Skip to main content

Migrating a project from kenai.com to java.net

5 replies [Last post]
jsnel

Dear Java.net community,

In February 2010 I created a project on kenai.com. Not long thereafter it was announced that kenai infrastructure would be adopted by java.net and that kenai.com would disappear. Now project creation on kenai.com has been disabeled but still many projects remain on kenai.com with no clear instruction for project owners on how to migrate their projects. The kenai homepage features a notication dated Nov 2011 stating that "We'll be publishing instructions for moving projects to java.net in the next few months." I don't really want to wait until Nov 2012 so I was wondering if perhaps these instructions are already available somewhere in draft form (I don't need step-by-step instructions, any rough sketch will do). Does anyone have any idea?

Reply viewing options

Select your preferred way to display the comments and click "Save settings" to activate your changes.
sonyabarry
Administrator

Unfortunately, we don't have any kind of scripts or plan written yet, and there's still no goal date to start the work.  There are a lot of factors here, but the two big ones are:

1. Right now our engineering team is dedicated full time to re-engineering the stack to live on new hardware, newer flavor of linux, in a new datacenter, and for performance improvements.  

2. After the data center move our next priority is replacing SYMPA as our mailing list manager.  Right now we are running beyond capacity on Java.net, adding hundreds of new projects at once will bring it down entirely.  

At this point, I think it's still a year out.  In the mean time, my assistant and I are going through the projects over there and starting to pare down the junk and spam, and try to figure out how big the problem of moving these projects really is - we know all 18,000 aren't going to move.  You may see some emails from me about projects on Kenai as we wind it down slowly.  

If you would like to go ahead and set up a sister project on Java.net and copy over your content, you're welcome to.  I just don't have a defined path for you yet. 

Sonya Barry

Java.net Community Manager 

drequena

Any news on this front?

My personal project can live for a while without support, heelp forum postings, community admin et al. but I'm project admin for a bigger project and it's becoming harder and harder going on letting reasonable questions go unanswered.

At any rate, even if there are no change since your July post, please, please, get someone to post that on Kenai's welcome or site news pages. Last update there is 2 and a half years old now!

I understand reviewing 18k+ projects is gonna take some time but the answer is easy: you just don't. Prepare an opt-in migration process, review each project at migration request time, and then, maybe a year from now, you archive remaining projects just in case, close down kenai, and forget the whole mess.

That'd would be very convenient for everyone. too much maybe?

Honestly, current Oracle's (lack of?) aproach to the issue makes no sense to me. This only warrants having all Kenai projects lingering in limbo for at least 5 more years.

Thanks in advance for *any* news.

sonyabarry
Administrator

Realistically it's going to be early 2014 before we get to it. The stack is still being maintained in parallel with Java.net, and Tonya and I are slowly working on cleaning up the spam and dud projects on Kenai. There just continue to be higher priority issues we have to deal with before we can take the time for the migration.

yardus

I am bitten by this as well. Migrating source repositories is quite easy (in case of hg or svn), as well as the wikis, but getting the issues over is almost impossible. Keeping the mailing lists would be nice to have but loosing the issues is the real bummer :(

-JB-

sonyabarry
Administrator
If you want to leave it on Kenai for a while longer to keep your issues intact, you're welcome to do so. While I'm not officially "community manager" of Kenai, we are working at cleaning it up since it looks like it will be with us for at least another year, and when it does move over, I don't want to inherit the mess here.
drequena

Any news on this front?

My personal project can live for a while without support, forum posting, community admin et al. but I'm project admin for a bigger project and it's becoming harder and harder going on without anwers to fully reasonable doubts.

At any rate, even if there are no change from your July post, please, please, get someone to post that on Kenai's welcome or site news pages. Last update is 2 and a half years old now!

I understand reviewing 18k+ projects is gonna take some time but the answer is easy: you just don't. Prepare an opt-in migration process, review each project at migration request time, and then, maybe a year from now, you archive remaining projects just in case, close down kenai, and forget the whole mess.

That'd would be very convenient for everyone. too much maybe?

Honestly, current Oracle's aproach to the issue makes no sense. It only warrants having all Kenai projects in limbo for at least 5 years.

Thanks for *any* news.