled, shows 1 to 1). I click OK and the topic prints fine. When I select another topic and click Print, the Pages option is now selected, but the range is given as from 1 to 9999. If you click OK, it prints the topic plus many blank pages. While users can adjust the range to just get the one page, they've complained that it is "cumbersome" and some people haven't paid much attention to the print dialog and ended up wasting paper.

STEPS TO FOLLOW TO REPRODUCE THE PROBLEM :
1. Select a help topic.
2. Click Print icon. Print dialog should display with All option selected. Page range is not enabled, but should show range of 1 to 1, 1 to 2, etc.
4. Click OK on print dialog.
5. Select the same or another help topic.
6. Click Print icon. Page range should now show 1-9999.

Let me know if you need anything else.

EXPECTED VERSUS ACTUAL BEHAVIOR :
EXPECTED -
The second time I tried to print a topic in the help, I was expecting that I would get a page range of 1 to 1 or 1 to 3 max since I try to keep my help topics short.
ACTUAL -
As I said above, the second time I try to print a help topic, I get a page range of 1 to 9999.

REPRODUCIBILITY :
This bug can be reproduced always.

CUSTOMER SUBMITTED WORKAROUND :
I have added a note into my help telling users that they need to doublecheck the page ranges before printing so that they don't end up with a gazillion blank pages and tie up the printer.
workaround:
comments: (company - HMS Software , email - khanten@hmssoftware.com)

> I posted on this topic back in June/July and
> submitted a bug report on July 14, to which I've
> gotten no response and it is not in the bug database.
> I continue to have this problem with JH2.0. (I'm
> using RoboHelp X3.) The first time I try to print a
> topic, the only print range option available is All
> (the page range, which is not enabled, shows 1 to 1).
> I click OK and the topic prints. When I select
> another topic and click Print, the Pages option is
> selected, but the range is given as from 1 to 9999.
> If you are crazy enough to click OK, it prints the
> topic plus many blank pages. I'd just like to know if
> there are no plans to fix this so I can just warn
> users of this problem. Thanks for your help.

Roger Brinkley

java-help@JAVADESKTOP.ORG wrote:
> I posted on this topic back in June/July and submitted a bug report
> on July 14, to which I've gotten no response and it is not in the bug
> database. I continue to have this problem with JH2.0. (I'm using
> RoboHelp X3.) The first time I try to print a topic, the only print
> range option available is All (the page range, which is not enabled,
> shows 1 to 1). I click OK and the topic prints. When I select another
> topic and click Print, the Pages option is selected, but the range is
> given as from 1 to 9999. If you are crazy enough to click OK, it
> prints the topic plus many blank pages. I'd just like to know if
> there are no plans to fix this so I can just warn users of this
> problem. Thanks for your help.

Not knowing what the problem is (though I suspect it might be a problem
in the JDK) or having a reproducable problem to evaluate I can assure
you that their are no plans to fix this in the immediate future.
However, if you have a bug ID and have supplied a reproducable example
then there is a good chance it would be fixed in the next release of
JavaHelp if it is a JavaHelp problem.

Binky

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.

Helen Bright

On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Roger Brinkley wrote:

> > topic and click Print, the Pages option is selected, but the range is
> > given as from 1 to 9999. If you are crazy enough to click OK, it
> > prints the topic plus many blank pages. I'd just like to know if
> > there are no plans to fix this so I can just warn users of this
> > problem. Thanks for your help.
>
> Not knowing what the problem is (though I suspect it might be a problem
> in the JDK) or having a reproducable problem to evaluate I can assure
> you that their are no plans to fix this in the immediate future.

Hi,

I have come across this problem before and it is not specific to JavaHelp.
It is a problem with the JDK (on windows rather than any other platform),
about which there are no plans to fix, see:

http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4364936.html

(you need a login and password to access this page).
A couple of workaraounds are listed here, but I think the main solution is
to use the pageable rather than the printable interface. Maybe the print
code in JavaHelp could be changed to do this?

Helen

--
Helen Bright
Assistant IT Manager
Astrophysics
Imperial College
020 75947532

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.

Roger Brinkley

Helen Bright wrote:
> On Thu, 18 Sep 2003, Roger Brinkley wrote:
>
>
>>>topic and click Print, the Pages option is selected, but the range is
>>>given as from 1 to 9999. If you are crazy enough to click OK, it
>>>prints the topic plus many blank pages. I'd just like to know if
>>>there are no plans to fix this so I can just warn users of this
>>>problem. Thanks for your help.
>>
>>Not knowing what the problem is (though I suspect it might be a problem
>>in the JDK) or having a reproducable problem to evaluate I can assure
>>you that their are no plans to fix this in the immediate future.
>
>
> Hi,
>
> I have come across this problem before and it is not specific to JavaHelp.
> It is a problem with the JDK (on windows rather than any other platform),
> about which there are no plans to fix, see:
>
> http://developer.java.sun.com/developer/bugParade/bugs/4364936.html
>
> (you need a login and password to access this page).
> A couple of workaraounds are listed here, but I think the main solution is
> to use the pageable rather than the printable interface. Maybe the print
> code in JavaHelp could be changed to do this?

I'll have to look further into it. I suspect that the printable
interface is a new interface introduced in 1.4 or maybe 1.3 which means
problems supporting earlier interfaces. I'm not too keen on writing two
sets of print code to handle this ugly problem that should be handled in
the JDK.

Binky

********************************************************************************

You may leave the list at any time by sending message with no subject and
"SIGNOFF JAVAHELP-INTEREST" in the body to LISTSERV@JAVA.SUN.COM. Archives
are available at http://archives.java.sun.com/archives/javahelp-interest.html.
Submit bug reports at http://java.sun.com/cgi-bin/bugreport.cgi.